Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 17 Oct 21, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
amf
Apprentice Imagineer

Switching off transponder

So after BA cancelled our flight to MCO on 14 November, we are now flying into Miami on 13 November, picking up our car on 14 November.

It looks like we will be renting from Budget I've looked at their e-toll rules/prices. Last time we hired from Avis I was advised to switch off the transponder (by Mick I think) and I was eventually charged by Avis for the tolls, based on number plate recognition. It looks like I will be switching off the Budget transponder.

I've been trying to think why I need to switch off the transponder, letting tolls be charged by PlatePass I think. Just for my own curiosity, why is it best to pay via PlatePass, rather than the e-toll transponder?
amf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
JP81
Imagineer

JP81's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
It's not a lot of difference now.
That $6 a day charge is capped at under $30 for the full rental.
I'm assuming it will really only be MIA to Orlando and back?

The only other cost is the price of the Tolls.
No other fees.
No one would sign up for their Premium Toll Pass, unless they were doing a lot of touring.
May 2023 Rosen Int'l

Edited at 08:02 PM.
JP81 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by amf View Post
So after BA cancelled our flight to MCO on 14 November, we are now flying into Miami on 13 November, picking up our car on 14 November.

It looks like we will be renting from Budget I've looked at their e-toll rules/prices. Last time we hired from Avis I was advised to switch off the transponder (by Mick I think) and I was eventually charged by Avis for the tolls, based on number plate recognition. It looks like I will be switching off the Budget transponder.

I've been trying to think why I need to switch off the transponder, letting tolls be charged by PlatePass I think. Just for my own curiosity, why is it best to pay via PlatePass, rather than the e-toll transponder?
I may have posted about the Avis/Budget transponder in the past but apologies but at 75 I can't remember what I had for breakfast.

Never used Budget but my limited experience of the Avis transponder is that it doesn't matter if it's switched on or off as driving through a plaza will set the camera off anyway and automatically enable Sunpass. I don't believe that the inbuilt transponders are pre-loaded with $$$ anyway - or at least they weren't when I last used Avis.

Similar thread here today

https://DIBB.in/15177442

Pity you can't use the VTP from MIA

Mick

Edited at 08:18 PM.
mick is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 21, 08:11 AM  
Link to this Post
amf
Apprentice Imagineer

I will use tolls in the Orlando area too - primarily Osceola Parkway for a few trips to The Loop. I'm aware of the $29.75 cap which will apply to me. It looks like I needn't turn off the transponder after all, as the result will be the same.
amf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 21, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post
DFCH-Andy
DIBB Advertiser
- DIBB Advertiser -

Above is correct.. Doesn't matter if its switched on or off.

www.discountfloridacarhire.co.uk
DFCH-Andy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 21, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
I will use tolls in the Orlando area too - primarily Osceola Parkway for a few trips to The Loop. I'm aware of the $29.75 cap which will apply to me. It looks like I needn't turn off the transponder after all, as the result will be the same.
We may also pass through that toll as well next month. Don't need B&BW there anymore as a new one at Posner. We do go to Kohls, Michaels, Yankee Candle a bit and sometimes Bed, Bath & Beyond for a mooch.

The Osceola is our preferred east/west route anyway rather than the 192.

We will be fully VTP'd though.

Mick
Old 18 Oct 21, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
amf
Apprentice Imagineer

Yes, my wife loves B&BW as well as J C Penney there (and at Posner, Altamonte and anywhere else she can find a J C). Five Guys opposite The Loop was where we had our first ever FG and we are still regular visitors.

Agree Oceola is a great west east route, remembering to get off before the tolls bite east of the I4, unless you are going to The Loop. Fortunately this trip we are staying in Indian Wells, so only a hop, skip and a jump from The Loop.
Old 18 Oct 21, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Yes, my wife loves B&BW as well as J C Penney there (and at Posner, Altamonte and anywhere else she can find a J C). Five Guys opposite The Loop was where we had our first ever FG and we are still regular visitors.

Agree Oceola is a great west east route, remembering to get off before the tolls bite east of the I4, unless you are going to The Loop. Fortunately this trip we are staying in Indian Wells, so only a hop, skip and a jump from The Loop.
I buy most of my polo shirts from the likes of JCP, Kohls, Macy's et al as I find I get much better deals than in any of the outlets. I particularly like Izod.

Needless to say I've had no new clothes for 2 years.

I'll give you a wave as we pass Falcon's Fire golf course heading for here on our way to the Loop.

Mick
Old 18 Oct 21, 05:28 PM  
Link to this Post
amf
Apprentice Imagineer

Oh what happy memories that sign brings back. That is the bit of Osceola where, if you weren't familiar with the surface of the road, you would swear that there was something wrong with your tyres. I thought I had a puncture the first time I drove on that stretch! My faveourite bit of Osceola is crossing the I4 west to east and seeing the Gaylord Palms - great view of the resort.

Currently sitting here in one of my Izod tops - most bought from Ross, who I've always found the cheapest, if not the most visually appealing.
Old 18 Oct 21, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Oh what happy memories that sign brings back. That is the bit of Osceola where, if you weren't familiar with the surface of the road, you would swear that there was something wrong with your tyres. I thought I had a puncture the first time I drove on that stretch! My faveourite bit of Osceola is crossing the I4 west to east and seeing the Gaylord Palms - great view of the resort.

Currently sitting here in one of my Izod tops - most bought from Ross, who I've always found the cheapest, if not the most visually appealing.
Don't know much about Ross but must definitely add a visit now. Either the one at Rolling Oaks after a Target or Longhorn trip or the one at Posner after B&BW. Thanks for the tip.