Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 8 Apr 18, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
vics18
Very Serious Dibber

First time cruise - P&O Ventura looking for any advice!

Hi lovely Dibbers!
New one for us this year...we are off on a 1 week Med cruise on P&O Ventura in June. Have to say it wouldn't be my first choice of holiday with a 2 year old but my cousin is getting married on board so that's the reason behind the trip! So I was wondering does anybody have any hints/tips/advice for me? My main areas of concern are dress code, kids facilities, cabin space (we have booked a balcony cabin).
There are 2 formal.nights but one is the day of the wedding so obviously that one is taken care of. How formal is formal and can you choose not to participate?
Is there a specific kids pool/areas for kids?

I really appreciate any help! Thanks so much xx
vics18 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 18, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

P&O kids facilities are great although my youngest was 3 when we first went. I think the club starts at 2. They have a night nursery where you can leave them in the evening and they do a kids tea at about 5pm which they can go to if they aren't going to dinner with the adults.
It has to be one of the best for families with young children. My 2 loved it and still do at 21 and 24! Don't miss the fancy dress, you have a certain time to make costumes in the club then the kids parade in the foyer and they have a prize giving.
I think there is a separate kids wet play area next to the club. It's been a while since I was on Ventura.
Old 8 Apr 18, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I have cruised with P&O but on an adults only cruise.

My sister took her 18month old and 3year old on a cruise last year - she said it was amazing for the kids.
She said the kids clubs were great - especially the night nursery (although I dont know what the youngest age is they cater for but I do think that both kids went.). As PP said they also do kids dinner at a set time prior to the main dining room being open. And I am sure that most ships have a kids only pool.

In terms of formal night - its up to you. We found that 90% of our cruise did formal night. We love the whole dressing up thing - and we did dress up for dinner most nights anyway and then dressed extra special for formal night. (I mean how often do you get to dress up 7 nights in a row for dinner - were lucky to go out 7 times a year! )

You dont HAVE to do formal night but you won't be able to use any of the main dining rooms - but you can use the buffet which will be just as nice.
The menus are posted outside the dining rooms mid afternoon.

In fact we cruised with Princess in the summer and one formal night we didnt fancy the menu so we went to the buffet in our finery
Although being an American line their formal nights aren't as formal as P&O.

There are several Facebook groups for each of the ships - join up and you'll get lots of hints and tips.

I think most ships have a Costa coffee - you have to pay for the coffee but the cakes are free - I think this is because they make the cakes on board. If you fancy one of the speciality restaurants go on the first or second night if you get a chance as this is when they do the best offers - otherwise its £20 odd a head extra - but everything ive read said its worth it. We didnt do the extra restaurants on our cruise but next time we have a 2 weeker so we will be trying a couple of them).

I dont think that they do the fish extender gifting that they tend to do on Disney cruises.

We found having all our stuff in one place but being able to visit lots of different places really good.

There will be lots of storage room in your cabin.If you need anything just ask your cabin steward - they are soo helpful!

Touchy subject but you can go to reception and ask for your tips to be removed - we did this and tipped our steward and table servers in the main dining room (MDR). Just keep this to yourself as it can seriously offend many people!

We found the breakfast service in the MDR slow so we would always go to the buffet - although you can have breakfast delivered to your room. The do make a small charge though.

There will be a kettle etc in your room (I think P&O are the only ones who do). Instead of buying water you can bring it onboard and have it delivered to your cabin with your luggage.
Drinks prices are the same as pub prices and you dont have to tip as you go along either.

Hope some of this helps.

Katie
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 18, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
vics18
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by katiec68 View Post
I have cruised with P&O but on an adults only cruise.

My sister took her 18month old and 3year old on a cruise last year - she said it was amazing for the kids.
She said the kids clubs were great - especially the night nursery (although I dont know what the youngest age is they cater for but I do think that both kids went.). As PP said they also do kids dinner at a set time prior to the main dining room being open. And I am sure that most ships have a kids only pool.

In terms of formal night - its up to you. We found that 90% of our cruise did formal night. We love the whole dressing up thing - and we did dress up for dinner most nights anyway and then dressed extra special for formal night. (I mean how often do you get to dress up 7 nights in a row for dinner - were lucky to go out 7 times a year! )

You dont HAVE to do formal night but you won't be able to use any of the main dining rooms - but you can use the buffet which will be just as nice.
The menus are posted outside the dining rooms mid afternoon.

