Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Apr 20, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
hellin family
Dibbing with Tink

Does anyone have both a dog and a rabbit/s

Hi all

We have a rabbit (only one as he just lost his long term partner and we are currently on the look out for a suitable new girl bunny to bond him with). But he lives in a shed (lots of space for him to hop around) in the garden with a cat flap and has unlimited access to garden in the daytime.

DD has wanted a dog forEVER. DH has come round to the idea and so has DS. I could be persuaded if I thought it could work. We've researched breeds more likely to get along with rabbits and those to avoid but I understand it is still a risk and that it could mean we had to be really cautious and get in a new routine of 'bunny is in garden so dog stays in' and vice versa. We live very near some lovely dog walks. Just looking to see if anyone has a dog and a rabbit that do get along? That would be amazing but please don't think I'm being naive - I realise it is more likely they will need to stay apart and that means more limited access to the garden for the dog/rabbit in the daytime.

thanks all,

Wendy, Jake and Lillie x

Dec 2005 New York and Florida honeymoon, Grand Reserve
Dec 2006 Anniversary Trip, Grand Reserve, Davenport
Dec 2010 Jake's first trip, Glenbrook
Jan 2011 Lillie's first trip, Windsor Palms
Feb 2013 Jake and Lillie's Grand Adventures, Florida Pines
Oct 2014 Disneys All Stars Music Resort
hellin family is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 20, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
MaryMendes
Excited about Disney

I’m watching this thread as I want a dog but have 2 rabbits. They live inside for half the year so I’m not sure having any dog is feasible.
MaryMendes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 20, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Dont get a Westie they chase everything!
Old 16 Apr 20, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Scoop
Excited about Disney

Mobile

We had two dogs and a rabbit for about a year before the rabbit sadly passed away aged 11.

The rabbit BB had the run of the garden due to not liking her cage being closed. Billy our first dog never interacted with BB at all. Harvey our second dog absolutely loved her. They cuddled and played together.

Harvey is a border lakie who has now killed rabbits in the wild but he never showed any aggression to BB.

Just to add they were never left alone unattended. I also wouldn't get another rabbit now as I think Harvey behaved this way due to BB being there first x
Scoop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 20, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

We had a lurcher and a rabbit the dog was terrified of the rabbit and the rabbit caused a £400 vet bill to the dog as she chased her and the dog fell over getting away lol (the rabbit was in a run, not loose! )
ziggyzag is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 20, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
hellin family
Dibbing with Tink

Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
We had two dogs and a rabbit for about a year before the rabbit sadly passed away aged 11.

The rabbit BB had the run of the garden due to not liking her cage being closed. Billy our first dog never interacted with BB at all. Harvey our second dog absolutely loved her. They cuddled and played together.

Harvey is a border lakie who has now killed rabbits in the wild but he never showed any aggression to BB.

Just to add they were never left alone unattended. I also wouldn't get another rabbit now as I think Harvey behaved this way due to BB being there first x
It would be amazing to see them cuddle together! That would be my ideal...but we'll see.

Wendy, Jake and Lillie x

hellin family is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 20, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
hellin family
Dibbing with Tink

Originally Posted by ziggyzag View Post
We had a lurcher and a rabbit the dog was terrified of the rabbit and the rabbit caused a £400 vet bill to the dog as she chased her and the dog fell over getting away lol (the rabbit was in a run, not loose! )
I looked at lurchers as we had one growing up, and it said 'primarily a hunting dog' - obviously not yours though, the poor thing!

Wendy, Jake and Lillie x

Old 16 Apr 20, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
hellin family
Dibbing with Tink

I think rabbits are the cutest pets - their little faces. I may turn into a mad old rabbit lady when I'm older :-)

Wendy, Jake and Lillie x

Old 16 Apr 20, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Trusty ian
Dibbing with Tink

We got rabbit and dog, both around 10yrs old. Dog is cocker spaniel. We have always kept them apart as we tried introducing them early on but dog wouldn't leave the rabbit alone. They both sit next to each other with rabbit in run and dog sat along side other side of wire mesh.

Edited at 12:13 PM.
Trusty ian is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 20, 03:13 PM  
Link to this Post
4fromsuffolk
Very Serious Dibber

4fromsuffolk's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We have 3 dogs and they all get along with the rabbit. The rabbit was here first. The rabbit ‘plays’ with them from his run. He hops back and forth and they follow him going up to him nose to nose. He is in a hutch with a run. On occasions when he has got out they have chased him though. They seem to live in harmony and like to eat his bottom nuggets! I wouldn’t trust them all out together though! Rabbit is 10 this year.
4fromsuffolk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List