Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 14 Jun 18, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
OLS
Imagineer

Positive review for Alamo Miami Airport

We recently rented from Alamo Brits with Collection / Drop off at Miami Airport and just wanted to give a positive review on the experience. We have always used Alamo and never had an issue anyway but this time I booked (on purpose) an incorrect car class and was a little sceptical about how it was going to turn out. We wanted a 7 seater SUV however the price (at the best price) was something like £650 I think (can’t remember exactly off the top of my head without looking back at my notes) but the Mini Van was much cheaper at I think £478 ish so I booked that, however then someone here mentioned a price glitch with the Premium SUV (BMW X3 or similar) which is a higher class than the 7 Seater SUV we wanted so I changed my booking from the Mini Van to the Premium SUV for about £6 more than my original price with the intention of “downgrading” to the 7 Seater SUV at the airport meaning we got what we wanted for the same price as the Mini Van.

Fast forward to Arrival and we handed over our papers and we were directed to a Manager who apologised and said they Didn’t have any BMW X3s but they had the Audi Q7 and we could take that – We did look it over but with 3 Adults and 2 kids and a bit of a road trip planned we decided it might be a bit of a squeeze, they unfortunately had no Suburbans in or Navigators in but said we could wait around for one as there were some due back in the row “shortly” but couldn’t give a definitive time but since we were shattered after a long flight we decided to just pick something else in the same row and we went for a Ford Expedition which is classed as a Full Size SUV I think and as it had the seats and boot space we wanted and it felt HUGE we decided to take that and be happy with it! 15k on the clock, Apple Car play all the bells and whistles you expect so off we went. No problems with the car at all, it was a lovely car to drive, very easy and smooth and enough power and it wasn’t too bad on Fuel. We went Mia to Hollywood and drove a bit in Hollywood, then Hollywood to Orlando and drove every day in Orlando, Orlando to Anna Maria Island however didn’t drive much once there, then Anna Maria Island to Fort Myers Beach and finally Fort Myers Beach to Miami Airport and we used the Full tank of Pre Paid Fuel plus put in another $90 while there (a $50 top up and a $40 top up) which for the amount of driving we did and the size of the car I thought was very good.

So about the pre-paid fuel, I added it before we went and it was quoted at just under $60 (I think $57.89 or something) which was for the BMW X3 and when we left the garage I checked the paper work and the pre-paid fuel option was $117 which I queried, the girl unfortunately didn’t have a clue what I was asking and ended up telling me to ring Alamo – anyway I emailed and they said it was because they had quoted for the full tank on the BMW X3 but as I had taken the Expedition it’s a bigger tank and so the new price was for the bigger tank and if I didn’t want to pay it just return it full and I wouldn’t be charged – fair enough I thought. I then remembered a post Mr Tom Morrow made not long before we left about querying the difference on return and getting something deducted so I decided to try that option as no way was I hunting round a very busy Miami Airport area for a Petrol Station to fill up on return (we did that a few years ago and it was a nightmare and added stress! ). I returned the car, spoke to the guy and showed him my booking confirmation with the $57 quote and my exit sheet with the $117 quote and said there were now BMW X3s for us to take and we were advised to take something else but that we were not advised / didn’t realise the fuel would be so much more (I was very polite!) and he explained that yes the difference was due to the bigger car fuel tank etc but that he would “on this occasion” make an amendment and just charge us the original quoted fuel price, he wrote something on our bill and sent us to a booth and 10 mins later we had a new receipt. I have checked my CC and I have only been charged £43 for the pre-paid tank as promised.

So although I had to "downgrade" quite a bit from Premium Elite SUV to the Full Size SUV I can't complain as that is what we wanted in the first place (full size SUV) at the price we were paying for the Mini Van and that is exactly what we got, it's a shame they had no Suburbans / Navigators in the line up (they did on return! ) and had I been on my own I may have waited for one to come in for a short time but with 2 tired kids and a grumpy DH it wasn't worth the wait so once again a very positive experience with Alamo and I will continue to use them in the future no question!

Edited at 11:08 AM.
OLS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 18, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Annie17
Very Serious Dibber

nice to hear a positive story and glad you managed to get what you originally wanted,

can i ask, did you have 7 or 8 seats?

Wdw 2013,2016,2018,2019

Engaged 04/09/18 in Magic Kingdom.
Annie17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 18, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
OLS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Annie17 View Post
nice to hear a positive story and glad you managed to get what you originally wanted,

can i ask, did you have 7 or 8 seats?
It's listed as 7 and so as such there were only 7 belts however I think really it could be an 8 as there are 3 in the back (standard seat positions) and then a row behind them (which can be set down for a bigger boot) and it is a full row accross the car but there was only a seat belt at either side on that very back row
OLS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 18, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
99plums
Imagineer

Mobile

Great post OLS.
I’ve upgraded from a Full Size SUV to a Luxury SUV as it was only £5 more on one of Brits funny price days!
99plums is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 18, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by OLS View Post
It's listed as 7 and so as such there were only 7 belts however I think really it could be an 8 as there are 3 in the back (standard seat positions) and then a row behind them (which can be set down for a bigger boot) and it is a full row accross the car but there was only a seat belt at either side on that very back row
Generally a lap belt in 3rd row middle seat.
In all countries compulsory for seat belts to match seats.
7 seat options have 2 seperate middle row seats all 3rd rows are 3.
Glad you had a good time.