Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 28 Jan 14, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Irish
Imagineer

Freedom of the Sea - Western route

Has anyone gone on Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Sea? Particularly the western route, we have booked for September and would love some tips. I've looked in the trippies but haven't found one, so would love if someone could point me in the right direction
Old 28 Jan 14, 11:34 PM  
Link to this Post
debs1505
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 9
We are on 27 April I will report back

Great reviews on cruise critic
Old 28 Jan 14, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post
cheekydeeky
VIP Dibber

Yes we did this route on Freedom last year, departed on 15 September, had an amazing time. So much so we are doing the Eastern this year on Freedom. I can't wait! By far the best holiday we had ever had, enjoyed every minute.

Any questions just fire ahead
cheekydeeky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 14, 11:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

We did freedom for our honeymoon, it was our first cruise and we loved it.

Caribbean excursions are great, lots of variety. Book them early though, we waited to book on the cruise and a lot of what we wanted was fully booked. You can view the options and book online not sure when this opens up though.

Does it still stop at Grand Caymen? Definitely recommend the tortoga rum cake, it's amazing, there's a factory and shop you can go in, it's rum cake heaven
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 14, 11:54 PM  
Link to this Post
christybell
Imagineer

I have literally just finished reading a brilliant review on cruise critic of this route as we are sailing it in April, although on Indy rather than Freedom...here;s the link enjoy

boards.cruisecritic/showthread.php?t=1934831

July 2009 ASM/TI/Hmew'd Suites
August 2010 OKW/Dibb villa
July2011 OKW/RPR/Cocoa Beach/Dibb Villa
July 2012 RPR/Carnival Destiny/Dibb Villa
July 2013 OKW/Anna Maria Island/Dibb Villa
Nov 2013 Sunset Lakes- my 40th Birthday
April 2014 Cruise and Villa
April 2015 Clearwater/RPR/Dibb Villa
Dec 2015 Dibb Villa to see the Xmas lights
July 2016 RPR/Cruise/Dibb villa
christybell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 14, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Irish
Imagineer

Originally Posted by debs1505 View Post

Fantastic, I would love to hear how you get on, its a cruise for my mum's 60th birthday so we are very excited

Originally Posted by cheekydeeky View Post
Yes we did this route on Freedom last year, departed on 15 September, had an amazing time. So much so we are doing the Eastern this year on Freedom. I can't wait! By far the best holiday we had ever had, enjoyed every minute.

Any questions just fire ahead
Great I will have loads of questions Did you get a drinks package? and if so which one and did you think it was worth it? The seem quite expensive.

Did you get sea sick at all?

Originally Posted by Bellasmummy View Post
We did freedom for our honeymoon, it was our first cruise and we loved it.

Caribbean excursions are great, lots of variety. Book them early though, we waited to book on the cruise and a lot of what we wanted was fully booked. You can view the options and book online not sure when this opens up though.

Does it still stop at Grand Caymen? Definitely recommend the tortoga rum cake, it's amazing, there's a factory and shop you can go in, it's rum cake heaven
This was a question I did have whether to book excursions with RC or to look for local tours? where there a lot of people on the RC excursions? Are there any in particular that you would recommend? It does still stop in Grand Caymen so we'll definitely get some rum cake

Originally Posted by christybell View Post
I have literally just finished reading a brilliant review on cruise critic of this route as we are sailing it in April, although on Indy rather than Freedom...here's the link enjoy

boards.cruisecritic/showthread.php?t=1934831
Thanks for posting this, I didn't know where to find proper trippies all I could see on Cruise Critic were short reviews that didn't give much detail, I'll have a proper look through there today
Old 29 Jan 14, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
cheekydeeky
VIP Dibber

We aren't big drinkers so just bought the soda package for OH which was definitely good value. Think I'll have one myself this year. The cocktails are about $7 each which we though was reasonable, we had a couple each every night. I think you'd need to be pretty drunk every night to get value for money with a package but we don't like wine so maybe that's where you'd save?

Any other questions fire ahead.

We did a tour in Jamaica but in the other ports we just found it nice to wander about at our leisure.
cheekydeeky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 14, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
cheekydeeky
VIP Dibber

Oh, and no seasickness at all, wobbly legs one night but that may have been the cocktails . A lower deck is meant to be better as less motion. We were on deck 8 though and were fine.
Old 29 Jan 14, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

We've always booked excursion through RC, I'm not sure id be happy be local tours, and what would happen if they didn't get you back on time. Cruise ships won't wait for people.

The zip line in Labadee is fantastic, I'm not great with heights but really enjoyed it.

Have a good look at what they're offering, we particularly enjoy the more extreme excursions, but these get booked up well in advance, then you're left with the sightseeing options which didn't really suit us.

Dh really enjoyed the power snorkel thing, not sure of the name of it, but it's like a small motor thing that pulls you through the water that you can dive down with. I personally don't enjoy snorkeling so it was cocktails on deck for me
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 14, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Rachy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by debs1505 View Post

Might see you there!