Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 5 Sep 16, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Ycryan
Imagineer

Ycryan's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 34
Strange Damage to Conservatory

Hi

We just go back from holiday early yesterday morning to find one of the glass roof panels in our conservatory had shattered, there was pieces of glass everywhere. The strange thing is only the internal section of the panel shattered, the external panel is still in tact ( I guess that's a relief as its still secure and watertight, at the moment).

My 10 year guarantee expired earlier this year (typical! ).

I haven't contacted my home insurance company yet, wanted to check with the double glazing company how much it would be to repair in case it was cheaper than my excess - no chance, went to see them today and they think at least £500 to repair.

Has anyone had any experience of this and do you think I will have any issues making a claim? I have never made a claim on my home insurance before.

I have left all the glass as is in case someone needs to come out and inspect the damage. Do they always do this? Not sure if any of my furniture has been damaged by the glass either and as there's still glass shards hanging from the ceiling I haven't taken too close a look.

Fortunately we were on holiday as my dog sleeps on the sofa in the Conservatory and it would have come crashing down on her. I'm totally puzzled about how it could have happened in the first place.
Old 5 Sep 16, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Never seen that happen before, loads of issues with the seals going and filling with condensation but not just the one pane shattering.
No parties whilst you were away?

Personally I would take photos and clear it up. The Insurers won't expect you to keep it in a dangerous condition.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 16, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
RickT
Imagineer

The key question here is the cause of the damage for insurance.

You cant insure something for breaking due to wear and tear on a default type policy, there "normally" has to be an event which causes damage / the loss.

If you had accidental damage for buildings insurance and for example hit the glass with a broom chasing a fly, that may be an insurable event subject to the insurance policy coverage of course. But just finding it broke on the inside suggests no 3rd party involved in an empty house, therefore it would suggest product failure.

As the 10yr warranty has expired, it would suggest the product was fit for purpose for that time period and what the manufacture classed as a maximum risk period for their product.

Take a read of this.
forums.moneysavingexpert/... php?t=1381625

Best of luck with it.
Las Vegas 18 - Florida 18 -Holland 18 -Bratislava 18 -Florida 17 -Holland 17 -Rhodes 17 - Kos 17 - France 16-Belgium 16-Holland 16-Germany 16-Sopot Poland 15-Kos 15-DLP SQL 15-Hampton Lakes 14-Hamburg 14- Berlin 13-WestRidge Villas 12-Krakow 12-France 11-Turkey 11-Germany 10-Marbella 10-Jamaica 09-Dublin 09-Dublin 08-Paris 08-Zante Villa 08-Egypt 2008-Rhodes 2008-Sweden 08-Norway 08-Rhodes 07- Huatulco Mexico 07-DLP Magic Circus 2007-Dublin 2007-Sweden 07-Greece 06/05/04-Barcelona 04-Rhodes 02

Edited at 11:04 PM.
RickT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 16, 11:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Cocobean121
Imagineer

Had something similar this summer, one of our inside panes has a massive crack in it! It's up high near the conservatory roof and it's not somewhere where you could knock it. The outside pane of the double glazed unit is fine.

We pondered on it for quite some time and never really came up with an explanation. We thought that it may have been a fault in the glass and with the extreme heat we get in there in a hot day it just went pop!

Sorry I can't help, unless it was the heat if it gets really hot?

Easter 2011 Legacy Park Villa fl. Aug/Sept 2013 Thousand Oaks Villa fl. April 2015 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa fl. May 2017 the sanctuary, West Haven villa Fl.
October 2019 Pier 60 & Highlands Reserve villa fl
May 2020 endless summer and Aventura
Cocobean121 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 16, 07:36 AM  
Link to this Post
bearandbuzz
Apprentice Imagineer

bearandbuzz's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
About 7 years ago we had a problem with our flat roof, which leaked through and our internal ceilings in two bedrooms came down. We had two insurance claims - one for buildings damage and the other for contents.
We were uncertain about the buildings one as it was a flat roof (always dodgy ground as many insurance companies have issues with these), also we didn't know when the roof was last maintained as we had moved in a couple of years previously. Fortunately our insurance company were very understanding and they went onthe advice of a local independent builder, who said it wasn't a maintanece issue, he said it was due to a hot summer then heavy rain, which affected the roof covering.
Obviously we faced increased premiums for the next 5(?) years, but we would never have been able to afford to fix all the mess otherwise.
I suggest you speak to your insurance company first and get the ball rolling and factor in the fact that if you claim you will then have an increased premium for a few years.
Hope it works out for the best for you.

Our magic moment as Grand Marshall's in 2013
WL August 2014 The solo(ish) trip - August 2014
BC August 2016 If it ain't broke, don't fix it - August 2016
Villa 2018 - A change of scene - August 2018
bearandbuzz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 16, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Pjamas
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Our solid glass coffee table just exploded one day, it weighed about 50kg! It was just one large curve of thick glass.

We were in the room with it and a sound like a gun shot went off, we leapt around in confusion then saw the table had shattered and broken into 3 pieces. It has sprayed glass all over the room.

Sometimes glass just explodes, there a lot of unexplained incidents like this. It's more common than you think.
Pjamas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 16, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
mouli1
Imagineer

mouli1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
could it have been hit from outside , maybe a football or the like ?
if the glass was under stress inside then a thump could maybe make it shatter

[R]
mouli1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 16, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

No expert, but could an outside blow cause air pressure in the seal, causing a weak pane of internal glass to shatter ?

Disney 332
Old 6 Sep 16, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Pjamas View Post
Our solid glass coffee table just exploded one day, it weighed about 50kg! It was just one large curve of thick glass.

We were in the room with it and a sound like a gun shot went off, we leapt around in confusion then saw the table had shattered and broken into 3 pieces. It has sprayed glass all over the room.

Sometimes glass just explodes, there a lot of unexplained incidents like this. It's more common than you think.
Yep I had a glass saucepan lid explode once, it was just on the draining board and I was in the living room, it was so loud I thought the gas boiler had exploded!
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 16, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
stitcher3000
Imagineer

stitcher3000's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile

It has been very hot recently perhaps that has contributed to it.
stitcher3000 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread