Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 19 Jan 14, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
cheekydeeky
VIP Dibber

I think it depends on what you want to do/see in Florida. For us (40 and 47), we weren't keen on doing Disney. We spent three days at universal and loved every minute. We did Cirque which we both thought was amazing and we ticked off our must eat restaurants thanks to the Dibber recommendations.

Oh, and is almost forgot the shopping

Although we had a great time we both said we wouldn't be in a hurry to go back to Florida but are finding ourselves doing exactly that a year later .

Had we been there with kids I imagine it would have takes us far longer than a week to tick off our must dos.

Every family/couple will have their own idea of a holiday of a lifetime but for us the mix of Florida and a cruise was perfect. Roll on September so we can do it all again .

I'm sure you'll have a fantastic holiday whatever you decide. I did hear a young boy on our cruise tell his mum that the cruise was his best holiday ever; even better than Disney . Don't think mum was too happy about that...
cheekydeeky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 14, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
I would agree with the PP's suggesting it's not the best idea if it's your first visit to WDW.
But, it all depends on your family make up and what your other plans are, so perhaps if you give us the details, we can give you more advice?

If you're going to Florida because you love Disney/theme parks/coasters/shopping, then I would definitely stick to the parks and don't add anything else to what is already a chocker busy holiday.
If you're only going for a bit of sunshine and an air boat ride, then a cruise would fit in very well I'm sure.

For DCL, we've done a sticky thread at the top of this forum which gives you lots of info. Transfers are $35 per person each way, so not cheap. They pick up from most Disney hotels and some park entrances (Animal Kingdom for one). Driving is easy and takes approx 1 hour via toll roads. Or you could get a private transfer, but this is expensive if there's only 2 of you.

Disney cruises are cheapest when they are first released so you've missed the boat on that one, excuse the pun. Booking it now will mean you are paying more than on release day, but if you're happy with the price, no problems. Most of the regular cruisers book through US travel agents for many reasons (see sticky thread).

Hope that helps
Old 19 Jan 14, 11:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisalimetree
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Bats View Post
I would agree with the PP's suggesting it's not the best idea if it's your first visit to WDW.
But, it all depends on your family make up and what your other plans are, so perhaps if you give us the details, we can give you more advice?

If you're going to Florida because you love Disney/theme parks/coasters/shopping, then I would definitely stick to the parks and don't add anything else to what is already a chocker busy holiday.
If you're only going for a bit of sunshine and an air boat ride, then a cruise would fit in very well I'm sure.

For DCL, we've done a sticky thread at the top of this forum which gives you lots of info. Transfers are $35 per person each way, so not cheap. They pick up from most Disney hotels and some park entrances (Animal Kingdom for one). Driving is easy and takes approx 1 hour via toll roads. Or you could get a private transfer, but this is expensive if there's only 2 of you.

Disney cruises are cheapest when they are first released so you've missed the boat on that one, excuse the pun. Booking it now will mean you are paying more than on release day, but if you're happy with the price, no problems. Most of the regular cruisers book through US travel agents for many reasons (see sticky thread).

Hope that helps
Thanks all for your help

It's just husband and me going I have done disney before 17 years ago so first time really as I can't remember much.

We are doing disney parks, discovery cove, sea world and a bit of shopping.

The transfers are they only available if you are staying at disney as we are staying on international drive?
Lisalimetree is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 14, 12:59 AM  
Link to this Post
cheekydeeky
VIP Dibber

No, transfers for us last year were from international drive . Rosen inn at Pointe. Try Mears, they have an online calculator which will give you an idea of cost.
cheekydeeky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 14, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Originally Posted by Lisalimetree View Post
Thanks all for your help

It's just husband and me going I have done disney before 17 years ago so first time really as I can't remember much.

We are doing disney parks, discovery cove, sea world and a bit of shopping.

The transfers are they only available if you are staying at disney as we are staying on international drive?
DCL transfers are only from on site and parks yes.

I love cruising, but I wouldn't recommend you book a cruise for this holiday. So much has changed since you were last in Orlando and adding in SW, DC plus shopping PLUS a cruise would be suicidal in terms of enjoyment. WDW is already a busy holiday, but add in other parks and you've got yourself a jam packed itinerary.

All DCL cruisers would recommend a 4 night cruise over a 3 and that's just not practical for your time IMHO.
Seriously, enjoy the parks, see if your partner loves it, then book one for next year! The latter 2015 dates will be out next month and rumour has it that they'll be more European cruises on offer.
Old 20 Jan 14, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread