Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 10 Oct 14, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
svt153
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile Miami - should we shuttle?

We have flights into Miami next August which arrive late afternoon. We do intend to stay in Miami overnight and drive up to orlando when we wake up early the next morning. The plan was to collect car at the airport, drive to airport hotel, eat out, sleep and wake early. Then I wanted to take advantage of being up early (normally around 5am) to miss the traffic and drive to south beach (just to say I've been there and take a photo!), before heading up to orlando.

We haven't booked hotel or car hire yet but some have mentioned hotels with airport shuttles and then going back to MIA to pick up car the next morning.

What would you do? Would we actually save any on the car hire? What have people done before? I know lots say Miami isn't worth visiting but I don't feel I can go there without seeing it for myself. I just want to drive through to say I've been!
Old 10 Oct 14, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

Some hotels do have airport shuttles or you could catch a cab. Vehicles are usually rented out by 24 hours. If you go over the 24 hours some companies may allow you an hour grace period but others will just charge you for the 24 hours. You may as well pick up the car before you go to the hotel. You can get up at 5am and take some photos on the beach. You could then be in Orlando well before lunch time.
Old 10 Oct 14, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
johnny1352
Imagineer

johnny1352's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We are doing the same next year and are planning on getting a cab from the airport to hotel then pickup car in Miami from Collins avenue near to where we are staying. Go around miami a bit then drive up to orlando as we can't get into the villa until 4 pm. Also some of the hotels charge around $40 to park and it is away from the hotel. So we feel this may be the best option. Still juggling things around tho so nothing set I. Stone yet.
Old 10 Oct 14, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
svt153
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by 7SeasSailor View Post
Some hotels do have airport shuttles or you could catch a cab. Vehicles are usually rented out by 24 hours. If you go over the 24 hours some companies may allow you an hour grace period but others will just charge you for the 24 hours. You may as well pick up the car before you go to the hotel. You can get up at 5am and take some photos on the beach. You could then be in Orlando well before lunch time.
Yes. These were my initial thoughts. Think I'll stick with this plan. Now to find a hotel with reasonably priced parking and food nearby!
Old 10 Oct 14, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post

We did this a few years ago, we collected our hire car upon arrival, drove to our hotel on Miami Beach (Thunderbird, Sunny Isles) for an evening walk on the beach and some sleep and then checked out at 5.00am. The hotel is ideally placed to jump straight on the road up to Orlando, we were having coffee in Downtown Disney by 9.00am

Diane x
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 14, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
mistymoo
Gone all Goofy

Our plan is to use the shuttle to the hotel when we arrive get up early the next morning use shuttle again and collect car and hopefully be on our way by 8.30 as we want to get to Orlando by lunchtime. Doing the same on the way back so saving 2 days in car hire - helps towards the cost of the hotel.
mistymoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 14, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by svt153 View Post
We have flights into Miami next August which arrive late afternoon. We do intend to stay in Miami overnight and drive up to orlando when we wake up early the next morning. The plan was to collect car at the airport, drive to airport hotel, eat out, sleep and wake early. Then I wanted to take advantage of being up early (normally around 5am) to miss the traffic and drive to south beach (just to say I've been there and take a photo!), before heading up to orlando.

We haven't booked hotel or car hire yet but some have mentioned hotels with airport shuttles and then going back to MIA to pick up car the next morning.

What would you do? Would we actually save any on the car hire? What have people done before? I know lots say Miami isn't worth visiting but I don't feel I can go there without seeing it for myself. I just want to drive through to say I've been!
We have done this numerous times. We stay overnight in the Airport Sofitel.
As we normally wake at about 5am on the first morning after we arrive, we aim to collect the car at 6am. Head up US27 and stop somewhere for breakfast. Takes about four hours so arrive mid-morning.

If you actually want to see a bit of Miami - I suggest you do a bus tour - don't drive around yourself as it's a nightmare.
tspill is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 14, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by svt153 View Post
Yes. These were my initial thoughts. Think I'll stick with this plan. Now to find a hotel with reasonably priced parking and food nearby!
If you're going to South Beach you're going to find it very difficult to find cheap parking. Food shouldn't be a problem.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 14, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread