Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 5 Jul 19, 08:13 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Are you as trusting?

I did a job for a lady yesterday who I had never met before and she left a key for me (hidden in her garden) so I could go in her house while she was at work. This isn't the first time this has happened with other customers I have never met before.

But yet some customers who have used me before won't even leave me in the house alone for a minute (some follow me into every room). Unknown to me, one woman locked me in her garden whilst she picked the kids from school (I was putting outside lights in).

I am completely comfortable if people want to trust me with their house key who I've never met because they can have hidden cameras for all I care as I am trustworthy.

I personally wouldn't leave a key for a tradesperson I've never met before, but I will leave them alone in the house once I've met them and feel comfortable with them.

Are you as trusting?
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 19, 08:18 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Sure if we have formed a relationship over time. For example our plumber who’s been doing our servicing etc for years, we left in our house to install a new boiler while we were at work.

If I’d just met someone, definitely not.
Old 5 Jul 19, 08:20 AM  
Link to this Post

I wouldn’t leave a key out for someone I have never met. But I don’t follow tradespeople around and have often left them working on something in the house whilst I go out.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 19, 08:20 AM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Mobile

If it's someone either the family or I know yes happy with that. However if it's not I'll be there to let them in and after making them a drink and showing them where the job is I'll just let them get on with it.
Old 5 Jul 19, 08:24 AM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

This is a difficult one as whilst I only use tradesmen recommended by friends/neighbours I've never had cause for them to be alone in the house. However I do have carers come in to look after my wife and when initially used an agency I didn't have a clue who was coming in and out
coggie is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 19, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

I would say someone I just met, no - but to be honest, I have kids and a dog and they need walking and conveying places. Life gets in the way, it is rare that I would have the time to stay home for a whole day say...

So I tend to make sure there is nothing of value lying about (very, very easy!), get to know them for a couple of hours, ply with plenty of tea and biccies/bacon sandwiches, then go about my business as normal.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
kylali
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I trusted someone to tile my floor and he stole from me so never again. But I do know that he is in the minority.
kylali is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I wouldn’t leave a key out for someone I have never met. But I don’t follow tradespeople around and have often left them working on something in the house whilst I go out.
^^This^^
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 19, 08:27 AM  
Link to this Post
fluffychicken
VIP Dibber

Mobile

My dad was a joiner and people would often leave him a key, one lady let him in in the morning and payed him in cash ( before he'd even started) then went to work!
fluffychicken is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 19, 08:28 AM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Mobile

I try to go on recommendations for trades people so I'm more likely to trust them more quickly. I've left someone in the house while I've been at work, and asked them to post the key back through the letter box when they finished. They have been people who I've known second hand and live local though.
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List