Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 1 Oct 14, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

Can anyone explain about seat height

I can understand that sitting higher gives good visibility but can anyone explain why in many US cars (saloons and SUVs), the passengers seat sits lower than drivers
This year we had a Nissan Altima and I could barely see out the window, same last year with a Ford Edge (SUV). Not possible to adjust the height (we checked) though the drivers was electrically operated.. Not too easy getting in and out either so close to the ground. UK cars are not like this.
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 14, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
grinner82
Imagineer

grinner82's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 19
Guidebook Photos: 83
Guidebook Reviews: 10
Could it not be that the drivers seat is height adjustable so gives the impression? I cant imagine that US cars have this " special" feature and I have never noticed it or ever had a problem getting out.
Old 2 Oct 14, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

No,the floor level on drivers side was higher in both these cars. Really puzzled DH & me can't understand what the reason could be.
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 14, 01:54 AM  
Link to this Post

We have a Hyundai SantaFe at the moment and I feel like I'm sitting in a hole! It's very uncomfortable for the front seat passenger - no lumber support either
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 14, 01:16 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bonnies mum View Post
I can understand that sitting higher gives good visibility but can anyone explain why in many US cars (saloons and SUVs), the passengers seat sits lower than drivers
This year we had a Nissan Altima and I could barely see out the window, same last year with a Ford Edge (SUV). Not possible to adjust the height (we checked) though the drivers was electrically operated.. Not too easy getting in and out either so close to the ground. UK cars are not like this.
I am a bit confused about your post. I don't know how tall you are but DW and I have just had a Ford Edge SUV for the last 3 weeks and we both agree that driver and passenger seats are not low down or near the ground. At a rough estimate I would say that ours were about 2.5 feet off the ground, there can't be much on the road that is higher than this.
Old 5 Oct 14, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

Well I am only 5'2 (and it was last year we had the Ford Edge), but why is the passenger seat lower than the drivers? It was due to my seat being so low I had probs with seeing out.
Old 5 Oct 14, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

I've never noticed this with our hire cars but Google turned up something interesting.
en.m.wikipedia/wiki/Co-driver

In rally cars the passenger seat is lower for weight distribution.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 14, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

Not sure if thst means I need to loose weight or DH does
Old 8 Oct 14, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Rowlf
Imagineer

The problem is that the rental cars can vary greatly in their specs.

For the same money you could possibly get a basic bottom-of-the-range version car with no height adjustment for either front seats, or if you were lucky a top-of-the-range with electric height, seat position and lumbar adjustments (+ heating!) for both seats. I suspect the middle the range cars just have the driver side height adjustment and people tend to pump them up leaving the passenger sitting down on the floor

The Ford Escape SUV we were given last month by Avis was 'Titanium X' spec, which had so many gadgets that I was checking the manual for the first week. I now know how to start the engine and set the climate control from the villa front door, open the tailgate by kicking my leg beneath the back bumper, and sync the info system to my phone so it can read out my texts to me as I drive
Old 8 Oct 14, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread