Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 6 Apr 18, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Clamshell
Imagineer

Do we, don’t we - I could go round forever!

We are thinking about a Disney cruise to the Fjords next August.

On minute, I’m convinced and am certain that we are ready to book it, and the next minute I’m worried about whether or not we’ll enjoy it, worried about the cost etc etc.

If we were to bite the bullet and book it, it booking direct with DCL the best option?

Phantom thread-killer of Old London Town 😁
Clamshell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 18, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
wilma-bride
Imagineer

wilma-bride's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I have never cruised the Fjords but I have heard they are extremely beautiful. What are the main reasons why you are doubting yourself? Is it the cruise you don't think you would enjoy or the itinerary? Is it the price?

If you do end up booking, I would advise booking with a TA who would give you an onboard credit - we use Dreams Unlimited and I have always been very happy with them.
wilma-bride is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 18, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Melanie R
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
If the cost is the issue, does it have to be a Disney cruise? Other cruise lines will be significantly cheaper

Duchess Adventures! - Trip report index
Melanie R is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 18, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Clamshell
Imagineer

It’s not so much the cost, it’s more that I’m never very good at spending money on something that is new to me!

I always do this and doubt myself and overthink it - which I suppose is daft as I know I do it!

When we booked our first Disney holiday the travel agent asked if I needed a few minutes and a glass of water! I get a bit freaked out by new things! (I sound like a total loon now!). Now we are on trip 3 to wdw I barely think about booking them!

I suppose my worry is that £3k+ is a lot of money if I don’t enjoy it - but the answer is I will never know unless I try!

I like the idea of a Disney cruise as it looks so laid back

Clamshell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 18, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
wilma-bride
Imagineer

wilma-bride's Reviews
Disney cruises are amazing. My husband now prefers them to the parks. I think it is one of those things that you have to just go with it. If you don't like it, chalk it up to experience - however, the more worrying thing is if you DO like it (which is the more likely) - it becomes a more expensive hobby than WDW, trust me

Edited at 07:38 PM.
wilma-bride is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 18, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Clamshell
Imagineer

I have requested a quote from dreams unlimited - it looks like they are an American company- does that have any implications regarding exchange rates etc? Apart from on board credit, are there pros and cons to using them over booking Disney directly?

Old 6 Apr 18, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
wilma-bride
Imagineer

wilma-bride's Reviews
Originally Posted by Clamshell View Post
I have requested a quote from dreams unlimited - it looks like they are an American company- does that have any implications regarding exchange rates etc? Apart from on board credit, are there pros and cons to using them over booking Disney directly?
I guess the cons for some might be the fact that you will have to pay in $$$. Their price will be exactly the same as booking on the DCL website so price it up yourself in ££ and see what the exchange rate is working out as, then decide if it is worth it to book with Dreams, given the onboard credit they will give you also.

The only other con (again, if you consider it a con) would be that you would have to make any changes or requests through the agent, and the fact that the majority of agents are based in the US. I just recently switched to a new agent, who is based in the UK though, as my previous agent retired and the Uk-based agent is a personal friend of mine who works for them now (she didn't when I first started using them).

The pros are the fact that it is easy to make payments through their website, they will send you handt reminders of when you can book things and the onboard credit they will offer is pretty good.
Old 7 Apr 18, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyBride08
Apprentice Imagineer

I booked this direct in £ on the DCL website. I also put a deposit down on the one the week before that goes to Holland. We have no idea if we can get the time off in August and will just cancel and get our deposit back if we can't go. I'm aiming for the Norway one as I do really want to go to Holland but Norway is calling to us more.

Both me and my son got sea sick on our 4 night cruise we did last year and we was actually booked on the Norway one this summer but I cancelled because I was worried about the sickness.

But we want to try again, I also want to go on a Disney holiday that doesn't include the 9 hour flight. We also feel a little theme parked out and because of illness feel like we missed so much for the 4 night cruise that we did. Our 3 year old loved it and she is the main reason I want to try again as she asks about it every day.

I did price up the same cruise with P&O on the same week and DCL was £700 more when you added on the P&O soft drinks drink package that I don't think would even be enough drink for the children. The room set up also put us off on the P&O ship.

1996 WDW Offsite / 2001 DLP HNY / 2002 WDW ASM / 2004 DLP NB / 2008 Our Wedding Trip WDW POFQ & GF / 2009 - WDW CSR / 2010 DLP with bump! NB / 2012 WDW AKL / 2013 DLP HC

Our 2017 return DCL / BC / Universal HRH Vlogs
DisneyBride08 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 18, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Clamshell
Imagineer

Mobile

I thought that you can’t get deposits back if you cancel?

Old 7 Apr 18, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyBride08
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Clamshell View Post
I thought that you can’t get deposits back if you cancel?
Not if you book through a UK travel agent but we got this years deposit back. We booked direct with DCL, I cancelled in November. I'm sure it states it in their T&C's now much notice you have to give.

1996 WDW Offsite / 2001 DLP HNY / 2002 WDW ASM / 2004 DLP NB / 2008 Our Wedding Trip WDW POFQ & GF / 2009 - WDW CSR / 2010 DLP with bump! NB / 2012 WDW AKL / 2013 DLP HC

Our 2017 return DCL / BC / Universal HRH Vlogs
DisneyBride08 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List