Cabbie
Imagineer

Cabbie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Joshie1 View Post

It includes tax.
Brilliant, thanks.

-Steve
Florida-07,08,09,10,11,12,14,16,17,19,21,23 California-06,10,11,15,23,24 Vegas 12,13,15,22 New York- 05,08,12,17,23 Washington DC-09 Boston-07,10 Hong Kong-05,16 Tokyo-05 Dubai-09,14 Jamaica-12 Abu Dhabi-18 Shanghai-18 Toronto-19 Singapore-22
Cabbie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Gav
slightly serious Dibber

The parking charge thing should just be rolled up in to the room rate, however it’s clearly being done for a psychological reason.

1. Increase Room for 14 nights by £350 (moderate) and people will notice it but might not pay too much attention.

2. Say the £350 is for parking and there is furore. People then don’t take a car and you are suddenly paying over twice as much for all of your food etc.

As much as I dislike it, I also admire the research and trickery!
Gav is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 06:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Joshie1
Imagineer

Joshie1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Gav View Post
The parking charge thing should just be rolled up in to the room rate, however it’s clearly being done for a psychological reason.

1. Increase Room for 14 nights by £350 (moderate) and people will notice it but might not pay too much attention.

2. Say the £350 is for parking and there is furore. People then don’t take a car and you are suddenly paying over twice as much for all of your food etc.

I booked in the $300 gift card window so am using that to cover parking charges and will have change left over.
I did look at staying at hotels near Disney but between transparent resort fees and parking balanced against the free dining, gift card and convenience- the Disney masterminds won out 😊
Joshie1 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 07:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I see Universal raised their prices for parking to $26.

Unusual as Disney tend to be first. Mmm, I can smell an increase in the wind.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Gav View Post

You make it sound like the Disney hotels were the first to come up with the idea of charging to park and separating the charge out from the room rate in order to discourage people from using their car.

Many hotels around the world already do this and have done for years. Some also have a daily resort fee and/or additional charges to use the wi-fi. If anything, Disney is being a bit slow to introduce these things and I'm surprised they didn't add a parking fee years ago (I'm also surprised they haven't included a resort fee as was rumoured a couple of years ago).

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
BIGDENNIS10UK
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by scojos View Post
Next step will be to ban food being taken into parks so onsite dining is necc.
We re offsite for first time in a decade as couldnt justify the cost for 2 adults with kids (nearly adults last trip) it was fab free ddp.
And ref USF hotels charging overnight thry re alot closer (no buses just a walk) and the cost is cheaper than 2 days in parking lot...
Which hotel you using?
BIGDENNIS10UK is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Gav
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
You make it sound like the Disney hotels were the first to come up with the idea of charging to park and separating the charge out from the room rate in order to discourage people from using their car.

Many hotels around the world already do this and have done for years. Some also have a daily resort fee and/or additional charges to use the wi-fi. If anything, Disney is being a bit slow to introduce these things and I'm surprised they didn't add a parking fee years ago (I'm also surprised they haven't included a resort fee as was rumoured a couple of years ago).
All I’m stating is that Disney have more to gain by using this approach now.
Gav is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
RickT
Imagineer

Wonder when Disney will take the Vegas approach and stick a resort fee on the rooms too
Las Vegas 18 - Florida 18 -Holland 18 -Bratislava 18 -Florida 17 -Holland 17 -Rhodes 17 - Kos 17 - France 16-Belgium 16-Holland 16-Germany 16-Sopot Poland 15-Kos 15-DLP SQL 15-Hampton Lakes 14-Hamburg 14- Berlin 13-WestRidge Villas 12-Krakow 12-France 11-Turkey 11-Germany 10-Marbella 10-Jamaica 09-Dublin 09-Dublin 08-Paris 08-Zante Villa 08-Egypt 2008-Rhodes 2008-Sweden 08-Norway 08-Rhodes 07- Huatulco Mexico 07-DLP Magic Circus 2007-Dublin 2007-Sweden 07-Greece 06/05/04-Barcelona 04-Rhodes 02
RickT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Dream bigger
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
There is no subsidising going on at all. Tarmac costs the same per sq yard be it in the All Stars or the Grand Floridian. Plus the car parks were always free to use.

Thus Disney made a decision to charge purely to increase their income stream. The accountants will have set the figure based on their research but have now decided that they can squeeze a bit more from those having the temerity to stay at a Value.

All of this could have been avoided if they had copied industry wide policy and either labeled it a resort fee to include WiFi etc etc or just increased the room rates.

I am constantly amazed that one of the most successful industry leads makes financial decisions that are ill thought out or if properly thought out are launched on the public in a way that creates a backlash.

Personally if I was in charge of Resorts and was instructed to increase income by X% I would have just increased the room costs. I suspect bearing in mind how many people don't have a car that $2 a night per room would generate the same income and everybody would have just assumed it was part of the annual increase.

For those who support Disney in making profit out of their assets how would they feel if they were using the Magical Express and a charge was implemented that was $15 each to be taken to a Value, $20 to a Moderate and $25 to a Deluxe.
Where is the fairness in that? Surely we are all using the same bus to the same place.

Hey ho it will only affect me for the 1st night per visit. But I do like to see a level playing field for all and month on month I am seeing people being priced out.

May I ask, why you will only have a car for the first night?

I am just wondering if it is possible to hire a car for the first day and last day to be able to drive to and from airport, but then not have a car during your stay. Is that what you are doing?
Dream bigger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicky Mouse
Apprentice Imagineer

Nicky Mouse's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by Dream bigger View Post
May I ask, why you will only have a car for the first night?

I am just wondering if it is possible to hire a car for the first day and last day to be able to drive to and from airport, but then not have a car during your stay. Is that what you are doing?
Mr Tom stays at a value first night then moves to SSR. As he has DVC, he doesn’t pay for parking there.

Happy to be corrected Mr T, I’m not stalking you, honest
Saratoga Springs 2017
Heron Villa High Grove 2017, 2018, 2023
Nicky Mouse is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List