Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Considering that far more people die of the flu here in the UK every winter than have died from Wutan coronavirus around the world up to now, then I would say prepare as you would prepare for the flu each year. If you usually prepare by getting inhalers, antibacterial gel/wash, gloves, masks, a bit of food and water then carry on as you usually would.

It's not like this is the first time there's been a coronavirus. The common cold, SARS and MERS are all coronaviruses; the SARS pandemic occurred in 2003 and killed 774 people. This happens to be a new version and no one is yet sure how it will behave and how prevalent it will become. Hence the concern by medical professionals and the need to gather more information and contain the outbreak.

There's nothing wrong with being prepared - especially if you're planning on using those items anyway - but there's no need to go overboard with your concern. However, do take notice of Mackenzies03's comment about antibiotics; they won't help against this.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Feebee2
Imagineer

I think you're being sensible with stuff you'll use anyway.
I've been debating stocking up on tinned and packet food.
I made the mistake of starting to watch the Netflix documentary Pandemic. They say they'll be no power as no one to man the power stations.
To go OTT you could add camping stoves and lights.
Feebee2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
daisymae
Imagineer

A bit of both really but I remember my first holiday to Corfu and the island went on strike. We only had jam croissants and some spam like meat for about 2 days. Still had a great time though.
daisymae is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

That’s spooky as I was reading this thread I had a notification on my phone of Netflix Pandemic - how to prevent an outbreak
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
JohnD
VIP Dibber

Better to have it and not need it...

It is hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead.
JohnD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Mobile

True story. Over the weekend a spam email with a small amount of Chinese writing in it got past NHS virus checks. Majority of email was the usual I want to give you money type rubbish.

Anyway we got an email forwarded from a member of trained staff cc’d to the chief executive that they were scared of having received the email as they were aware of the virus in China. Thought it could be passed on by them having read the email.
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
sunshines
Apprentice Imagineer

Most people (97%?) who get this virus will have symptoms like a bad cold with a fever. The flu is worse. What have you done to prepare for the flu?

My teen dd has asthma and a history of pneumonia. She is traveling through two international airports next week. As a precaution I’m giving her hand sanitiser, sanitising wipes for the plane and several N95 masks. I will be sure she understands that she is at greater risk than most if she happens to catch it, so she must take greater precautions. Other than that we are taking no extra precautions (in her daily life she washes her hands - other than that we are doing nothing differently). It's just the airport/plane situation that strikes me as an increased risk.

edited to add that I did not vote, as I don't think you're being daft, but I also wouldn't encourage you to worry

Edited at 02:53 PM. Reason: (didn't vote)
sunshines is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 03:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Chair1519 View Post
True story. Over the weekend a spam email with a small amount of Chinese writing in it got past NHS virus checks. Majority of email was the usual I want to give you money type rubbish.

Anyway we got an email forwarded from a member of trained staff cc’d to the chief executive that they were scared of having received the email as they were aware of the virus in China. Thought it could be passed on by them having read the email.
There’s your argument for euthanasia right there.😂
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
I only opened this thread to say that anyone who uses the word "hubs" is definitely daft.

I shall now read your post and vote as I see fit.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sunshines View Post
Most people (97%?) who get this virus will have symptoms like a bad cold with a fever. The flu is worse. What have you done to prepare for the flu?

My teen dd has asthma and a history of pneumonia. She is traveling through two international airports next week. As a precaution I’m giving her hand sanitiser, sanitising wipes for the plane and several N95 masks. I will be sure she understands that she is at greater risk than most if she happens to catch it, so she must take greater precautions. Other than that we are taking no extra precautions (in her daily life she washes her hands - other than that we are doing nothing differently). It's just the airport/plane situation that strikes me as an increased risk.

edited to add that I did not vote, as I don't think you're being daft, but I also wouldn't encourage you to worry
An N95 face mask will block 95% of the possibility of catching something but I wouldn’t want to try and wear one for an extended period of time. I use them at work for some jobs for up to an hour and even that is tough going. They get hot, damp and uncomfortable inside and due to their very nature make it more difficult to breath freely. Wearing one on an extended journey on an aeroplane wouldn’t be advisable especially for someone with asthma or respiratory issues.In the airport it would also have to be removed at security etc so lessening its effectiveness as well. I do hope she stays safe and enjoys herself. As you correctly say, it’s best to try not worry too much and overthink things.

Edited at 04:36 PM.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List