Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 Oct 21, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney Jo
Imagineer

Bowel Cancer **update page 5 post 41*

My DH has suffered for years for problems with his bowel, the NHS tried 2 colonoscopies but could not get past a certain section and diagnosed him with IBS.

It got a lot worse around 4 months ago and he decided to go private for the tests (luckily I have a private health insurance policy with work), he had a colonoscopy - but again they couldn't get past a certain point, so they did a CT Colonoscopy. We went for the results yesterday (got a message at 7.30pm Tuesdays that they needed to see him face to face Thursday at 8.45am and to bring someone along if he wanted to).

The CT scan showed a large mass that they believe is cancer in his bowel. We are both so shocked, he is 42. His liver, pancreas and kidney's all look normal. He has another CT scan on Thursday of his chest to check that nothing has spread and then next week another colonoscopy where they are going to sedate him more, or even put him under general anesthetic to be able to get all the way round with the camera to look at the mass properly.

If it is confirmed then they plan to remove part of his bowel and either re-attach it or he will have a stoma for a while before a reversal can be done.

Is there anyone that has sadly had Bowel cancer, or know someone who has it that could maybe give me an idea of what could be involved, what as a wife I can do to help and the healing time frame please?

Edited at 12:28 PM.
Disney Jo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 21, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
shona
Apprentice Imagineer

I can’t answer your questions on bowel cancer but we did have a friend who had it caught early and is fine now. However we two have had a serious health bad news this month so totally understand the shock factor and wanted to send you big hugs. I would contact a bowel cancer charity or forums on their site where you can get lots of answers with out the scary Google search.
shona is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 21, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

No advice but sending you the biggest of hugs. 💜
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 21, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney Jo
Imagineer

Originally Posted by shona View Post
I can’t answer your questions on bowel cancer but we did have a friend who had it caught early and is fine now. However we two have had a serious health bad news this month so totally understand the shock factor and wanted to send you big hugs. I would contact a bowel cancer charity or forums on their site where you can get lots of answers with out the scary Google search.
Thank you, sending huge hugs back to you as well.
August 2018 - Villa at Oak Island Community
December 2021 - Art of Animation Cars Suite
Disney Jo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 21, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
My cousin had bowel cancer stage 3, they operated and she had chemo by tablet I think and is fully recovered.I suppose it depends where it is and how bad before they can give you a treatment plan. My aunt in Australia also had it when she was younger and is 92 now, hope it’s been caught early and he makes a full recovery. Stay strong it’s a very worrying time and you’ll know more after the tests xxx ❤️
Old 8 Oct 21, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Really sorry to hear this, it must be a huge shock to you both. My dad was diagnosed with bowel cancer in his early 80s. He had the tumor removed and a stoma. He recovered really well and was home within a few days once they were confident that it was working ok and he knew how to care for it. He went on to have a reversal a couple of years later which also he recovered from really well.
He had chemo in tablet form and found that he was more tired than normal but he didn’t feel ill or lose his hair. I think the worst bit is not knowing. Once dad got a clear plan of treatment then we found it much easier to deal with.
Sending my best wishes to you both xx

Edited at 09:20 AM.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 21, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

I do know of someone receiving treatment right now. He has a bag at the moment and has been having chemo. They are hoping to reattach the bowel next month.
His chemo has been rather unusual (in my limited experience) in that it has been done on the hoof as it were.
His had spread to his liver and lungs and things did look bad for a while but he has come through it remarkably well. In fact you would never know looking at him.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 21, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
JoJo88
VIP Dibber

I have no advice but just wanted to send big hugs and hopes that you get positive news at the next appointment. Thinking of you x
JoJo88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 21, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Sorry to hear this, a potential cancer diagnosis is devastating. I can appreciate what you are both going through, Mrs O was diagnosed with rectal cancer almost two years ago after a sigmoidoscopy, colonoscopy and numerous scans. In many ways the early stages are the worst part, not knowing if the cancer has spread, what is the prognosis, etc. Once a full diagnosis is known and a treatment plan is established it’s possible to make sense of the whole thing and in a way, come to terms with it. MrsO’s treatment was excellent (five weeks of daily chemo in tablet form with very mild reaction, and radiotherapy followed by surgery) and Christie Hospital was a beacon of positivity. Fortunately, her diagnosis was just early enough (stage 3) for her treatment to be classed as a curative process by her oncologist.
She now has an irreversible stoma, which when first informed seemed devastating, but in reality is an extremely minor inconvenience and at times a positive, and says herself that that it does not detract from her quality of life. She has just been through the first round of annual checks (bloods, scan, colonoscopy) and so far, so good.
Coincidentally, our next door neighbour was diagnosed, also with bowel cancer, in the same week. Hers was similar to your husband, she had a tumour, but only required surgery (no chemo) and now has an ileostomy. Having somebody else to talk to who is going through the same issues was quite helpful.
I wish you both well, as you get to know the road ahead and what you are dealing with, in our experience, it becomes manageable emotionally. All the best.

Edited at 09:45 AM.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 21, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
sharonb
Imagineer

I had bowel cancer 11 years ago aged 40. It took me 6 months from the first time going to my GP to being diagnosed. I finally lied to my doctor about my symptoms to get a referral as I knew there was something seriously wrong and they kept telling me I had a cyst on my ovaries. Fast forward 6 weeks to my colonoscopy where the doctor doing it asked what my symptoms were and when I told him he just patted my hand and told me don’t worry I will sort you out (my GP had referred me as non urgent).

My tumour was so big they couldn’t get passed it, they told me after I had come round that I had cancer to be honest it wasn’t that much of a shock as I thought I had cancer.

My cancer was diagnosed at late stage 3, I was lucky it hadn’t spread anywhere else except to my lymph nodes. I had surgery to remove the tumour which they removed a large portion of my bowel, but because the tumour had ruptured through the bowel wall and had stuck to the outside of my bladder they had to remove half of my bladder too. I had a fantastic surgeon who managed to re-attach the two ends of bowel so I didn’t have to have a stoma, bless him he did say if I hadn’t had to have half my bladder taken away and end up with a catheter for a few months he would have done a stoma.

After the operation I had to have 6 months of chemo which was worse than the operation but I’m now 11 years cancer free so everything was worth it. If you ever need any questions answered just PM me I’m always on here, I went in with no idea of what was going to happen or whether I would live, but I came out the other side a nicer and stronger person.

Sending you all my love and support as it won’t be easy but keep strong and know that everyone on here is here to support. There are a lot of us on here that have been through cancer and lived to tell the tale.

Sharon
May 2004 villa in Kissimmee
April 2005 villa in Kissimmee
May 2006 HRH, Hilton Grand Vacation I Drive, Villa on Rolling Hills
Christmas 2006, Fairfield Inn, LBV
Christmas 2007, Springhill Suites LBV, Hard Rock Hotel, POFQ
July/Aug 2008 5 weeks CSR, HGVC Seaworld, HRH

Future Trips: Orlando Aug 09
Orlando Christmas 09 with Mum and Dad
sharonb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List