Notices
Shopping in Florida For all those Shopaholics out there.

Closed Thread

Old 28 Apr 07, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
jamiestoddart
slightly serious Dibber

Playstation 3

Really like the look of the Playstation 3, but really expensive, how much can you purchase them for in the US and are they compatible (can you play UK games and DVD's on them).
jamiestoddart is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 07, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post

Bare in mind your customs allowance is only £145 per person!

Here's a link to a thread relating to your question

http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/show...n+c ompatible

Edited at 09:52 PM. Reason: add link!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 07, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
jamiestoddart
slightly serious Dibber

does anybody know the difference between the uk version and the us version? i've read somewhere that the uk version is 'sub-standard' but doesn't explain why?
jamiestoddart is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 07, 12:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Elsie
Imagineer

The version sold in the USA and Japan has dedicated Playstation 2 / 1 hardware meaning that virtually any previous game will play on these machines. Due to the high cost of producing PS3, Sony decided to remove the hardware and use software emulation to play games from the older machines. This has meant that quite a few games won't (and probably never will) run on the PS3. They say that they'll release patches & updates to allow older titles to be released but this remains to be seen. This process of emulation to run older titles is the same as Microsoft uses for the 360.

With regard to buying a PS3 in the states, personally I wouldn't. A system in America will be geared to playing US games and the voltage requirements would be different. Besides, a PS3 would stand out a mile in customs checks and you'd be likely to get stung for VAT and import duty. A camera or laptop is far easier to get through customs "I bought it in the UK and took it on holiday" but they're hardly likely to believe you took a PS3 on holiday!

I'd wait until Christmas as the PS3 is bound to have a price drop by then. With sales of the PS3 being so poor they'll have to do something to shift them. 6 months after launch you still can't buy a Wii from a shop; they have to be pre-ordered and Nintendo / suppliers still can't keep up with demand.

Feb 1997 - Quality Inn Plaza on I-Drive / Sep 2003 - Westridge Villa on US27 / Feb 2005 - Westridge Villa on US27 / Aug 2007 - Indian Creek Villa / Aug 2015 - Indian Creek Villa / Mar 2019 - Red Lion Maingate
Elsie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 07, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post

A PS3 from America can apparently be used over here with just an adaptor or changng the plug as a PS3 is dual voltage. You would have to import most games (i think a few are region free) but they are cheaper over there anyway. Also the Blu-Ray player on it is also region encoded so you would have to buy either region free films or again import them (which is still cheaper than buying them from over here).

The reason that it cant play most PS1/PS2 games is because the European PS3 has the Emotion Engine chip removed to cut down on production costs. Also another thing that may be a problem is the online gaming capabilities. A US PS3 will be made to use the US PS3 gaming network so buying/downloading games online might be a problem due to needing a US credit card. Not exactly sure on this though.

The PS3 is quite a bit cheaper over there though with also the option of buying a 20GB hard drive version which is even cheaper than the standard 60GB version that can be bought here.
Old 29 Apr 07, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post

I'd keep a hold of your money for now. The PS3 is bombing horribly. No one's buying them and people aren't making the games for it. Unless this changes you're going to have a very expensive paper weight!
Old 29 Apr 07, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
susanita
Trying for More Ears

my son imported a us ps3 in december , you just need a uk plug nothing else , all us,uk, jap games work it's totally region free , you will need us blu ray movies though aswell as us dvd's ps1,ps2 games.

It's a lot cheaper and the console is more "finished" everything is cheaper there anyway , try videogamesplus.ca.
Lake Buena Vista Resort Village & Spa- May 2013 - Grand Beach Orlando , Sep 2015 - Mystic Dunes, Apr 2017 Holiday Inn LBV - May 2018 Clarion LBV
susanita is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 07, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread