Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 21 Apr 18, 07:24 AM  
Link to this Post
nquart
Very Serious Dibber

nquart's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Fly Drive Legal Help Please

Hi all,

It might be a long one, please bear with me

We have booked a fly drive with a holiday company for this August, and we have been chasing for the Virgin reference number so we can book our seats. We have paid in full (on credit card) and have a confirmation stating Virgin flights, times, dates etc.

It has transpired that we are booked on the outbound flight but they can't get us on the inbound flight within the price we've paid. As a result, they have presented us with 3 options for our return leg all of which are unsuitable for various reasons.

They are calling us again today or tomorrow with more options but we are getting fed up now.

Legally, where do we stand? Do we just keep reiterating that we want the flights they offered and we paid for in good faith?

If we booked flights and car hire separately today it would be about £600 more than we paid so if we do end up getting a refund I would want them to pay the difference so we aren't out of pocket but it doesn't look like they want to cover any additional costs because if they did surely they would book us on the flight originally agreed and suck up the cost.

Can anyone advise us what we should do? Thanks
nquart is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 18, 07:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

After you paid in full did the email confirm you were on the flights you wanted or not ?
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 18, 07:31 AM  
Link to this Post
nquart
Very Serious Dibber

nquart's Reviews
We got the email confirmation with the flight info on when we paid the deposit so yes.
nquart is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 18, 07:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Jaybeez
Imagineer

Jaybeez's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We had this problem with Charter Travel around 8 years ago, but they told us around 330 days before travel when the flights were released. They had warned us that the flights may change in price a little, but this was a huge amount. In the end, after a lot of phone calls, they agreed to pay half the difference. Not ideal, but the best we could get at the time.

Good luck.
Jaybeez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 18, 07:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

In that case I think they need to take the hit in th additional costs to get you in that flight. I would make one call and ask them to sort this out and if they can’t that you will be taking legal advice. Do you have legal cover with your car/home or travel insurance ? It horrid when something like this happens and puts unhappiness on something that should only cause happiness .

The other option is of course to go into a store on a busy Saturday be firm and then get shouty, as much as people say this doesn’t work it does Virgin don’t want shouty people in their shops it puts others off doing it on the phone has no benefit
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 18, 07:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jaybeez View Post
We had this problem with Charter Travel around 8 years ago, but they told us around 330 days before travel when the flights were released. They had warned us that the flights may change in price a little, but this was a huge amount. In the end, after a lot of phone calls, they agreed to pay half the difference. Not ideal, but the best we could get at the time.

Good luck.
This would have been covered in their t’s and c’s because you booked before the flights were released. Looks like the OP is going in 4 months I suspect that the TA did not complete the booking properly and when they went to do it the cheaper seats had gone .
Old 21 Apr 18, 07:43 AM  
Link to this Post
nquart
Very Serious Dibber

nquart's Reviews
I don't think we do have legal cover on our home or car insurance unfortunately but I will check our travel insurance.

Unfortunately they are an online company so not shops to go and shout in (which I would happily do!) but I think when they next call unless it is a stonking offer I'll just keep reiterating we want what we paid for.

It is their fault they sold it too cheap so I agree that they should suck it up!
Old 21 Apr 18, 07:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Jaybeez
Imagineer

Jaybeez's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Sew109 View Post
This would have been covered in their t’s and c’s because you booked before the flights were released. Looks like the OP is going in 4 months I suspect that the TA did not complete the booking properly and when they went to do it the cheaper seats had gone .
Yes I saw that, but the OP hasn’t stated when they actually booked. Hopefully they can get this sorted out, as holidays shouldn’t be this stressful. I always book DIY now.
Jaybeez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 18, 07:51 AM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Which third party have you booked with? Some are kings of the 'bait and switch' for cheap fares. Some are more reputable.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 18, 07:53 AM  
Link to this Post
nquart
Very Serious Dibber

nquart's Reviews
We booked on 6th September, so just before 11 months out (we fly on 17th August).

I've looked at their T&Cs online and it states this:

Pricing Errors

So actually it looks like we might have to accept their alternative return journey or get a refund

Edited at 05:50 PM.