Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 14 Jun 18, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

San Diego trip-where else in that area?

Hello,
We're flying into San Diego next Easter; arrive on Weds & fly home the following Tuesday;a 6 night stay.

We're not counting Wednesday as a day to particularly do anything apart from a wander, dinner etc.

Our initial thoughts are 3 full days in SD (Thurs, Fri & Sat) with a visit to the zoo, museums, exploration of the city districts & beach areas etc.

We have little interest in the likes of Sea World or Legoland so no plans to visit those.

What are the other must do's?

We had 3 full days in San Francisco at Easter '18 & felt we covered the main sights (Alcatraz, Dylan's tour, GG bridge, Fisherman's Wharf, Chinatown, Walt Disney Family museum, Union Sq, cable car etc)

Based on that, I think 3 full days is enough in SD? Do we need a car in SD?

We then want to pick up a car (if not needed in SD); pick up on Easter Sunday; drop off on Tuesday for a few days outside San Diego.
Will Easter Sunday cause any issues/closures?

Where do you recommend?
We're aware that Joshua Tree is not too far away; recommended; any specifics we should do there; would it warrant an overnight stay and if so where?

We loved our brief trip down PCH between San Francisco & Santa Cruz this year and are interested in doing this again on a more southerly stretch; recommendations?

Would a trip up PCH visiting areas along/around there trump Joshua Tree if it was one or the other?

Any replies & recommendations are much appreciated!

Edited at 02:14 PM.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 18, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
TractorBoy
Imagineer

TractorBoy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Joshua Tree is around a three hour drive. We did the hop on hop off bus tour which we found was a really good way of seeing things, also takes you over to Coronado which is a lovely area to walk round.

Joshua Tree is good visit but we were in Palm Springs so not far to drive.

There is the USS Midway to visit for a few hours as well.

Edited at 02:21 PM.
TractorBoy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 18, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
lindaj
Imagineer

We visited there a few years ago. There's seaworld, a big zoo but we then drove on to Las Vagas and then to Los Angeles.
Old 14 Jun 18, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

We did 11 nights in San Diego and Joshua Tree at Christmas! Have a look at my SoCal trip report for what we did!

As to a car, we needed one but I know one Dibber managed without one (she also did a trip report (Adventures on public transport)!

Shout if you have any questions!
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 18, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Wishing
slightly serious Dibber

San Diego is fairly compact so easy to get around. We didn't bother with a car (It's my trip report thats mentioned above) and used use Uber and the tram. A car would be handy if you want to visit the beach towns of San Diego. I would check if the car hire places our open on Easter Sunday. If they're not maybe pick up a car on the Saturday and cover any of the outer town bits your interested in. I would highly recommend La Jolla. It's a really scenic beach town with a fab beach front walk complete with lots of sealions. There's plenty of restaurants and a some shops there too. Nice way to spend an afternoon. There's also kayaking but we didn't have time for that.
DCL: '14 Disney Magic.
Disney Wishing is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 18, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Thanks to all those who've replied so far; much appreciated!
Old 14 Jun 18, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Hi scooby99 I am a resident of San Diego and I have a San Diego planning guide in a sticky thread at the top of this forum, in case you haven't seen it yet. There is a link to the thread in my signature below, too. I have put together a list of all the main things there are to do and see in San Diego. You could easily fill more than three days if you were inclined. Tractorboy mentioned the USS Midway aircraft carrier tour, and I agree with him that it's worth a visit. San Diego is a big military town, and the USS Midway pays homage to that part of our city's history. A short walk along the harbor from the Midway is the San Diego Maritime Museum with a small collection of historic vessels. You can also catch a harbor cruise from the pier next to the Midway...Flagship does good tours and you can choose from 1 or 2 hour cruises.

The Old Town Trolley Tour is a fun way to spend a few hours seeing some locations you might not have time to get to on your own. You can hop off at different stops to do some exploring, or just stay on-board the trolley buses for the duration, which takes about 2 hours if you don't get off at any stops. I would suggest starting the tour at Old Town State Park, and you could then also visit the state park after the tour. Old Town is the most historic area of San Diego that exists, and reflects the city's first settlement by the Spanish. If you go, then you should definitely be sure to have a meal at one of the Mexican restaurants in Old Town. Mexican food is a staple in San Diego, and a favorite with most locals. Cafe Coyote is my favorite restaurant in Old Town, but the Old Town Mexican Cafe is good also, and so is Miguel's Cocina. Another spot worthy of a visit in San Diego, especially for it's views, is the Cabrillo National Monument and Point Loma Lighthouse museum. It's a state park located on a bluff over the ocean in the neighborhood of Point Loma, just a few minutes from the airport and downtown.There is a fee of $15 per vehicle to enter the Cabrillo state park. I have links to all these places I've mentioned in my planning thread, if you want more info.

If you want other day trip ideas from San Diego, I have a couple to throw in. The pacific coast highway 101 runs through a big portion of San Diego county...in some spots the name changes to highway 1. It's a beautiful drive if you want to keep it simple and just stay within an easy day trip through San Diego county. As you head north on the coast highway, you'll pass through a few lovely beach towns such as La Jolla, Del Mar, Solana Beach, Encinitas, Carlsbad and Oceanside. The San Diego county portion of the 101 ends in Oceanside, although you can keep going on the highway all the way up to Oregon. The north county coast of San Diego is beautiful, and there are a few nice little places you can stop off at. There is a good guide to the San Diego coast highway and what to see along the way on this website: sandiego/articles/to...alifornia.aspx The towns on that website are listed in order if you were driving from north to south...but you'll be heading north, so start at the bottom with La Jolla. If you decide to go for this drive, there is a good bakery in an area called Cardiff that does great donuts, called VG: vgbakery/ The 101 Cafe in Oceanside is a cool historic spot to dine: 101cafe/ and while in Oceanside, the California Surfing Museum is worthy of a visit: surfmuseum/ The surf culture is very big in southern California, and especially in San Diego's north county beach towns.

One other quick suggestion...since I know my post is dragging on here lol... Julian is a quaint little town in the mountains about an hour drive east of San Diego. It was once a gold mining town during the Gold Rush era. It still has a small town feel, and it's known mostly now for it's apple orchards and homemade apple pie that most of the cafes and bakeries in the town offer. There are a lot of antique shops, country stores etc. in town- it's not a very big place overall. Here's more Julian info: visitjulian/.

While it is possible to get around San Diego without a car, it's only easiest if you are getting around the downtown area where there are more public transportation options. San Diego doesn't offer many transportation options outside of downtown and I always tell people it's the easiest and most convenient to get around with a car. If you don't get a car, then Uber and Lyft are popular choices to get around here. Most major attractions should be open on Easter Sunday, and a lot of restaurants too...though some smaller places might close, or close earlier than usual.

Feel free to contact me if I can help answer any other questions.

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941

Edited at 06:54 PM.
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 18, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Thanks Aims, very helpful.

Our favourite food is Mexican, Cuban, Latin & South American; on a 14 day trip to Florida, at least 3-4 of our evening meals will be those!
So knowing how great Mexican food is in Cali, we can't wait to try it in SD.

Edited at 10:41 PM.
Old 14 Jun 18, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scooby99 View Post
Our favourite food is Mexican, Cuban, Latin & South American; on a 14 day trip to Florida, at least 3-4 of our evening meals will be those!
So knowing how great Mexican food is in Cali, we can't wait to try it in SD.

We're a little spoiled being next door to Mexico, so almost any Mexican place you try in San Diego will be good- except for Freddy's in Old Town. Tourist trap with crap food- avoid like the plague lol.

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List