Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 4 Apr 18, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Leyfy
Imagineer

Cruise newby - Carnival Cruise lines

Hi all

Couple of questions ... Mainly about logistics!

1. Can anyone talk me through the embarkation & disembarkation process please? Do you go through immigration again on the way back in and do we have to go through separate 'channels' like at the airport for non-US citizens? When is the best time to arrive at the port?

2. Can we easily get a taxi from Port Everglades to the airport as that is where we are picking up the hire car without booking one, or should we book in advance? (I don't really want to use Uber or Lyft tbh)

3. When we disembark can we take our luggage with us? Few places are saying this is quicker but we will have a suitcase each as we are away for nearly three weeks.

4. Any 'top tips' for newbies? (I have read Bat's very helpful sticky at the top of the forum )
Leyfy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 18, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

If you are hiring a car to get to the port, then the main companies all have shuttles and will drop you off at the cruise terminal. They also do pick ups after the cruise and I would certainly advise pre-booking as the car hire depots at PC are not huge and you may have quite a wait or be very restricted in your choice.
The embarkation is very busy but there are lots of staff on hand to ensure security and onwards to check-in desks goes as smoothly as possible.
When disembarking, the day before you will be given numbered luggage labels. You will probably be given the choice of assist (leaving your cases outside your cabin before a set time) or self-disembark where you have to wait for your number (as per your luggage labels) to be called. You then leave the ship (if you have used assist your cases will be in a numbered area landslide) and proceed to immigration. It’s usually a lot quicker than airport but there will be thousands (depending on ship size) in the lines. Once through then find where the car-hire shuttles are and that’s you.
We haven’t sailed with Carnival for a few years but that was certainly the system when we did and is still the process with Princess and RCI who we have used more recently.
One tip I would give is to have toiletries and any change of clothing you may need in your hand luggage at embarkation, you may be unluckly and have a fairly long wait for your cabin.
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 18, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Leyfy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bonnies mum View Post
If you are hiring a car to get to the port, then the main companies all have shuttles and will drop you off at the cruise terminal. They also do pick ups after the cruise and I would certainly advise pre-booking as the car hire depots at PC are not huge and you may have quite a wait or be very restricted in your choice.
The embarkation is very busy but there are lots of staff on hand to ensure security and onwards to check-in desks goes as smoothly as possible.
When disembarking, the day before you will be given numbered luggage labels. You will probably be given the choice of assist (leaving your cases outside your cabin before a set time) or self-disembark where you have to wait for your number (as per your luggage labels) to be called. You then leave the ship (if you have used assist your cases will be in a numbered area landslide) and proceed to immigration. It’s usually a lot quicker than airport but there will be thousands (depending on ship size) in the lines. Once through then find where the car-hire shuttles are and that’s you.
We haven’t sailed with Carnival for a few years but that was certainly the system when we did and is still the process with Princess and RCI who we have used more recently.
One tip I would give is to have toiletries and any change of clothing you may need in your hand luggage at embarkation, you may be unluckly and have a fairly long wait for your cabin.
Thank you, that's great advice

We are not hiring a car to get to the port, we are just getting a taxi from the hotel as we are in Fort Lauderdale for a few nights first.

However, when we get back from the cruise we need to pick up the car to drive to Naples. Do you know if Alamo do a shuttle from the port to the car hire area at the airport? Thank you
Leyfy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 18, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

Gosh, My apologies, I referred to Port Canaveral instead of Port Everglades, but procedures are as I said but bigger car rental from FL. Shuttle buses are over on the left of the cruise terminal, Alamo always been very efficient. They drop you off outside airport where the Car rental centre is on lower ground floor of Airport, Alamo desk easy to spot. Never had any problems there.

Edited at 11:25 AM.
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 18, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
scarecrow
Imagineer

scarecrow's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 9
Alamo now have a car rental place at Fort Lauderdale. I believe there is a shuttle bus that you catch.

You will love Carnival, we’ve cruised with them three times. Trying RCL in October for the first time. I now choose cruises for ports and cheapest price rather than the ship.
1990. - somewhere on the 192,2006 - Country Inn and Suites LBK, 2007- LA and San Diego, 2008 - Regal Palms, 2009 - OKW, 2010- Yacht Club, 2011- DCL Magic - Med,2012 - Yacht Club, 2013 - Carnival Sunshine Med cruise, 2014 Carnival Breeze and the Yacht Club

Photo app trip reports Carnival Med Cruise and VA & BA UC & Club indexhttp://http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/reporter-index.php?userid=19933

Pre cruise Med http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/show...d+cruise+mouse
scarecrow is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List