Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 3 Sep 19, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

The Highlands Fling. Travel Day

Travel Day

We all had a restless night even though the bed was comfy and room temperature good. I got up just before the alarm went off at 5am. I made a cup of tea for me and Beth - Paul said he would have one after as there were only 2 cups.

We had parked the car for our hotel stay with The Radisson but for the holiday we had booked Terminal 2 Multi-storey West. We had got a voucher for 20% off. When the transaction went through it didn’t take the discount off but a quick email soon sorted it out. Me and Paul had showers and got ready then went to move the car leaving Beth to sort herself out. We took a bag of dirty clothes from the day before. It seemed quite a way thinking of the walk back and we saw a kafuffle at the entrance to the East car park as there were loads of cars backed up trying to reverse and a woman in a BMW was managing to reverse over a traffic cone. When we got to our car park it was quite busy and the first 3 levels we came to were saying they were full. Level 4 said the same but I could see some spaces over the far side so we parked there. There were loads and loads of empty disabled spaces.

There was a shortcut walk to the terminal so it only took about 10 minutes to get back to the Radisson.

We went down to breakfast which we had booked when we checked in for £12 each which was really worth it. There were only a few tables taken so we chose a booth. There was a lovely buffet and you could also choose from a menu in addition. I had a small cooked breakfast then pancakes from the menu but couldn’t finish them. Paul had 2 cooked breakfasts and a croissant and Beth had a cooked breakfast, fruit and a croissant.

Paul’s 2 breakfasts!

My breakfasts

Beth’s fruit

We got our hand luggage from the room, checked out and walked the short distance on the travelator to Terminal 2. Just at the Terminal Paul realised he had left his sunglasses in the car. Because we had already checked in the night before and had breakfast we hadn’t got that much time to spare. We decided that Paul should get the sunnies and me and Beth would wait about 15 minutes and if he was not back then to go through security and he was to catch us up. I reminded Paul of the directions as he is not very good with them and off he went. About 2 minutes later he was back saying he couldn’t remember the way so decided just to get some more. We went through a short security line where Beth got held up for extra searches as she had her hair straighteners still in her bag. My GHD’s were in the hold suitcase but for the morning I had had my small travel ones which I had taken out of the hand luggage. After all getting through (why can’t people put their trays away ! ) I popped to WH Smith to get some water and trashy magazines and we had a look at the Duty Free as I wanted some perfume. I had had a sample of Beautiful Belle from Ester Lauder which I really liked so went to get that but the sales assistant said there was a new version of it which really confused me but I ended up sticking with the original. It was £79 but as we were walking through a woman was giving a voucher out with £5 off purchases of £75 or more so I had it for £74 for 100ml.

We sat in the Terminal for a while then decided to have a drink in the Spinning Jenny. I had a peroni, Beth a coke and Paul a coffee for just over £12.

At that point Paul suggested that he ‘nipped back through security’ to get his sunglasses. After me and Beth had finished laughing he said that loads of people probably forget things so go back to get them.

He still can’t see anything wrong with it! The gate was called - 210 which was right by us so we gathered our stuff and moved there. Our plane was Forever Young which I googled as I had not heard of it and found it was the renamed English Rose which had its name changed in memory of an employee Marcus Young.

Me and Beth went to the loo then about 20 minutes later rows were starting to be called. Paul decided to go to the loo and then they called the bubble to board and Paul was nowhere to be seen! He eventually sauntered over with me and Beth giving him death stares lol.

We boarded and got to our seats 75HJK. They were fab - so much leg room and my seat by the window was wide enough for me. We had to put our small cases in the cupboard at the back but I could put my large handbag in the side locker. Where you plugged your headphones in stuck out so no problems sticking into thighs.

We had a nice little chat with the air stewardess during take off - she was planning on taking her little boy to WDW and was asking if we had ever stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge. We stayed there last trip so were telling her about it.

After take off the drinks service came round. We were first served after premium economy. I asked for a g & t and were given 2 - not had that gin before but it was very nice.

Beth had 2 cokes and Paul asked for a cup of tea which the stewardess said she would sort out. A few minutes later she turned up with tea in one of the proper china mugs from Premium Economy.

The journey actually seemed to go quite quickly and I only managed to watch one film - The Crimes of Grindelwald which I enjoyed. Beth had her drink on Paul’s tray which I managed to knock all over him whilst leaning over to change the flight map view - oops.

