Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 15 Jan 14, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post

Question What time to leave WDW to get to PC for cruise?

I am trying to work out what time we should leave the Beach Club.
We are first time cruisers so will probably get a later boarding time, but no idea what time it will be?
How long before boarding do we need to check in?
And how long before that should we arrive in order the park the car and transfer to the DCL check in?
So then it's just a case of checking how long the drive is and adding a bit for contingency.
Reason is we are thinking of having a family photo shoot that morning at the Beach Club and need to work out if there is time, takes about an hour to 90mins. Otherwise the morning will feel kind of wasted and I would rather not schedule the shoot on a park day.
Thanks
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 14, 12:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
If you're parking your car at PC, then transfer time is around a 5 min walk.
If you're using a rental car and dropping it at a rental shop, allow around 30-40 mins total.

If you're not in a rush to get on board, and, like you say, you may get a late PAT anyway, have the photoshoot then drive down. It's an hour from WDW to PC.

I wouldn't arrive any later than 1pm, but that's just me.
Old 16 Jan 14, 01:30 AM  
Link to this Post
jdybnsn
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bats View Post
If you're parking your car at PC, then transfer time is around a 5 min walk.
If you're using a rental car and dropping it at a rental shop, allow around 30-40 mins total.

If you're not in a rush to get on board, and, like you say, you may get a late PAT anyway, have the photoshoot then drive down. It's an hour from WDW to PC.

I wouldn't arrive any later than 1pm, but that's just me.
... you forgot to add 15mins to stop at Publix for wine/beer supplies on the way down... there one just off the highway 10 mins from the port.

**GOLD CASTAWAY CAY MEMBERS !**Feb2002- I Drive Feb2004- PORS Feb2006 -Regal Palms/4 Night Disney Wonder Feb2008- Reunion /Disney Magic Western/Omni@CG Feb2010 - Reunion/Disney Magic Eastern/Hammock Beach PalmCoast July2010- Disney Magic 8 Night Dover-Barcelona July2011 Disney Magic10 Night Med.Feb2012-Anna Maria Island/Disney Dream X2/Hyatt GC. May 2014 Disney Fantasy Eastern
jdybnsn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 14, 01:44 AM  
Link to this Post

Yep we are planning to buy wine on the way down, or maybe the night before.

We will be parking at PC, not returning the car, we looked into it but it doesn't save us anything to return the car and collect another one. We will be using one of the cheaper car parks, so not sure if that will take a bit longer.

The photoshoots are normally 10am-11am, and we would leave the Beach Club straight from there, so we should be ok then.

Thanks
Old 16 Jan 14, 04:25 AM  
Link to this Post
mandevillepete
Apprentice Imagineer

Hi sorry to jump in but we are also traveling by car from AKL to PC. Can I ask which car hire you are using. We are cruising for four nights. Is it cheaper then to keep car and pay for the days you are cruising and also pay parking charges rather than return car and then pick up new car at end of cruise?
mandevillepete is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 14, 08:07 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Personally I'd try and get on board as early as possible. You have lunch on boarding and can use the pool etc. I'd like to make the most of the first day
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 14, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Sir Planalot View Post
Yep we are planning to buy wine on the way down, or maybe the night before.

We will be parking at PC, not returning the car, we looked into it but it doesn't save us anything to return the car and collect another one. We will be using one of the cheaper car parks, so not sure if that will take a bit longer.

The photoshoots are normally 10am-11am, and we would leave the Beach Club straight from there, so we should be ok then.

Thanks
You'll be fine for time, by the time you get there, they will have open boarding so you'll go straight on.
I would still get as early a PAT time as you can though, just in case the shoot gets cancelled and you can leave earlier.
If you're parking in a nearby car park, it will be similar timings to if you leave a rental car and use their shuttle .. I would add on 30 or so minutes.
I would definitely get beer/wine before that day, don't use up any more time on that morning.

Originally Posted by mandevillepete View Post
Hi sorry to jump in but we are also traveling by car from AKL to PC. Can I ask which car hire you are using. We are cruising for four nights. Is it cheaper then to keep car and pay for the days you are cruising and also pay parking charges rather than return car and then pick up new car at end of cruise?
There are off site car parks nearby that charge half the price of the terminal parking (down to $7.95 per day). You'll need to look at how much you'd be charged for having the car for the period before your cruise and dropping it off at Cape Canaveral on the day of the cruise. Then get a price for collecting a car on the day the cruise finishes to the day you leave for home.

Then get a price for having the car all days, add car parking and see which one is cheaper.

It would have to be at least $50 cheaper for me to do a split rental as i would leave unwanted stuff in the boot of the car whilst cruising.
Old 16 Jan 14, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by mandevillepete View Post
I was going to say the same as Bats above, it all depends on the number of rental days before and after the cruise. For instance whole weeks work out cheaper, for our particular dates we have looked at a few rental companies and either way it is about the same price/cheaper to keep the car and park it offsite than it is to return the car and pick up a new one. Also in the past we have had problems with rental cars and had to take them back and change them, so assuming that we are happy with the car we have before the cruise I don't want to risk up getting a different one that might have problems, and waste any time.

We will get wine the night before, and we will be dropping our surplus luggage at the Beach Club while we are on the cruise rather than leave it in the boot of the car.

I will see if the photo shoot can be 9-10:30am then we can set off and allowing for parking should be at the terminal by 12:30pm. Will try for an early PAT, when are we allowed to do that stuff as first time cruisers? Is it 75days before or if we pay the balance early can we do it sooner?
Old 16 Jan 14, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Sir Planalot View Post
I was going to say the same as Bats above, it all depends on the number of rental days before and after the cruise. For instance whole weeks work out cheaper, for our particular dates we have looked at a few rental companies and either way it is about the same price/cheaper to keep the car and park it offsite than it is to return the car and pick up a new one. Also in the past we have had problems with rental cars and had to take them back and change them, so assuming that we are happy with the car we have before the cruise I don't want to risk up getting a different one that might have problems, and waste any time.

We will get wine the night before, and we will be dropping our surplus luggage at the Beach Club while we are on the cruise rather than leave it in the boot of the car.

I will see if the photo shoot can be 9-10:30am then we can set off and allowing for parking should be at the terminal by 12:30pm. Will try for an early PAT, when are we allowed to do that stuff as first time cruisers? Is it 75days before or if we pay the balance early can we do it sooner?
It's 75 days I'm afraid. Book yourself a few more cruises and you'll be at 120 days in no time!
Old 17 Jan 14, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Dicklett
Excited about Disney

unless you're concierge right ?
Dicklett is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread