Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 24 Oct 07, 07:48 AM  
Link to this Post
grantasmic
VIP Dibber

Wild West Adventure - Cowboys and Canyons Day 4

Day 4 – 27 September : The Grand Canyon and on to Lake Powell

Sticking to our now normal routine, wake up at 0315; go to the loo; try to go back to sleep; fail; give up; make coffee!

Poor John is covered in bites - probably from some Scottsdale pool-side no-see-ums! I’m usually the one who becomes their all-you-can-eat-buffet, but so far I’ve got away with just the one bite. What a bit of luck – lurking in the bottom of the first aid kit is the tube of anti-histamine cream we bought last year in Florida!

Having decided that we’d skip breakfast until after the flight, we ventured outside to see if the local supermarket is open. Bloody hell, it’s freezing! You can actually see your breath. And to add insult to injury, nothing is open! So we headed back into the hotel and met up with Rose and Pete for a coffee while we waited for the coach.

This year, Titan is using a company, Maverick, who operate EcoStar helicopters. Pete is somewhat apprehensive and keeps asking me if the helicopter goes fast, does tight turns, etc. I try to reassure him that none of these pilots are going to do anything to put any of their customers off – the name of the game is that everyone enjoys the flight and spreads the word! Our pilot, Duane, introduced himself, led us out to the aircraft where we had the obligatory photo and went through the pre-flight spiel. New FAA regulations have been introduced which mean we all have to wear a life vest! I guess that as we’re flying over forest and canyon, the FAA anticipates that any crash will end up in the Colorado River! Duane handed us our life vest packs and demonstrated how to put them on (bit like a 'fanny pack') and what to do in the event. He then told us a little about the aircraft, apologised that it was French built , and allocated our seats. As soon as we were belted in and had our headphones on, he closed the doors, climbed in, started the rotors and very soon after we rose slowly upwards and headed off towards the Canyon. He told us that there were two cameras on board, one facing front, which could film straight ahead and also be rotated to film either side, and one facing into the cabin. We would have an opportunity to purchase the DVD of our flight and this would also contain all conversations between us via the headsets! Better keep very quiet then!

The flight this time took a completely different route from the flight I did in 2005, so I got to see a whole lot more of the Canyon. It was every bit as spectacular and Duane kept up a commentary of facts and figures. Knowing that I’d be buying the DVD, I decided not to take too many photos this time and just enjoy the experience.

Duane pointed out the Colorado River way below us.

The water levels are pretty low at the moment and it was barely visible against the red-brown rocks. He also pointed out a flat top rock structure in front of us – and to help give us some perspective announced that the top is, in fact, one mile long!

All too soon we were heading back to the airport and Duane put the aircraft down as gently as laying a baby back in its cot! He led us back to the terminal building and left us to buy our photos and arrange to have the DVD shipped home to us in some 3 – 4 weeks time. We boarded the coach and talked about the flight while we waited for the others to return. Just then, one of the Maverick staff came on board and called out our names and gave us our DVDs! How’s that for service!

Once the remaining Titans were all aboard, we headed back to the hotel to pick up the non-fliers and then headed up to the Bright Angel Lodge at the South Rim of the Canyon. We had a chance to grab a coffee and what was meant to be a Cinnamon roll, but was more like a rock cake, but at least it filled the hole left by missing breakfast! Then we walked out onto the viewpoints and took loads of photos. We went on down to the Look Out Station and John walked down the rock cut steps, but it made me feel quite dizzy! He managed to get some film of a Californian condor soaring over the Canyon – beautiful! We also saw loads of these ...

From here we took a short drive to the Desert View Tower and the views from here were just breathtaking. There was also an opportunity to visit the supermarket here to stock up on some supplies – water, yoghurts, fruit, and another tube of anti-histamine! We wandered over to the tower and Mr Front-of-the-queue was there already filming away! I swear that camcorder is stapled to his hand! Left them to it and climbed the steps up the tower and took even more pictures. There are just no words to describe the views! And no photos or movie could ever do it justice. I have to agree with Dana – the best way to see the Canyon is to find a place where you can be all by yourself, away from all the tourists and their cameras, and just sit in silence to take it all in. It is quite a humbling experience to see something so magnificent.

After a brief stop in the inevitable gift shop (yes, we did!) we were back on the coach and heading for Cameron. The road away from the Canyon gives the most incredible views at each twist and turn – there are canyons within canyons and it’s almost too much to take in! And there’s not a lot between the edge of the road and the edge of the Canyon in lots of places.

