Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 3 Jul 19, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
JudeB
Imagineer

JudeB's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Mobile Cheapest way to phone UK landline from Florida?

We are going to Florida with my parents and my mum would like to be able to give my granny a quick call a few times each week. She’s 96 so obviously no WhatsApp or FaceTime available! In pre-mobile years you used to be able to buy a phone card to call home. I wonder if they are still available and if that would be the easiest thing to do? We are staying in a villa. All our mobiles are locked to Vodafone if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance
Old 3 Jul 19, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

If you have booked privately ask the villa owner if they have free calls to uk land lines we do
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 19, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Uncle paul
Swimming at the All Star Resort

Mobile

Originally Posted by JudeB View Post
We are going to Florida with my parents and my mum would like to be able to give my granny a quick call a few times each week. She’s 96 so obviously no WhatsApp or FaceTime available! In pre-mobile years you used to be able to buy a phone card to call home. I wonder if they are still available and if that would be the easiest thing to do? We are staying in a villa. All our mobiles are locked to Vodafone if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance
Great question. I’d also like to know the answer. The last time we went was pre mobile days.
Modern tech. is brilliant but it can be a minefield for some of us 😳
Uncle paul is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 19, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
JudeB
Imagineer

JudeB's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
If you have booked privately ask the villa owner if they have free calls to uk land lines we do
The first week we are in a villa we haven’t stayed before and I have checked with the owner but they don’t do free calls to the UK. The next two weeks we are in a villa that we’ve stayed in 3 times and they do offer free calls, so that is why I didn’t have to worry about it before.
Old 3 Jul 19, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
itsmeGAV
Apprentice Imagineer

vodafone/mobile/global-roaming
Jan 24 - Family timeshare, Vacation Villages at Parkway
Mar 25 - Family timeshare, Holiday Inn Club Vacations @ Orange Lake
itsmeGAV is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 19, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
dBoardy
a Friend of the DIBB

Hi, We always use a 3 pay as you go sim card. Top up £10 and you get so many minutes and date that you can also use in the US to call UK numbers. You have said that your phone is locked to Vodafone. If you are on a contract with them then if you contact them and ask for your network unlock code they will provide it free of charge. Simply put the 3 sim in and your phone will ask for the unlock code. Enter it and the phone will no longer be locked to Vodafone.

Another alternative is Skype Out calls. You install the Skype app on your phone and top it up with credit. This allows you to call landlines via the app meaning the person you are calling does not need Skype, Whatsapp etc. You will however need to be on Wifi using this option to prevent you using mobile data which will cost.

Hope this helps,
Dave

Edited at 10:27 AM.
dBoardy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 19, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Mobile

We purchased a $10 card from Publix several years ago to call DW's Father back home. Thought that was the cheapest option still about 50 odd minutes remaining.
Old 3 Jul 19, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
JudeB
Imagineer

JudeB's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by itsmeGAV View Post
Thanks for the link. Looking at it I think it means it would cost £6 per day that we use it. (If I’m reading it right!) Not sure if that would be the cheapest way to do it if mum just wants to call gran for a couple of minutes to check how she is.
Old 3 Jul 19, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
JudeB
Imagineer

JudeB's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by dBoardy View Post
Hi, We always use a 3 pay as you go sim card. Top up £10 and you get so many minutes and date that you can also use in the US to call UK numbers. You have said that your phone is locked to Vodafone. If you are on a contract with them then if you contact them and ask for your network unlock code they will provide it free of charge. Simply put the 3 sim in and your phone will ask for the unlock code. Enter it and the phone will no longer be locked to Vodafone.

Another alternative is Skype Out calls. You install the Skype app on your phone and top it up with credit. This allows you to call landlines via the app meaning the person you are calling does not need Skype, Whatsapp etc. You will however need to be on Wifi using this option to prevent you using mobile data which will cost.

Hope this helps,
Dave
Thanks so much for these suggestions! Like the idea especially of the Skype as we will have WiFi in the villa. Will look into both ideas.
Old 3 Jul 19, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Saratoska
VIP Dibber

Saratoska's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Unlock your Vodaphone and put ina 3 sim

that is what we do

Saratoska is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List