Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 26 Jun 19, 05:44 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

I meant to say check out Crispy A’s Howdy Texas trippy for some ideas.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 06:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Universal VR
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
I meant to say check out Crispy A’s Howdy Texas trippy for some ideas.
Ooh! will do. Thank you.
Old 26 Jun 19, 08:03 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I did Houston, San Antonio, Layfayette, Baton Rouge, New Orleans. This was 16 years ago. It was good, going back to New Orleans next year and probably Dallas as well as other places.
If you like walking go to Sam Houston State Park.
San Antonio is very nice with the Riverwalk and the Alamo etc.
I’d agree with 3/4 stops max on a 2 week holiday. I’ve done many a touring holiday and that’s better with kids particularly.

Edited at 08:04 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 08:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by Universal VR View Post
I’ve heard Bourbon Street should be avoided at night?
One of the world's most famous party streets?

Why on earth would you avoid that if you visited New Orleans?

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Pino_Spetzberg View Post
Erm, almost feel silly posting this but it's a 'thing' in New Orleans to be stopped in the street and they ask you to take a bet they know where you got your shoes.
If you agree they reply yo' shoes on yo' feet!
Be very careful with this please people. A female who approached my teenage son with this "thing" then tried to lure him away towards her group of friends by pulling his arm. Fortunately we were just a couple of steps away. When we stepped in she then, with no warning, bend down and cleaned part of 1 shoe with hand gel! DH gave her $5 and told her where to go.

Friends looked a very unsavoury bunch

Ds learned a big lesson that day but it really shook him up

When we returned to New Orleans last year it was mentioned several times by him.

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21
Mary A is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
tiggertastic
Imagineer

I’ve heard Bourbon Street should be avoided at night? We found homelessness very bad in San Francisco. They constantly approached us and followed us up the road. One even asked OH for his shoes!
You will rarely see Bourbon Street quiet. Yes it will be busier at night, but I don't really remember any trouble there. Don't get reading trip advisor forums, you will miss out on so much in New Orleans! Just be aware, as you would in any city.

Try beyond burbon street podcast for some useful info on all things New Orleans to help with planning.
tiggertastic is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Universal VR
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
One of the world's most famous party streets?

Why on earth would you avoid that if you visited New Orleans?
I have a fear of drunk people. Irrational some might think but it's something I have to consider when visiting somewhere different. That said the stories I've heard are more to do with pick pockets, scamming and personal safety.
Old 26 Jun 19, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
There's a lovely little square on bourbon that plays music, has a bar and small cafe- beignets are delicious! Was a welcome relief from Bourbon itself.
We also liked crescent Moon bar

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21
Mary A is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
I have a fear of drunk people. Irrational some might think but it's something I have to consider when visiting somewhere different. That said the stories I've heard are more to do with pick pockets, scamming and personal safety.
Fair enough.

Probably says more about me than you that it would be my first port of call!

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
onion2803
Apprentice Imagineer

I've just got back from 10 days in San Antonio - we flew direct to Houston on Singapore and drove straight to SA...I wouldn't recommend this, it's a good 3-4 hour drive on the world's most boring road! Thank God we landed early in the day!

San Antonio is beautiful, we stayed in Hill Country but had a car so drove around quite a bit...we went horse riding in Bandera, to the Farmer's Market at Pearl, walked along the Riverwalk from Pearl to Downtown...they have motorised scooters in SA now so we spent a fun hour zipping about on them too.

It's so hot...I was completely unprepared for the heat and humidity!
onion2803 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List