We were then on the road for a good hour or so travelling through the most incredible scenery, ranging from towering mountains to desert. There are several Indian settlements dotted about throughout the route, but they’re very ramshackle and tatty. And of course there are the roadside stalls where they peddle their jewellery!

Arriving at the Cameron Trading Post, Dana allowed us an hour and a half stop here as several people wanted to grab a late lunch. But as it was now almost 1500, we decided against a full sit down meal and instead settled for a sandwich and Coke from the mini-market. The temperature has now risen considerably and it’s very hot, inside and out! We found a convenient wall in the shade and sat there to consume our lunch – it wasn’t up to much!

It was finally time to get back on the bus and we were now heading towards Lake Powell. The landscape soon changed again and it was as though we were on the moon or a set from a Star Wars movie! Then it changed again and we were back in canyon land with the most amazingly sculpted creations. It is so hard to believe that something so utterly beautiful was created by wind and water erosion – everything is so perfect it’s almost as though each rock has been hand carved and the landscape has been put together ‘just so’ for us all to marvel at.

We’re now crossing the bridge of the Glen Canyon dam – the second largest dam after the Hoover Dam. It’s also a much younger dam. There is a visitor centre here, which Dana says has higher security screening than any airport! You cannot take any bag of any description inside, although you can take a camera. We’ll have a chance to visit here on Saturday morning. On then to the Lake Powell Resort – there's a fee to get in! The hotel is spread out over a huge area and there are a number of two-storey blocks. Dana told us that we were in one of the newer blocks – built only 2 years ago. Well, they’ve taken a bit of a pounding in those 2 years! The loo roll holder is hanging off the wall, as is one of the electric sockets in the bedroom! The air-con unit is very noisy, but at least it’s efficient! There’s no lift and the corridors are very, very hot! But – the views out over the lake are worth it and the sunset was stunning.

It was a good job we’d managed to phone the restaurant and get a dinner reservation, as it was already quite busy with people queuing. We were soon seated and apart from Pete who chose the NY strip steak, we all had the prime rib of beef. Having been awake since 0315, we decided to call it a day and, leaving Rose and Pete to have another drink, we strolled back to our room. John was in bed and asleep before 2100! I made a coffee, fired up the lappie and made a start on today’s events. Before long, though, I could feel my eyelids closing, so packed up and drifted off to sleep! Will it be another early morning? Stay tuned ...

Our 'Right Down the Middle of Main Street, USA' 2006 Visit
Wild West Adventure - Cowboys and Canyons 2007
We should have gone home years ago!

grantasmic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 07, 08:16 AM  
Link to this Post

Another brillant report with lovely photos.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 07, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post

Lovely photos
Old 24 Oct 07, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Iloveflorida
Imagineer

Lovely photos nice to see something different.
Old 24 Oct 07, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post

Stunning pics... you've sold this holiday to me already... I defintely want to do this tour
Old 24 Oct 07, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
grantasmic
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Scotsmomma View Post
Stunning pics... you've sold this holiday to me already... I defintely want to do this tour
Maybe Titan would pay commission for each Dibber I manage to recruit

We thoroughly enjoyed it, and the California trip we did with them in 2005, and are already thinking about which of their tours we can do next - but that won't be til 2009! Going 'home' next year

Our 'Right Down the Middle of Main Street, USA' 2006 Visit
Wild West Adventure - Cowboys and Canyons 2007
We should have gone home years ago!

grantasmic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 07, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
highlander447
Imagineer

highlander447's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 18
A great day
highlander447 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 07, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Strommie
Imagineer

Strommie's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Amazing photos.
Old 25 Oct 07, 11:26 PM  
Link to this Post
purple myra
Imagineer

purple myra's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
another great day and great photos
purple myra is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 07, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
jheaton
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Hi there

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your trip reports which have come at the right time as I've just booked a Virgin fly-drive covering a large part of your trip-so its been a great help for planning!

I'm looking to book the maverick heicopter tour-would you mind telling me how much the DVD/photo packages are?
1995 OKW/1997 Villa/ Gulf /2000 Villa/Rotunda /2002 Villa/Rotunda/2004 Southern Dunes/ AMI/2006 West Stonebridge/2007 Bradenton/2009 Sandy Ridge/2011Sandy Ridge/ AMI /2012SSR/2012Esprit/2013 SSR/2013 2wks AMI/2014 AMI/2015 OKW/2015 AMI/2016 AMI/ Bonita Springs/2017 2weeks Bellavida/2018 AMI/2019 Bonita Springs and Universal/2022 Gulf Coast Hurricane Ian/2023POFQ
jheaton is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List