Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 20 May 18, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Kids attire for dining room

We have got formal nights sorted.

But now thinking about ‘smart casual’. I know that jeans are not really acceptable and there is no way DH and I would go into dinner dressed in jeans. However, our DGS only has jeans and I really resent spending any money whatsoever for a pair of chinos which he will only wear five times. We have bought him some new polo shirts.

So my question is this, do other children wear jeans in the dining room?
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 18, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Cutiepie
Imagineer

My DS always wore his shorts except for formal night.

I think he also wore jeans during our DCL Alaska cruise

Edited at 10:58 AM.
Cutiepie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 18, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I think it depends on the age of the child . A two year old is one thing, a twelve year old is a different matter.
As kids on cruises once school age my parents felt we were old enough to dress appropriately for the dress code though. Their view was if we were old enough for formal dining then we were old enough to dress correctly, if we didn't want to than there are other dining options.
A pair of chinos from Primark is less than a fiver though so considering the cost of a cruise it's hardly a significant amount.

Edited at 11:10 AM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 18, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
It really depends on the cruise line, Most I have been on jeans would be perfectly acceptable with a nice polo shirt. My son usually has a pair of chinos for a cruise for when smarter dressnis required but even on Disney cruise line we found the dress a lot more casual than we expected even on formal night.
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 18, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Like Danisleigh says, it really does depend on the cruise line. Some will ask you not to wear shorts, tshirts, jeans or trainers whereas others are more relaxed.

DCL is very relaxed and jeans are perfectly acceptable at dinner as are shorts, trainers and even flip flops. The only rule is no swimwear, coverups or vests (for men generally). There are the more upscale restaurants that have more rules, but for the main dining rooms, it's relaxed - it's your holiday!

On that note, remember it is your cruise, not anybody elses. If your g/son is happy and not complaining, that makes for a good experience for you, him and your fellow passengers.

Follow the rules of your cruiseline and you won't go far wrong.

Joa