Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 6 Apr 17, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Dunc
Very Serious Dibber

Dunc's Bar Reviews

Greetings, all.

I've decided to do a full review of my thoughts about the bars and lounges visited during the March trip. I've covered some of this in the restaurant section, but more details are needed to protect the unaware and illuminate the initiated.

I'll do them in chronological order. I wrote everything down in real time. I'm going to leave the original notebooks to science in my will.

I was accompanied by my long-suffering girlfriend Teresa, who is almost a teetotaller. I dedicate this post to her.

Pre-flight day. Hilton Gatwick.
Amy's Bar. Stella (2).
It's a pretty good place. Much better than the downstairs sports bar, and quite a relaxed atmosphere, if you can find a seat. We staked out a high-top table and glared at anyone who came too close. You can't really go wrong with 2 Stellas, but I was saving myself for the Long Island Iced Tea bonanza in Florida, so this was just a warm-up. Teresa had 2 fizzy waters.

Flight day. BA2037.
I had a G&T (Gordons). I really don't like gin, but I always feel compelled to have one on a flight. It was fairly horrible. I then had a tiny bottle of Chilean Cab Sauv with lunch. I then had Teresa's bottle.
It was ok.

Oh, at duty free, I got Smirnoff, and Teresa got gin, because she knows I don't like it.

Day 1. Cally Grill.
Started at the bar, as we were early for our reservation. Very nice table by window. Long Island Iced Teas. One each. Went for the 'regular' rather than advertised 'Ultimate', as they're a lot cheaper because they use standard rather than premium spirits. With the meal, we had another one each (which I again ordered from the bar, rather than from the table, and tipped barstaff $1 each drink). The drinks were delicious, and came in around the $10 mark. The clocks were going forward that night, although as I have mentioned, Teresa doesn't drink a lot, and insisted they were going sideways.

Day 2. Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar.
2 Wrong Island Iced Teas (not a typo, that's what it says on the menu). Great place with tons to look at. Friendly, relaxed service. Drinks, again, around the $10 mark. Tipped 20% as it was waiter service, although there was plenty of room to sit at the bar. Teresa had fizzy water.

Day 3. Ohana and Trader Sam's
We had a reservation for 6. Arrived early and sat at bar next to restaurant. I had a Lapu Lapu. Fabulous. I've never enjoyed a whole pineapple as much before. Teresa had a pineapple juice (it may have come from the pineapple I was drinking alcohol from, I don't really know). Bar bill was $21. I then had a Long Island Iced Tea with dinner.
We went on to Trader's, which I'd been looking forward to immensely. It didn't disappoint. We sort of stumbled upon it somewhere near Captain Cooks. I wandered in, and asked if they had any seats (having heard about long queues outside), and there was loads of room at the bar. This was about 8pm. Teresa ordered a glass of Merlot, and I ordered an Uh-Oa, knowing that there would be ensuing hilarity. Teresa then chose this moment to go to the loo. I explained to the barman that he needed to wait until she was back, as she had no idea what was going to happen, and he was very amenable. Hilarity then ensued. There was a lot of entertainment involved in the couple of hours we were there. It was a bit like the Adventurer's Club, but not quite as flamboyant. Good fun.

Day 3 and more tomorrow, if anyone's reading.
Dunc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 17, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
RachelM
VIP Dibber

RachelM's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
I'm reading. Looking forward to the next update.
Old 6 Apr 17, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Queen_Elsa
Imagineer

Ooh a bar review! My favourite subject! 🍸🍹🍻

Port Orleans Riverside 2014
Caribbean Beach 2015
Caribbean Beach 2016
Caribbean Beach 2017... Now Animal Kingdom Lodge
Queen_Elsa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 17, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

I'm in and loving it. You've already been to some of my favourites!

Good tip on fetching your own drink from the bar - I would never have thought of that.
Old 7 Apr 17, 07:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Great idea for a report. I love your writing style as well!
Will be following this with interest. A friend of ours works at Jock Lindays and it is a nice venue albeit I found the wine list a bit thin. Well worth a visit though - be rude not to!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 17, 07:33 AM  
Link to this Post

Love your reports you do make me laugh

Will be following
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 17, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
MissFortune
Imagineer

Definitely interested in more. Love a good bar!

MissFortune is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 17, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Dunc
Very Serious Dibber

Many thanks to everyone who's reading!

Day 4. Jock Lindsey's and Spice Road Table.

Very cold day due to massive cold front caused by snow up north. Had to wear my Mickey hoodie. Walked SSR (Grandstand) to DS after missing boat by seconds. We initially went out to the boat part of the bar, then beat a hasty retreat indoors. Same server, and I had another 2 Wrong Islands. Teresa had a Teddy's Tea. She liked it. We shared some garlicky fries, which were a great snack as dinner was some way off. Lovely range of snacks on the menu, wish I'd tried more.

Then to Epcot, and after watching the British Invasion for a bit, we went to Spice Road. Sat indoors, and I had a beer, but I can't remember what it was. Probably just a Bud. I wasn't happy. Very cold weather, lackadaisical service, and Teresa had a glass of Lebanese wine. I tried it, and was glad I'd ordered a beer. We left before Illuminations.

Day 5. Scat Cats and River Roost.

Got the boat downstream from DS to FQ at about 5. I wanted to go to the pool bar, of which I have very happy, if slightly hazy memories from a couple of solo trips. It was closed. Mind you, it was still bloody freezing out there, so we hid in Scat Cats bar, which is very mellow. Listened to some very nice jazz (not live, although they do have live jazz fairly often), and also listened to a not so nice very noisy woman who seemed to want everyone in the bar to hear what she was saying. I drowned her out with 2 LIIT's. My drinks repertoire was getting a bit samey. Teresa had more pineapple juice.

Went on to River Roost at POR. We sat at the bar. I assured Teresa that Yeehaa Bob would not pick on us if we sat there. I had many Buds. Bob was hilarious as ever, and the evening ended up being expensive, and was followed by an excellent shared pizza in the food court, some of which I believe I ended up wearing.

Day 6. HOB - outside bar, and inside restaurant.

We had 9pm tickets for Cirque - Golden Circle. Pricey, but highly recommended. We'd booked HOB the day before. We had no problem getting a table for 6.30pm. Arrived about 5.30, after getting boat from SSR. Went to outside bar. A lot warmer today. I don't know whether it was happy hour, or what, but the drinks were extremely cheap. 2 LIIT's again. I was certainly fairly happy by this point. Inside, we had really nice food, and the service was very good, but then the bill arrived. I'd gone off-plan a bit and ordered drinks from the server, so when the bill came, there were four receipts. I was meant to decipher the DDP, the tip, the drinks, and the tip on those after 4 cocktails. I may have wandered off and left the whole thing to Teresa to sort out. Lovely place, and lovely food. Next time I'll stick with my buying drinks from the bar method.

Next: Day 7. Jiko
Dunc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 17, 11:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie Mum
Imagineer

Mobile

Following along🍸
Minnie Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 17, 11:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Kate
Very Serious Dibber

Really enjoying this!