Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 30 Apr 20, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
DUNXandWILL
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by RM2016 View Post
Hi, I have a P4 and a P6 and teach part time. Please don’t blame yourself and relax. Go back to basics to try and work out what she knows and then focus on the positives that she does know, ie adding and subtraction to 10 then say 20. Use a number line or physically count items so that or is visual rather than all mental. Gain confidence before moving on to say the 2 and 5 times table, again you can make or download a number line or write out a times table chart or just practice counting in 2s, 5s and tens to begin with. You say 5, she says 10 and so on. Once the easier ones are nailed move on to the trickier tables.
Keep it lights hearted and don’t compare to her brother.
Only so these activities for short bursts so that concentration and confidence remain high. If you work on the basics over time you will notice a big difference and then you can move on gradually to more difficult tasks.
Hi RM2016,

I've had a pretty rubbish day tbh and i've had some tears over feeling overwhelmed that i've let her down... i'm her mum, i should have noticed her struggling!

You're so right, back to basics it is :-) back where the foundations are built! We've never compared her to DS, but she has noticed herself that he finds maths very simple and it seems to put her in the mindset of not even bothering to try... so we're going to put them in different areas to learn (we initially had hoped they might have found it more fun to learn together but we now see it's having a negative effect on DD).

Oooh I like the idea of us doing the tables together alternating the numbers ... I might have to brush up on my skills

Thanks again Dunx x

DUNXandWILL is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 20, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
DUNXandWILL
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tiggers Pal View Post
Here’s a google search for multiplication squares.

google/search?q=ti... 1024&bih=666

Some are printable but I made one for my own son when he was in P5 a number of years ago (he is 19 now). He struggled to get to grips with multiplication of the higher numbers and had a complete meltdown when they were set it as homework to be done under timed conditions. My son went on to achieve an A at Nat 5 and a B at Higher Maths. Please don’t feel you’ve let her down though as you have noticed and are trying to help her.

Also do you have anything she could use as a visual aid instead of her fingers such as lego blocks or pebbles? I’m not a teacher but I help in a primary school class one day a week and they use coloured counting blocks so something like that may help her. Good luck x
Tiggers Pal,

This is a great tool, will be using this! thank you!

You're son's story gives me hope! Well done that boy! I've been upset at various points through the day... just wish i'd noticed earlier!

I'm going to get out my pasta tomorrow and see if that will help instead of the fingers11

Thank you for your time.

Dunx x

DUNXandWILL is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 20, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post

Do you have a Twinkl account? There are so many resources on there and lesson plans too. I don’t think it’s a bad idea to go back to the basics if you want to improve her confidence.

BBC Bitesize has some games which might help her engage more. They’re all listed by English Key Stages, so look for KS2. My pre school daughter has been doing the KS1 maths game so I would expect it to be far too simple. It might be fun for her to see what she *can* do though
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 20, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Love*my*hols
Imagineer

My DGD age 6 has just learnt her tables using Times Fables. Don't know how it works,but it does,!

Edited at 05:07 PM.
Love*my*hols is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 20, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
DUNXandWILL
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Hollie04 View Post
Do you have a Twinkl account? There are so many resources on there and lesson plans too. I don’t think it’s a bad idea to go back to the basics if you want to improve her confidence.

BBC Bitesize has some games which might help her engage more. They’re all listed by English Key Stages, so look for KS2. My pre school daughter has been doing the KS1 maths game so I would expect it to be far too simple. It might be fun for her to see what she *can* do though
Yes we have a Twinkl account but I think I may have printed out a lot of P6 instead of P5 work (I wasn't sure about the English key stages - so thanks for the heads up!)

I'm going to go back to basics tonight and let her get confidence built in that then hopefully through the fantastic resources all the fantastic dibbers have suggested we'll find a way forward.

Thanks dunx x

Old 30 Apr 20, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
nolypops83
VIP Dibber

Baking is full of maths and science!

"If I have 5 friends and I want to make 5 cookies for each of them, how many cookies do I need to make in total?"

bbc/food/articles/...hrough_cooking
Old 30 Apr 20, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DUNXandWILL View Post
Sam7,

You are so right, our DS breezes through everything maths and science based (actually feels like he's been here before! )

Our DD is incredibly artistic, enviably so... she is so creative and her imagination is 2nd to none but math's totally stumps her! I've been pretty emotional today feeling like we've let her down as we never realised till today how bad it is!

I've just signed up for the Carol Vorderman website so we'll see how we get on with her :-)

Thanks Dunx
After reading in this thread about all the resources available to help kids with maths, it’s obvious that many youngsters need extra support with the subject. It’s such an exact subject - the answer is always either right or wrong. Quite a concept for children to grasp in some respects.

Maths has changed so much since I did my O Level in 1971 that I’m tempted to look at the websites mentioned above for my own benefit.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 20, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

aw lovey, don't beat yourself up at all. She's a wee gem with her own strengths which are evident. Dyl is honestly not got his tables either, we are working on it now but he does loads of finger counting etc. We are doing the game where you (maybe just you and big W so she doesnt feel like shes not managing and little W is) count up from one, and each time you get to a station of the table you're working on, you don't say the number, you make a silly sound. Dyl will do anything to make farty noises so he loves it. Paige wasn't great at remembering them either and Percy Parker worked for her, maybe a bit old now but check youtube?
toots82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 20, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
janeg88
Imagineer

janeg88's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

What maths scheme do they use in school?

Tee jay? Scottish Heinaman?

Twinkl maths is quite complicated don’t get hung up if she can’t do most of it.

In primary we focus a lot on mental maths, but when it comes to exams they can always write down a sum.

If she has autism rote learning could be really hard. Teach a technique to remember rather than trying to remember
janeg88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 20, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
DUNXandWILL
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by toots82 View Post
aw lovey, don't beat yourself up at all. She's a wee gem with her own strengths which are evident. Dyl is honestly not got his tables either, we are working on it now but he does loads of finger counting etc. We are doing the game where you (maybe just you and big W so she doesnt feel like shes not managing and little W is) count up from one, and each time you get to a station of the table you're working on, you don't say the number, you make a silly sound. Dyl will do anything to make farty noises so he loves it. Paige wasn't great at remembering them either and Percy Parker worked for her, maybe a bit old now but check youtube?
Hi honey,

thanks for your words of support, means a lot to me

Thanks for the suggestions also, will be trying them out next week, when school starts again totally forgot tomorrow is Saturday... the kids quickly reminded me!

Percy Parker you say - i'll give YouTube a wee visit on Monday and check him out

Thanks again honey

D xx