Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 23 Mar 18, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Oh Toodles
Serious Dibber

Mobile A little advice please

Hi there. I’ve never been on a cruise but I’m 50 next year and this is one of my wishes.
My thoughts are perhaps a 7-10 day WDW holiday with a Disney Cruise tagged on at the end.
As this would probably only be for 3/4 days I was wondering if it’s worth it?
Is it an amazing experience or should I consider having a longer cruise elsewhere?
My wife and my son (9) would be coming along but that provides other issues.
My son uses a wheelchair and can have quite complex medical needs as he has a rare autoimmune disease.
Do you think a Disney Cruise is the thing to do here, will he be blown away by it? Is there still plenty for him to do and will he still experience the magic that WDW world offers him.
Finally, although he keeps relatively well... how are Disney Cruises when it comes to folk with medical issues?
Sorry for babbling on and thanks in advance.
Oh Toodles is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 18, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
StorybookCircus
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I would repost this in the Special Needs forum and see if any dibbers who use wheelchairs/have children who use wheelchairs can offer advice
StorybookCircus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 18, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Oh Toodles
Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by StorybookCircus View Post
I would repost this in the Special Needs forum and see if any dibbers who use wheelchairs/have children who use wheelchairs can offer advice
I will do too, just thought that with it being a cruise I might be more likely to get cruise related advice here rather than just WDW advice.
But yeah, you might be right.
Oh Toodles is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 18, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
MissVincent
Imagineer

We have sailed DCL a few times and on our last sailing in October, there were several children in wheelchairs.

To me there didnt seem to be anything that the children were unable to take part in.
MissVincent is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 18, 08:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Cutiepie
Imagineer

We sailed DCL on the Magic years ago & there was a little girl on her 'Make a Wish' holiday. She was in a wheel chair & also had very complex medical needs with her disease she didn't have an immune system (I chatted with her Mum loads) they all had a fantastic holiday and DCL were really helpful

We love DCL cruises and with the character meet
Cutiepie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 18, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
I would definitely try a 4 night over a 3 night if your money and time allows.
DCL is renowned for going above and beyond for those with special needs. From a Make a Wish child to just someone who has food allergies - they will do everything possible to ensure the cruise is amazing.

The only thing that will frustrate you (and this is probably the same on every cruise line), is the waiting time for a lift. As a wheelchair user, your son has no choice but to use the lift. Others who do have the choice, choose the lift over the stairs and probably won't move out of the lift to allow your son in unfortunately.

I would suggest a quiet request to the lift dwellers for them to use the stairs if they can or you may be waiting some time.

For a HA cabin, you'll need to book fairly early as they go quickly. Book direct or with a US TA, not a UK one.

If we can help in any other way, please just shout.

Joa
Old 27 Mar 18, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Oh Toodles
Serious Dibber

Mobile

Thanks folks.
Weve always had loads of help when visiting Disney but I do have slight concerns from a medical perspective as we are ‘at sea’
I’m looking to add something different if we do Disney next year... I’ll need to get my thinking cap on!