In fact we cruised with Princess in the summer and one formal night we didnt fancy the menu so we went to the buffet in our finery
Although being an American line their formal nights aren't as formal as P&O.

There are several Facebook groups for each of the ships - join up and you'll get lots of hints and tips.

I think most ships have a Costa coffee - you have to pay for the coffee but the cakes are free - I think this is because they make the cakes on board. If you fancy one of the speciality restaurants go on the first or second night if you get a chance as this is when they do the best offers - otherwise its £20 odd a head extra - but everything ive read said its worth it. We didnt do the extra restaurants on our cruise but next time we have a 2 weeker so we will be trying a couple of them).

I dont think that they do the fish extender gifting that they tend to do on Disney cruises.

We found having all our stuff in one place but being able to visit lots of different places really good.

There will be lots of storage room in your cabin.If you need anything just ask your cabin steward - they are soo helpful!

Touchy subject but you can go to reception and ask for your tips to be removed - we did this and tipped our steward and table servers in the main dining room (MDR). Just keep this to yourself as it can seriously offend many people!

We found the breakfast service in the MDR slow so we would always go to the buffet - although you can have breakfast delivered to your room. The do make a small charge though.

There will be a kettle etc in your room (I think P&O are the only ones who do). Instead of buying water you can bring it onboard and have it delivered to your cabin with your luggage.
Drinks prices are the same as pub prices and you dont have to tip as you go along either.

Hope some of this helps.

Katie
This is all so helpful, thanks so much for taking the time to write such a detailed reply. Feel totally unprepared having never cruised before! Thanks again x
vics18 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 18, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
vics18
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
P&O kids facilities are great although my youngest was 3 when we first went. I think the club starts at 2. They have a night nursery where you can leave them in the evening and they do a kids tea at about 5pm which they can go to if they aren't going to dinner with the adults.
It has to be one of the best for families with young children. My 2 loved it and still do at 21 and 24! Don't miss the fancy dress, you have a certain time to make costumes in the club then the kids parade in the foyer and they have a prize giving.
I think there is a separate kids wet play area next to the club. It's been a while since I was on Ventura.
Thanks so much for replying, most appreciated!
Old 8 Apr 18, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

It used to be that on formal nights you had to follow the dress code to go in the MDR, some of the bars and I think also the theatre. Obviously it is possible to avoid those areas. We were on Azura one year in a bar after dinner and my dad had untied his bow tie and had it hanging round his neck, also removed his white Tux jacket and he was asked to put them back on. Not sure they are as strict as that now.

Must admit we enjoy dressing for dinner, we cruise Celebrity a bit and they don't have formal nights, we miss them.

Edited at 08:11 PM.
Scotty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 18, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Cosworth
Apprentice Imagineer

Breakfast in the cabin is complimentary, but other room service food is chargeable.
There is no dress code for the buffet, which is open day and night. Tea, coffee and biscuits are provided in your cabin every day.
The kids clubs are well organised and very popular.
Have a great time.
Cosworth is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 18, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by vics18 View Post
This is all so helpful, thanks so much for taking the time to write such a detailed reply. Feel totally unprepared having never cruised before! Thanks again x
You're welcome- we all have to start somewhere! Luckily for us both sets of parents and our friends have cruised before

X
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 18, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
vics18
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Cosworth View Post
Breakfast in the cabin is complimentary, but other room service food is chargeable.
There is no dress code for the buffet, which is open day and night. Tea, coffee and biscuits are provided in your cabin every day.
The kids clubs are well organised and very popular.
Have a great time.
Great thanks.
That's good to know about the buffet, just in case there's an evening we just feel like having a quick bite and an early night rather than getting all dressed up, good to know there's that option available.
Thanks so much for your reply.
Old 8 Apr 18, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
vics18
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
It used to be that on formal nights you had to follow the dress code to go in the MDR, some of the bars and I think also the theatre. Obviously it is possible to avoid those areas. We were on Azura one year in a bar after dinner and my dad had untied his bow tie and had it hanging round his neck, also removed his white Tux jacket and he was asked to put them back on. Not sure they are as strict as that now.

Must admit we enjoy dressing for dinner, we cruise Celebrity a bit and they don't have formal nights, we miss them.
Wow that's strict! Do the formal nights tend to be black tie?
Thank you for replying