Notices

Old 11 Sep 17, 03:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Inkworks
Looking for my Ears

Mobile

We just got a tornado warning. A tornado touched down about two miles from us (Daytona International Airport).

Now I'm petrified. Tornados are way worse than hurricanes and I wasn't expecting to be having to deal with them.

Our power also went out for a minute but luckily it came back on.

This is going to be a long night.
Inkworks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 03:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Yanto
Getting Excited

We are down here in a Cape Coral where the eye passed pretty much right over us. Compared to the storm things have calmed down here a lot now and the 12ft storm surge they were predicting post hurricane does not look like it is going to come to fruition.

To all those worried about coming to a Florida don't be, yes it was as bad a storm as I have ever seen but it does not seem to have done anywhere near the damage they were predicting. It could be that we are in an area of new build to hurricane specifications, but have to say this building including the windows did not miss a beat and the damage in surrounding area seems minimal. We will obviously see more in the morning.

Please try not to worry to much I know it's hard with family, we could be some of the lucky ones but we seem to have made it through surprisingly unscathed.
Yanto is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 03:21 AM  
Link to this Post
elliecjno1
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Originally Posted by Robblps View Post
We don't get this bad weather in Wales, never been scared of my window smashing there 😂😂
Makes our welsh weather seem mild I'm sure!
April '18 - WDW - POFQ & Emerald Island Villa

MAY '20 - WDW - POFQ & AMI CANCELLED BY COVID
elliecjno1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 03:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Junogirl1
VIP Dibber

Junogirl1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 8

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Originally Posted by Robblps View Post
We don't get this bad weather in Wales, never been scared of my window smashing there 😂😂
Well, you must not live in North Wales-we're always scared of our windows blowing in here-in fact, one time they did. it was back in the 90s. Storm Desmond and Storm Barbara I hardly slept through-waiting for my window to smash, luckily they didn't. Scary all the same.
Stay safe x
Old 11 Sep 17, 03:53 AM  
Link to this Post
kanickie
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

In Pop right now, our TV keeps cutting out. We're on 4th floor in the 80s. The wind was bad earlier, then there was a lull and now it's picking up again.
We're watching the weather channel and they've just said that the centre is heading north and straight for Disney area Orlando... :/
kanickie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 04:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Junogirl1
VIP Dibber

Junogirl1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 8

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Originally Posted by kanickie View Post
In Pop right now, our TV keeps cutting out. We're on 4th floor in the 80s. The wind was bad earlier, then there was a lull and now it's picking up again.
We're watching the weather channel and they've just said that the centre is heading north and straight for Disney area Orlando... :/
Can attest to this at Art of Animation.
Best thing to do is, if you know the Protect and Survive stuff, it's handy for a hurricane. Take all the things you need, valuables and get into your core or innermost refuge-in this case, the bathroom and hunker down there.

Remember, the more inland Irma goes, the more she's deprived of her energy and slows down. Not saying this will be the case with Irma, but it usually is in hurricanes as they don't have the warm sea air to power it.
Old 11 Sep 17, 04:02 AM  
Link to this Post
The Fatadder
Apprentice Imagineer

National Hurricane centre are saying it tracks to the left still, WESH Orlando have a similar track to the weather channel running to the right of the NHC cone hitting the line between Lake and Orange County after going through Winterhaven. Hoping the locals are wrong and the NHC are right.

Wind certainly picking up again here, still too fascinated to keep watching
The Fatadder is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 04:44 AM  
Link to this Post
churchy
Apprentice Imagineer

Seems that it has not caused the damage it was expected to. At the strength it is now I imagine there wont be much more. Within three or four hours it will have decreased in strength and moved on up. Bullet dodged.
Andrew seems to have caused far more damage than Irma.

Edited at 04:49 AM.
churchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 05:20 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by churchy View Post
Seems that it has not caused the damage it was expected to. At the strength it is now I imagine there wont be much more. Within three or four hours it will have decreased in strength and moved on up. Bullet dodged.
Andrew seems to have caused far more damage than Irma.
It may not be as bad as predicted and I am very happy for all tbe places on the coast that not been devastated but we are due to get 100 mph winds within the next hour. Think it is a bit early to say we have dodged the bullet. Building codes are also much stronger now than in pre Andrew days.
Old 11 Sep 17, 05:39 AM  
Link to this Post
onion2803
Apprentice Imagineer

Anyone know what those green flashes in the sky are?
onion2803 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List