Notices

Old 10 Sep 17, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
julie-ann
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Too many hut type structures and street furniture in Disney Springs that together make it unsafe. I was looking at it yesterday as part of my old job was risk mitigation and I was mulling it over as I walked around.
I would also have closed it as well.
I totally agree when the winds start, but I'm talking about this morning in light rain with no wind and yes I know they have to draw the line somewhere.
Old 10 Sep 17, 06:26 PM  
Link to this Post
angelbabe
Imagineer

Originally Posted by julie-ann View Post
I totally agree when the winds start, but I'm talking about this morning in light rain with no wind and yes I know they have to draw the line somewhere.
Osceola had tornado warnings as early as last night, I think maybe they are erring on the side of caution.
angelbabe is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 17, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Pantaloons
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
Thanks Mr Tom - we have FoP FP that we don't want to miss!
Pandora staff v helpful in the case of rescheduling. Guest relations moved 1 of our FOP Fastpassess we had for Sunday and then FOP staff at the FP+ queue moved Monday to yesterday.

We got to ride it twice with no fuss at all. They don't have to but they have been so accommodating so far.
Pantaloons is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 17, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

lol I like pool watch, we were confused why it was safe to walk around ssr but not the newly built Disney springs
Because DS was closed there would not be the appropriate staff available.

Of course you know better than Disneys Safety and Risk Management who have to deal with bad weather scenarios on a regular basis. Please accept that they know what they are doing. They are trying to keep everyone safe in a constantly changing situation.
The needs of the many ... etc...etc
PPM is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 12:01 AM  
Link to this Post
julie-ann
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Wow my point was why can I walk around a deserted ssr and not a deserted Disney springs But thanks for the comments 🙂
Old 11 Sep 17, 01:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

I would also hope that Disney is trying to minimize the number of staff they need on property. While you can probably roam with the same risk, having people in the area means having even just minimal staff. And when a property is as large as Disney, minimal staff in a lot of places adds up. People (not just visitors) are being told to shelter in place-do no go out. The fewer people on the roads the safer for everyone, including first responders. So I am sure Disney is operating with a very minimal skeleton staff,

While visitors to Florida may have their vacations disrupted, the people who work in tourism there may be having their lives blown apart, Please listen to those in charge and don't question them. Better a mistake involve being too cautious than not cautious enough.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 04:07 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by angelbabe View Post
Osceola had tornado warnings as early as last night, I think maybe they are erring on the side of caution.
Exactly, we had one at 11 or 12 last night and we are only 5 minutes from AK. At a resort you could seek safety quite quickly not so in DS if all the buildings were closed.
Old 11 Sep 17, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Queen of Herts
Imagineer

Queen of Herts's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Many staff would have gone home to secure their homes and be with their families. We got caught in the volcano ash cloud and had an extra week of holiday which was costly but we got on with it.
Queen of Herts is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

Wow my point was why can I walk around a deserted ssr and not a deserted Disney springs But thanks for the comments 🙂
You already have lots of sensible reasons others have expressed for this apparent discrepancy in terms of what's closed and what's open.

You also have to bear in mind that due to the fast changing nature of the situation, there should be a degree of autonomy in the management structure. Local managers will have the ability to close or open as they individually see fit. Some of this might simply be different personalities and risk management approaches.

You could also be isolating a single issue. At the point the area becomes unsafe, an awful lot of work will need to be done. closing some areas prematurely will relieve pressure when the moment of mad closing arrives.

You couldn't have a "set of rules", in such dynamic circumstances it would need updating and distributing as things change, which would not be practical, especially when the very infrastructure you might use to communicate said messages could be hit. It's better to have managers that are empowered to look after guests however then need to.
Old 11 Sep 17, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Thorpy View Post
You already have lots of sensible reasons others have expressed for this apparent discrepancy in terms of what's closed and what's open.

You also have to bear in mind that due to the fast changing nature of the situation, there should be a degree of autonomy in the management structure. Local managers will have the ability to close or open as they individually see fit. Some of this might simply be different personalities and risk management approaches.

You could also be isolating a single issue. At the point the area becomes unsafe, an awful lot of work will need to be done. closing some areas prematurely will relieve pressure when the moment of mad closing arrives.

You couldn't have a "set of rules", in such dynamic circumstances it would need updating and distributing as things change, which would not be practical, especially when the very infrastructure you might use to communicate said messages could be hit. It's better to have managers that are empowered to look after guests however then need to.
This sums it up perfectly.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List