Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Mar 20, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by justacey View Post
Don’t bother trying to grow carrots from carrot tops. My colleague planted some before leaving last summer. I lovingly tended them over the last 6 months. I was concerned about leaving them so pulled them last week.
Wish I’d not bothered 🤣🤣

Pretty tho to be fair. 😂
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 20, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

i looked at carrots yesterday as i have a bag that have sprouted, but all you get are the greens. aint nobody want carrot greens!

so instead i went and planted a bunch of seeds for peas, carrots and cauliflower. i'm off work weds/thurs/fri so gonna plant some other stuff then

(normally i just do chilli plants and a few fruits they mostly get eaten by the birds before i can pick them!)
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 20, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Alices Aunt
Imagineer

Mobile

I ordered some compost and seeds off amazon at the weekend and the compost is due to arrive today. I’ve got tomatoes, cucumber and herbs coming over the next few days. I couldn’t get grow bags so am hoping lidl has some when I do a bit of food shopping as otherwise I’ll be adding to pots that I have. I’m after courgettes and strawberries as I couldn’t get off amazon. I’d love a blueberry bush as well.

I’ve managed parsnips, aubergine and peppers all outside but I’m in east anglia bother parts of the country may not be as lucky.

I’m just wishing I bought the cold frame I saw the day before I went into isolation.
Alices Aunt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 20, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Everybody will be doing this so this will be the next panic buy

We were in the Range last weekend and people were buying up seeds etc

Our local garden centre changed hands recently and they were selling off massive bags of compost for half price so we bought a few plus another mini greenhouse and seedling trays

I have been following some Australian news sites and they have been doing the same

Bunnings ( Aussie version of B&Q) have been selling out of all their veg seeds etc and people have been panic buying

So Dibb family get growing !
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 20, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

i panic-bought all my seeds from wilkos at the end of last summer. most of them were down to 10p a pack
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 20, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Originally Posted by butterflymags View Post
Do you have a link please?
This is the company I ordered from:
dobies/?gclid=EAIa... AEgJqivD_BwE

There are some others:
mr-fothergills/?cc... XnoeSiWnzY U

thompson-morgan/

Edited at 03:52 PM.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 20, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Potatoes are easy enough you can plant up any sprouting in your cupboard! Make sure you keep covering up the tops and they will grow through and not have green bits on the potato crop.
Im starting off runner and french beans, radish and beetroot. Plus some salad leaves. Wait until all frost has gone before planting out. But you can start seeds off inside, or in a greenhouse. (Down South anyway)
Old 24 Mar 20, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Ali C
Excited about Disney

Ali C's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

I ordered some seeds and plants last week from dtbrownseeds and managed to get some grow bags and compost from Homebase at the weekend.
Old 24 Mar 20, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Mobile

Potatoes, early, main and late crops. Various varieties, salad, roasting and chips.
Easy to grow and not damaged by frost.
Most vegetables available as young plants but don't plant out until the frost has gone.
Old 24 Mar 20, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
butterflymags
Excited about Disney

Thanks everyone, this will keep me busy this evening.