Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 10 Oct 14, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by gavdon View Post
As already said use a Sat Nav & try to familiarise yourself with where you're staying/where you want to go - Google Maps/Streetview. I can't comment on the London comparison, but I live in a small village outside a small town & it never really bothered me. Yes, it was busy at times, but it's a big city.
You'll be fine once your there.
Yes - using street view before you go is a great idea. We planned all our routes this way before we were there for a few days a couple of years ago. We are not fans of Miami at all but you can get a view of the main junctions you need etc.
This also shows you where all the tolls are.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 14, 06:26 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rach86 View Post
We are driving to miami for two nights then back to Orlando.I'm very nervous as heard driving through miami is worst then london. Is there a time that's best to go? So if I get us up really really early will it be less busy? Or any advice on quietest times x
Be aware that all of the tolls are electronic in Miami.
Old 10 Oct 14, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
svt153
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
Just make sure you have a sat nav and condition your self that you will make lots of wrong turns. You are right - I have found London a walk in the park compared to Miami. Just take it easy and don't stress when you get lost.
There are also google maps overlays that show you the areas to stay well away from.
maps.google/maps/ms?ie=U...15921&t=h&z=11
"areas to stay well away from" ... is this because they are dangerous?
Old 10 Oct 14, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
florida girl
Imagineer

florida girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
We are driving down to Miami from Orlando on our road trip,will make sure OH is doing the driving then.
florida girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 14, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
DebsMK
Very Serious Dibber

A couple of years ago we arrived in Miami and my OH realised he had forgotten his driving licence. I had mine but had never driven in the US. We picked up the SUV (which I'd also never driven) and headed off into the Miami rush hour. I drove to Fort Lauderdale without any problems! Didn't get lost, didn't have an accident and didn't have anything go wrong. So if I can drive in Miami rush hour when I've never even driven in the US anyone can . I have driven in London many times, in fact I learned to drive there and I would say Miami was much easier.

Back soon!
DebsMK is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 14, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

Mobile

I've driven through miami 3 times in the last 4 years and thought their drivers put london drivers to shame when it comes to courtesy. Mind you the last time was leaving a miami airport hotel on July 4th this year and it was fantastic with few cars about.
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 14, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I've been driven out of Rome in a taxi at 140mph and thought it would be my last journey. I've also driven into Miami in PM rush hour. I'd rather take my chances in Rome thanks.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 14, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Rach86
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks guys xx
Old 11 Oct 14, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by svt153 View Post
"areas to stay well away from" ... is this because they are dangerous?
Yes. Miami has some very bad neighbourhoods. This map grades them.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 14, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
WDocW
Very Serious Dibber

When we flew to Miami it was before the new Rental Car Center was open, the previous location for Dollar/Alamo etc was on the wrong side of the tracks (literally as you had to go over a level crossing!). The sat nav was definitely needed there, it certainly didn't give us a good impression of the place at all.

I imagine it's much better now.
WDocW is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread