Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 1 Mar 20, 02:01 AM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
:) Going Out in a Blaze of Glory - Summer of Sorcery 2019 - DAY 10. Rain or sweat in the Summertime!

Welcome back again - you made it...I hoped you would!

Thanks for your continued reading - really appreciate all of your comments, PM's , questions and nudges that I need to do something about having no countdown

Today was our final full onsite day, never one to miss an opportunity we headed to Flight of Passage once more and a wonderful Nemo show. Plus EE as never experienced before

Disney Springs, Polite Pig and more - plus a bus driver who really knew what it feels like to be wet in air conditioning

If you missed anything that went before the whole index and links to all of the previous shenanigans is just a click here away.

If you missed Day 9 it is here too

Welcome to DAY 10

Friday 2nd August 2019

Another later start was needed, we were possibly still paying the price of the very late night on Day 8 and very probably the past ten whole days was catching up with us.

Our final full day staying on site and there was no acknowledgement of that by any of us. We refused to acknowledge it as we simply did not want this amazing stay to end.

So, we boarded the bus to Animal Kingdom at 11 am, fast passes at the ready and with just an intention to see how we went today- the weather forecast was not looking promising.

With a photo outside of the park taken we scuttled inside and headed to Starbucks for a breakfast start to the day - $56 but just a matter of snack debits on the dining plan, it was needed!

Refreshed before the start of a Nemo show with fast pass- as we waited to enter the theatre it was so hot even my knee caps started to sweat!

That was a shock and was rather disconcerting when it first happens as you feel this trickle running down the front of your lower leg, just below the bottom of your shorts!
I did avoid checking myself in case I had experienced something more catastrophic, but the thought was in the very forefront of my mind.

Anyway – A fast pass into Nemo - I hear you ask?

I have been asked this question a few times, as you know it my most favourite place and show (without Fireworks) in WDW.

A fast pass is a bit of a luxury for this place- it is a huge auditorium and you will usually always get a seat, if you queue for 20 mins before the show, you will generally get the same seat selection as the fast pass holders. Leave it until last minute you end up too far away to become absorbed by the show - the front of the theatre is the place to be.

Today – we were in the first 20 of the FP queue with the aim of getting a great seat for some photos.

I do think I have started something , as usually it is only me with the camera who enjoys taking pictures in here, yet today the boys had their phones out trying to find some pics of their own , whilst Alison used her phone for some video too. Each of them contributed to the record of the show and I have to admit with some stunning results.

Best to just let the photographs tell the story.

We got a lovely photo with a member of the cast at the end- many thanks to him.

Now amid the extreme knee sweating heat of the day - that just summed up how pressure cooker hot today was and with the weather forecast that we were continuing to monitor, you knew that at some point the great Floridian weather would break, it has to!

We cut through the shops with an aim to avoid the incoming rain shower, we nearly made it!

Just before we made it to Flight of Passage - by which time we were glad to get inside.

From there, the phone camera kept going and as with the previous Soarin’ picture experience I don’t condone the camera work of my eldest son, but he knew it was his phone and not mine that was at risk!

He managed to get a couple of pics whilst on the ride and not just of Dr. Jackie Ogden,

aware that this would be one of our last rides here until we ever go again, we all were glad of something that resembled a long lasting memory for the trip report rather than a whole ride You Tube video.

As always – words are not enough, this ride continues to just send you to another place and as you exit just keep an eye out for this little bit of ride history – we had not spotted it for a while, so it does depend on the screen and staircase you exit.

As you’re exiting Avatar, Flight of Passage, in the corridor on the lowest level, you may see three handprints in red paint. These are the handprints and initials of James Cameron, the director of the Avatar film, Jon Landau, producer of Avatar, and Joe Rohde, lead Imagineer for Pandora and all of Animal Kingdom. This was their way of leaving their stamp on the land after working so hard on it for all those years.
Always a good spot and always a bit of an acknowledgement as we pass as three of us have similar initials!

Time for a swift soft drink refill in the Satuli Canteen and we then headed to Africa.
Hidden Mickey searching as we went too -

New, this year, was a Lion King scavenger hunt- unlike the Magic Kingdom pirates version , which is free, this one costs $7.99- it was good fun and some of the animals took a bit of finding!

A photo and a beer too meant we lingered long in this part of the park- the music and atmosphere was excellent and the boys also enjoyed an ice cream/ float.

They picked up their reward for completing the treasure hunt in the form of a magnet-but even better value was had with the free plastic bag available free of charge for UK guests😂 ( Yes even the CM’s at Disney were mocking us for having to pay for plastic bags in the UK!)

We became aware of the darkening skies and with Expedition Everest already down earlier, and the sight of a fast pass queue that crossed the bridge towards the Nemo Show meant just one thing- single rider line and quick!

Told you I would get a picture of that flippin Eagle! Even in the rain.

The rain began and by the time we were all seated throughout the same train it was raining heavily- this meant for some great fun, as on the outdoor parts of the ride it felt like hailstones hammering at you as you rode.

We were all as soaked as a Kali Rapids ride at the end, but were all grinning from ear to ear, the Swedish person next to me was wrapped in her poncho but had equally as much fun as it was her first time -Although she remained a little drier!

This was a new one for all of us, in torrential rain Everest took upon a brand new experience and it was sooo good! The hailstones description is the best one I can get to make it feel in that exact moment - the temperature was high yet the rain was solid! BUt the exhilaration was something completely different than ever experienced before on EE

We stopped in the shop, with the rain hammering it down and the ride now closed we found a handy spot in the shop to see the theming of the electrics that you would walk past and then the inevitable thought from Alison that she needed one of these tops before we went home – photos taken too! That shopping silver lining in every Floridian rain cloud

We then decided to make a walk of it to The Tree of Life area. It appeared as if it was only those in ponchos who kept going- except us, hardy British souls that we are!
Whilst also assured that no matter what, the ‘lucky’ poncho in the bag was not going to be used!

A pin trade in the shop, which had actually put the heating on instead of air con and a lovely dog pic too- even the dog had a poncho and wellies on!

We kept going, and reached the bus, wet but still laughing.
The bus was cold and I’m sure the driver sensed that, as we got back rather quick, she was great and turned off the air con too.

Once back at the hotel we darted to the room but then found it necessary to sit on the balcony to keep warm!

From there, the inevitable happened- much to our disappointment! We were forced to pack our bags in readiness of the next part of the holiday.

Once done we were back on a bus and headed to Disney Springs.

We arrived in the rain at 8 and headed to the Polite Pig.

Now as a final evening counter service this was taking the dining plan to the max

4 ribs $92
2 soda $7
1 wine $12
1 Angry orchard draft cider$ 9
Total cost $121 + 7% tax so around $130 for the meal!
The ribs were excellent and this place offered something really different.

We had a stroll in and out of the shops and the rain and soaked up the great atmosphere in Disney Springs as we ll as soaking up the weather too. I can’t recall having had so many long, sustained rain fall in all our years in Florida.

Usually the summer sees a storm then it is hot and less humid. Today it had rain for most of the day and it felt as if it had not stopped since mid afternoon.

One final stop at Ghiradelli’s saw 6 snack credits exchanged for 3 tins of chocolate, which the very kind CM in the shop showed us the most efficient way to pack the tin to the maximum! – Impressive haul of chocolate.

With 2 goofy snacks added to the bag in World of Disney and with the rain still falling we called it a night at 10.30.

A bus was waiting for us and we were quickly back at the hotel. With a big moving day ahead of us we decided that an early night would be the best idea!

DAY 11 is moving day and our farewell to the Yacht Club - we need to be up early though...

Hope you join us and thanks for reading

You can read it by clicking here

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.

Edited at 10:58 PM.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkermom
Apprentice Imagineer

Fabulous day, loads done and good to see that the rain didn’t spoil your fun 😊
Old 1 Mar 20, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Th1nkT1nk
Imagineer

Mobile

What a fantastic day! We love AK so much ... I’m sure it has its own mini climate, lol, we also have some great photos of us dancing in the rain at AK! 😂
EE sounds great fun in the downpour... maybe they should offer it as a new experience
Old 1 Mar 20, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
What a brilliant morning good to see you didn’t let the rain stop you! Polite pig is great for bbq, the ribs and beef short rib are delicious. A perfect way to finish with ghiradelli chocolates. A great day!
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
A great day well done for keeping going through the rain

Joan
Old 1 Mar 20, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
A drenching on Everest. I sort of assumed they would close it in that weather, but obviously I'm wrong! It must have been so funny going up to the top of the mountain in all the rain. The buses sure feel chilly when you're all wet, I chuckled that you all went out on the balcony to warm up. There was no dodging the rain that Friday it really did last all afternoon and evening. At least you made it over to Disney Springs for your dinner and to get the much desired Ghiradelli.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Mobile

Great day even though it rained for most of it
We were on Everest in heavy rain a couple of years ago it was painful and we were soaked
Old 2 Mar 20, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Tinkermom View Post
Fabulous day, loads done and good to see that the rain didn’t spoil your fun 😊
Thanks for reading and posting reply too
Can't let the rain spoil any Disney Day

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 20, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Palm trees
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Another fantastic day. I'm particularly impressed by your photo with the Nemo cast member. We love that show too. We've always sat at the very back as we have a wheelchair but on our last trip we were sat at the very front (I hadn't even realised it was an option with a wheelchair. It was a totally different experience, and felt more immersive. Can't wait to see it again, it's an absolute highlight of the trip for me.
Palm trees is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 20, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Originally Posted by Th1nkT1nk View Post
What a fantastic day! We love AK so much ... I’m sure it has its own mini climate, lol, we also have some great photos of us dancing in the rain at AK! 😂
EE sounds great fun in the downpour... maybe they should offer it as a new experience
I think you are onto something there 🤣
AK is a big favourite of ours too, even when the weather turns. There is so much to see and do in there now.
Thanks for your continued reading and I’ve now got Kali rapid Everest in my mind 🤣