Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 15 Jun 18, 11:32 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Thinking of big holiday next year SF LA Hawaii

Looking at visiting LA then crusing to hawaii then back to LA for a drive up to SF then home?

Haven't got a clue how much that would all cost but my wife has mobility problems and can't walk too far so it would have to be tailored around driving. Anyone know how accessible the parks are for wheelchairs are their chair lifts or cars that go up the mountains in the parks?

Worried about the flights and getting stuck on the volanic Hawaii as well

Am I planning too much?

Old 16 Jun 18, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Friends of my parents did something similar last year. It was a package through a travel agents, I don’t know them well enough to ask the price but they’re well known for liking a bargain!

They flew to San Francisco for 3 nights, cruised to Hawaii and around the islands with Princess Cruises, back to San Fran and flew to Las Vegas for 4 nights before coming home.

Mrs B isn’t great on her feet as she has arthritis and is waiting for a knee replacement and she managed fine. Even in SF which is very hilly. SF isn’t great for driving (traffic is awful and parking is expensive) but we used public transport and Dylan’s Tours. Driving is the done thing in LA as everything is so spread out.

The main thing that Mrs B recommend to me when I expressed an interest in cruising was to use the cruise line excursions as an absolute last resort. They used the public bus in Honolulu to visit Waikiki and Pearl Harbour and it was a couple of $$. The organised trip was hundreds!
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 18, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Many thanks Beth.

I wanted to go with RCI on the cruise section but either they don't do a return trip or they stay at the islands but there doesn't seem to be any Hawaii cruises from any port in the West coast.

We have been to SF but want to show our son the Wharf Alcatraz and the bridge etc.

I quite fancy the drive down the coast but it would have to have things thrown in for a 14 year old.

Old 20 Jun 18, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

I hesitated to post on your thread as I'm not sure my experiences will help, but you have some quite specific needs and you've only had one post, so I'll try my best!

Are you particularly wanting the cruise rather than touring the islands yourself?

San Francisco outbound and LA/Anaheim inbound to break the trip up is a good way to go in my opinion (or Vegas / Seattle?)

We visited a few national parks. Some you could have pretty much the same experience whether you had mobility issues, or not. Some, less so. Nobody is going to the main park at Volcano on Big Island right now, that's for sure (there is still access via a back route but not to the main visitors Center, and who knows when that situation will become clearer?!)

For flights I used part rewards part cash, and booked inter island separately. Last time was about £750 each but that included a chunk of miles and UC outbound, PE inbound (interisland flights X 2)

Next time we are paying £785 return EC out and PE back with VA. will be booking interisland separately.
Old 21 Jun 18, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
disney babe
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by jas72 View Post
Many thanks Beth.

I wanted to go with RCI on the cruise section but either they don't do a return trip or they stay at the islands but there doesn't seem to be any Hawaii cruises from any port in the West coast.

We have been to SF but want to show our son the Wharf Alcatraz and the bridge etc.

I quite fancy the drive down the coast but it would have to have things thrown in for a 14 year old.
we went with our 14 year old daughter 2 years ago, we were a bit concerned but she loved dylans tour, alcatraz, LA and even the drive, we thought she would be bored but we stopped at seal beach and few other stopped, stayed over at cambria, she's been to florida 8 times and done a disney cruise & said west coast was her best holiday ever, we did do disney and universal in LA as well and did vegas which she also loved.
I. Drive july 92,DLP 98,99, 02, 04, comfort suites sept 03, southern dunes july 06, westridge july 09, RPR, orange tree, OKW july 12, chatham park, OKW oct 13, RPR, polo park east, AKL, july 14, CBBR, HRH, CBR, disney dream, BCV oct 15, La, Vegas, SF July 16, new york, GFV, CBR, BCV july 17, Miami, Rosen inn, CBBR july 18, LV, Anaheim Oct 18, rosen inn, aventura dec 18, Fl keys, AoA, portofino bay july 19, mirage LV oct 19, rosen inn, pop dec 19, POP, Rosen Inn, POFQ aug 22
disney babe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List