We had our first choices for our meals for once, me and Paul had the chicken and Beth had the macaroni. No one really ate the salad. A strawberry smoothie solero later on which was full size and very nice then the afternoon tea about 2 hours before landing.

Just noticed you can see the slippers I acquired from The Radisson. My feet did get colder later so I put my Sketchers on. It felt relaxed enough in the bubble to be able to wear them.

We all enjoyed the roll and Beth had Paul’s scone as he doesn’t eat sweet things (weirdo).

Not long after afternoon tea the entertainment system went off as it was rebooted due to someone’s not working properly then the captain was advised to turn it off completely- it was not a problem though and we had downloaded things to our phones.

We landed and were let off the plane before economy downstairs and went to am empty customs hall. We were through in about 10 minutes but then had to wait about 40 for the luggage to come through as it was announced there was a problem. Even though there are loads of signs and announcements, a guy waiting by us was messing about with his phone which then got Paul saying he was going to use his. But then a security guy came over and told the guy off quite harshly - quite right too. We all went to the loo whilst we were waiting and generally hung about getting bored. The belt eventually started and a family pushed their way to the front right by us which is fair enough if it was just the dad but he brought all his small children with him even though the mum was stood a few feet back watching. There was one boy about 4 who was running his fingers on the belt and I was petrified he would get them trapped - the dad was taking no notice and the mum was just watching him! There was another bigger boy and girl and they touched virtually every case that same along! Eventually the mum told them off but they were still too close to the belt. I saw our big case coming and as Paul was trying to wrestle it off the belt I had to tell the smaller boy to mind he didn’t get hurt and the mum finally moved him. If he had been smacked in the head with the case it would have been completely his fault but I don’t think the parents would have thought that way.

We had our first ride of the holiday on the airport monorail and were soon at the Dollar car hire desk which was virtually the furthest one away. The guy on the desk tried a few hard sells but we weren’t having any of it. We had the choice to return full or empty - we asked the price they charged and it seemed fair so agreed to return empty (the cost was a little higher than the fuel station by our villa but not by much). We weren’t really sure which way was best. We had pre-ordered the Visitors Toll Pass and picked that up from a lady at a little stand - glad we did as we went through a few tolls on the way to the villa and we hadn’t got around to getting any cash. We went across the road to pick our mid size suv, any from row 2. Paul picked one but it had a tiny boot and we weren’t in the mood to play luggage jenga so we got another one which was a Chevrolet Equinox. Paul put the air con on as it was hot hot hot and we sat for a few minutes whilst he got settled and familiarised himself with the controls. When I got in the car the front seat was pushed too far forward and I could get in so Paul sorted the lever to push it back. His seat wasn’t in the correct position but there was no lever. After a few strong words I looked in the manual and discovered it was an electric seat so there was a button on the side. All sorted and we were off using the guide the villa owners had sent us. We had a little mishap with a turning but we turned round on.

We are staying in a villa at Highlands Reserve and it’s right by Berry Town Centre so we called at Publix to get some cash and essentials such as milk, water, Cheetos, coke and wine. We also got a baguette, potato salad and fried chicken. Total cost was just over $35. We found the villa easily using the suggested shortcut and unpacked. The packing cubes made the job so much easier. We had some pool time and some food and drink and went to bed. The villa looked lovely apart from the step ladder needed to get into bed!

Tomorrow we are off to Magic Kingdom.

Edited at 09:57 PM.
ChoppyGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 19, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Shkyler
Apprentice Imagineer

So exciting we have our villa booked in Highlands reserve too for next year, higher Combe drive, following with interest!
Shkyler is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 19, 07:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Jockey
Imagineer

Great travel day!
Old 8 Sep 19, 02:26 AM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Shkyler View Post
So exciting we have our villa booked in Highlands reserve too for next year, higher Combe drive, following with interest!
We are in Blackheath Court and have walked to Applebee’s a couple of times- really handy
2014 Saratoga Springs Resort
2017 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2019 Highlands Reserve/Grand Plaza/Boardwalk Villa
2023 Vero Beach/Portofino Bay/Coronado Springs Club level

2024 Wilderness Lodge/Grand Floridian
2025 Disneyland Hotel DLP
ChoppyGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Excitedx4
Imagineer

Excitedx4's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Nice easy travel day!
Excitedx4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 20, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
MickeyMoose
Excited about Disney

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
Good effort on those breakfasts
MickeyMoose is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 20, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Palm trees
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Sounds like a great travel day
Palm trees is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List