Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 17 Jul 19, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
geniefan
Excited about Disney

Planning to add a card to my Magic Band...

For this trip I am thinking about adding a card to my magic band to make purchases so I havent got to faff about with getting cash out of my purse (which will be on a rucksack)

But I've never done this before so wanted to ask ...

Do you add a credit card or a debit card to your magic band? And how easy is it to do?

Because if I add my credit card to it, I will spend money that way and when I return to the UK, I will just pay off my credit card with the amounting of 'spending money' I was going to be taking in cash.

Does that make sense?

Sorry if topic is a bit boring, but I've never done it before!
Old 17 Jul 19, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

first of all you need to be staying onsite, as it will be done through your hotel room charge

if you're not staying onsite, then it's not an option

if staying onsite, the cast member at check in will swipe your card.
It can be either debit or credit

a $100 hold will be put towards your card. Additionnal holds will be put if you exceed that amount

every 5 days, the balance of your room charge will be processed onto your card, and a new $100 hold will be placed

rinse and repeat

the difference between adding a debit or a credit card will be in your billing cycles.

if your billing cycle is at the end of the month, then you may be able to cover your expenses when you're home
if billing cycles happen during your trip, you will be charged accordingly

Edited at 12:06 PM.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
geniefan
Excited about Disney

Thank you.

Yes I am staying on site. I never like the idea of carrying amounts of cash (I know there is a safe in the hotel room so I won't be carrying round hundreds), but practicality wise, I think just a tap of the band might be the way to go this time.
Old 17 Jul 19, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Zellotape
Excited about Disney

Zellotape's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We really love this option, and had quite a bit of cash that was given to us as birthday/christmas gifts. So we just used the cash (every couple of days) to pay off the room balance before it was charged to the card. once the cash ran out, we just left the balance and it was then charged to my credit card the day before check out.
Its really easy to pay some of the balance off at reception at your hotel.
Old 17 Jul 19, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
You don't actually add anything to the MagicBand. Nothing is stored on the MagicBand.

Instead, you add your credit/debit card details to your room account. You do this at check-in. Doing this then allows you to charge things bought onsite to your room, just like how lots of other hotels around the world allow you to charge things to your room and pay for them later (usually when you check out). Your MagicBand is merely a quick and convenient way to identify your room and prove that you are actually staying onsite.

So, when you buy something in Disneyworld you scan your MagicBand and this means the money is charged to your room. You can then go and pay off your room account at reception when you want using whatever means you want (cash, prepaid card, gift card, credit card, etc). However, it's worth noting that as soon as you add your credit card at check-in a $100 "hold" will be put on your card. This isn't an actual payment - it merely ring-fences $100 on your card and ensures you have $100 of credit available. Every time you go above this, another $100 hold is applied (see chmurf's post above for more details). Note that these are not actual charges, so you can still pay off the account using a different method - this will then release those holds.

If you've ever stayed in a hotel in the UK or Europe and been able to charge things to your room, then it's the same process. They usually take a swipe of your credit card when you check in and put a small hold on it.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
We haven't paid with anything other than a MagicBand since our first trip after they were introduced.

We leave our room carrying nothing and without bags, and wouldn't have it any other way.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
tiger01204
Apprentice Imagineer

It's the easiest option to charge everything on to MB's and then pay it off in installments. We tend to pay it off once/twice a week depending on how much they have been used. Front desk print off a full itemised list which we find really useful too.
tiger01204 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Zellotape View Post
, we just left the balance and it was then charged to my credit card the day before check out.
Originally Posted by tiger01204 View Post
IWe tend to pay it off once/twice a week depending on how much they have been used. Front desk print off a full itemised list which we find really useful too.
please note that the system has changed

see above replies for current policy ($100 hold, billing cycles every 5 days)
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Just to make you aware, the current system is really designed for US guests or guests that do not do extended holidays, like UK guests do. So your balance will be taken every 5 days or when you hit the Hotel limit (whichever comes first) alternatively you can pay off using cash in between. The current main "sticking" point is the Holds, every time you "hit" $100, they take another $100 Hold, these Holds are released when the bill is cleared & a further Hold is taken. Now whilst Holds are not charges they are effectively money that you can't spend & some of these holds, particularly for UK banks, are taking 7-10 days to be free- Obviously not a problem if you don't "need" that money
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by Shooby doo View Post
Just to make you aware, the current system is really designed for US guests or guests that do not do extended holidays, like UK guests do. So your balance will be taken every 5 days or when you hit the Hotel limit (whichever comes first) alternatively you can pay off using cash in between. The current main "sticking" point is the Holds, every time you "hit" $100, they take another $100 Hold, these Holds are released when the bill is cleared & a further Hold is taken. Now whilst Holds are not charges they are effectively money that you can't spend & some of these holds, particularly for UK banks, are taking 7-10 days to be free- Obviously not a problem if you don't "need" that money
SD
Is that really a problem for many people?

My cards have limits that are in the region of £10-15k, so $100 is neither here nor there.

Our card is on file with Disney ahead of time (I can't recall when I last changed it in MDE) and we just let things run. We never check our total, never look to manually pay it off and just drive away without checking out, knowing they'll charge us what we owe and email us a receipt.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List