Notices
Tickets Theme Park Ticket questions and advice

Old 6 Oct 21, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
dan223
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
My concern is that, going forward, it means we’ll have to buy dated-based tickets. Which means you’ve got to specify exactly when the ticket will activate beforehand. And it means that the price will probably increase at peak times.

If nothing else, the old Ultimate tickets were easier to explain to new people here on the DIBB, plus it was easy to state what the price is. Now it’s going to be a bit more complicated.
Since you have to reserve park days these days (and previously most people here booked FP in advance) I don’t think it really makes that much difference, you just can’t buy park tickets before you have booked flights/hotels etc. it’s not much harder to explain, you just need to state when you want your first day to be when buying. But yes it does open concerns to whether Disney will adjust pricing based on when you visit, which will possibly be another hit for families that can only visit in peak times.

Though there are also perks to this change, some people may only visit 7 times over a 14 day period and the cheaper ticket maybe better, and for those visiting longer than 2 weeks are unlikely going to want to visit Disney every day over day there three week holiday

Edited at 06:50 PM.
dan223 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 21, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
nth09
Apprentice Imagineer

nth09's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Here comes date specific pricing on the ultimates that are no longer called ultimates. I give it 6 months before it happens. More $ for Chapek.
nth09 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 21, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
KBRB
slightly serious Dibber

This has to be a forerunner to charging more on peak and off.

Keep at it Disney.
KBRB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 21, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
ScoopsAhoy
Imagineer

Never thought I’d say this but reckon next year will be our last Disney trip.
Chapek giving the people what they want according to some .. yikes.
ScoopsAhoy is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 21, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by dan223 View Post
Since you have to reserve park days these days (and previously most people here booked FP in advance) I don’t think it really makes that much difference, you just can’t buy park tickets before you have booked flights/hotels etc. it’s not much harder to explain, you just need to state when you want your first day to be when buying. But yes it does open concerns to whether Disney will adjust pricing based on when you visit, which will possibly be another hit for families that can only visit in peak times.
Previously you'd just go to ticket sellers and buy an Ultimate ticket that covered a whole year. Then some time later, perhaps just a few weeks before you visit, you'd book your park reservations. Now there's an additional step - you need to choose the date you want the ticket to start when you buy your ticket. And also book your park reservations sometime afterwards, noting that some people might not pay off the full cost of the tickets at the point that they book them. Plus, if you later decide to change the date of your holiday - perhaps shift the start date by a week or go in autumn rather than spring - then you'll need to update the tickets as well as the hotel and flights.

It's a minor thing, but it is another complication.

Plus, just explaining the price of tickets to people is more complicated now. It's the same when the American Magic Your Way tickets changed to being date-based. Previously you could just remember and state one price. Now you have to ask someone when they are thinking of going in order to tell them what they should expect the price to be.

Originally Posted by dan223 View Post
SThough there are also perks to this change, some people may only visit 7 times over a 14 day period and the cheaper ticket maybe better,
The old 7 day Ultimates used to be useable on any 7 days over a 14 day period. So there's no change there. And we know that the 7 day tickets were often the same price as the 14 day tickets.

There is a perk with the 14 day tickets now being valid over 18 days rather than 15 days (explaining the 15 day thing seemed to be a pain at times). It's a pity this wasn't extended to 21 days instead of 18 days, but hey ho.

I admit these are minor inconveniences. The main concern is that this likely paves the way to date-based pricing. And, no doubt, prices during peak times will increases whilst prices during off-peak times won't decrease.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 10:55 AM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 21, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
smallgingerone
Earning More Ears

Does anyone have a link to the Official announcement for this? I have had a look and can't seee anything.
smallgingerone is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 21, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
dan223
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Previously you'd just go to ticket sellers and buy an Ultimate ticket that covered a whole year. Then some time later, perhaps just a few weeks before you visit, you'd book your park reservations. Now there's an additional step - you need to choose the date you want the ticket to start when you buy your ticket. And also book your park reservations sometime afterwards, noting that some people might not pay off the full cost of the tickets at the point that they book them. Plus, if you later decide to change the date of your holiday - perhaps shift the start date by a week or go in autumn rather than spring - then you'll need to update the tickets as well as the hotel and flights.

It's a minor thing, but it is another complication.

Plus, just explaining the price of tickets to people is more complicated now. It's the same when the American Magic Your Way tickets changed to being date-based. Previously you could just remember and state one price. Now you have to ask someone when they are thinking of going in order to tell them what they should expect the price to be.

The old 7 day Ultimates used to be useable on any 7 days over a 14 day period. So there's no change there. And we know that the 7 day tickets were often the same price as the 14 day tickets.

There is a perk with the 14 day tickets now being valid over 18 days rather than 15 days (explaining the 15 day thing seemed to be a pain at times). It's a pity this wasn't extended to 21 days instead of 18 days, but hey ho.

I admit these are minor inconveniences. The main concern is that this likely paves the way to date-based pricing. And, no doubt, prices during peak times will increases whilst prices during off-peak times won't decrease.
I wasn’t actually aware you could use 7 day ticket over 14. There is no reason you need to buy tickets straight away unless you want to secure a certain price. No reason why you couldn’t leave it a month before. Overall it really isn’t a big deal, I wouldn’t buy tickets until I have flights etc confirmed, and I’d also reserve when I have them, don’t want to risk not doing the reservation incase capacity got reduced for whatever reason and then I’ve left it too late
dan223 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 21, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by smallgingerone View Post
Does anyone have a link to the Official announcement for this? I have had a look and can't seee anything.
AFAIK WDW UK do not make any public announcements regarding tickets. Generally, we only find out information like this by ticket agencies such as ATD.
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 21, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Sneeks85
Very Serious Dibber

We booked our tickets through ATD a few months back and paid outright, so assume the ultimates we have will stay as is. Have to be honest though, as we are going for 18 nights I would have welcomed the ability to use tickets over 18 days! I hope this isn't paving the way for date based pricing, but can't see any other reason for this change. Just glad they aren't getting rid of 14 day tickets full stop!
Sneeks85 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 21, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

As above, I cannot see any other reason for this other than to impose surge based pricing models.