Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 11 Jun 18, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
RobertWestwood
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Are the roadworks on I4 still as bad ? If so the OP might be better leaving the airport by the south exit and taking 417, a few more tolls but probably much quicker.

She is much more intelligent than me
RobertWestwood is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 18, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by RobertWestwood View Post
Are the roadworks on I4 still as bad ? If so the OP might be better leaving the airport by the south exit and taking 417, a few more tolls but probably much quicker.
Robert

I think the OP has already decided to use 417.

In the 4 weeks that we were there in April/May we managed to completely avoid I-4 in the attractions area but I don't think that the roadworks have got that far west. We hit I-4 in Downtown low 80's junctions and there were certainly roadworks in that bit.

Mick
Old 11 Jun 18, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Belle1989
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by mick View Post
No tolls between WDW and Clearwater on I-4. Just don't head off to downtown Tampa by mistake as there is a cashless toll road.

I'm usually asked for this photo so I'll pre-empt requests. First toll when you leave 417 south from MCO. Keep right and pay cash - $1.50 I recall.

Another like that then leave 417 on the Osceola Parkway through an unmanned toll - $1. Straight on to WDW road network.

Mick
Thank you! Amazing how much clearer a phone makes it than an explanation!
WDW 'Once in a Lifetime trip' - July 2017 -- OKW DLP - July 2018 -- Hotel Cheyenne WDW POR Royal Guest Room -- May 2019 WDW POFQ -- Christmas & New Year 2022 WDW Contemporay Resort & POFQ -- Christmas & New Year 2023
Belle1989 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 18, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by Belle1989 View Post
Thank you! Amazing how much clearer a phone makes it than an explanation!
If you do choose to leave 417 at Osceola through the unmanned toll just throw four quarters in the basket.

Depending on the plaza you will either get a green light (which disengages the toll plate camera) or a small matrix display which will show you the money counting down i.e. 25 cents, 50 cents, 75 cents, 1 dollar.

Mick
Old 11 Jun 18, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

If you do choose to leave 417 at Osceola through the unmanned toll just throw four quarters in the basket.

Depending on the plaza you will either get a green light (which disengages the toll plate camera) or a small matrix display which will show you the money counting down i.e. 25 cents, 50 cents, 75 cents, 1 dollar.

Mick
Remember to put them in one at a time, as four at once can block the basket as I found out
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 18, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

Robert

I think the OP has already decided to use 417.

In the 4 weeks that we were there in April/May we managed to completely avoid I-4 in the attractions area but I don't think that the roadworks have got that far west. We hit I-4 in Downtown low 80's junctions and there were certainly roadworks in that bit.

Mick
So I'm guessing avoid the I4 if coming from Sanford too
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 18, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by coggie View Post
So I'm guessing avoid the I4 if coming from Sanford too
I don't know how far the roadworks extend to the east but personally I would always choose 417. About 10 years since we landed there but other Dibbers suggest around $8-9 in tolls to the WDW area.

Mick
Old 11 Jun 18, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

I don't know how far the roadworks extend to the east but personally I would always choose 417. About 10 years since we landed there but other Dibbers suggest around $8-9 in tolls to the WDW area.

Mick
Cheers, only ever flown into Sanford once and that was 18 years ago but it does seem the I4 is one to miss...
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 18, 11:34 PM  
Link to this Post

I'm a toll avoider.

Had issues two years running with tolls.

One year - we paid tolls cash but the hire company still charged for them.

The next year - On the way out of a toll road. (South of the airport I think, near home depot.) Exact change only. Robot, no human being. Horrible siren noise at the machine for the car in front as if they hadn't paid. Same for us, despite having put the money in. Lovely fine from the car hire company.

Got both sorted out - in the end. But so much hassle, energy and time to do so - car hire companies make it deliberately difficult to get money back from them than they do for you to pay them money!

I wouldn't usually need tolls other than in/out of airport. (We follow signs for 535 to leave the airport toll free)

So I figure the extra 10 minutes (or however much it is to avoid toll roads in/out of airport) is well worth it from a 'time' saved perspective rather than having all that hassle when I get back. The $4 or whatever it is, is neither here nor there. Probably just been (very) unlucky, but it's definitely soured my experience.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List