Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 24 Mar 19, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
langside
Very Serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 54
Dubai - questions on where to stay, ramadan and average cost of meal

Hoping some people can give some guidance seen some cheap deals for May but aware this is probably due to Ramadan occurring.
I’ve read a few things and aware of not eating/ drinking in public areas and that some things like attractions and restaurants will be shut during the day or at least have blinds down but just wondering if anyone has experience of going during this time - did you find it difficult/ affect your time (most worried about drinking enough fluids due to the heat - I’m a northerner after all so anything over 15C is balmy . )

2nd question what area should I be looking at staying - a lot of my searches were coming up with good deals for Dubai creek but not sure if this is the best base (only going for 4 or 5 days)

And final question is - how expensive is food etc - quite a few hotels offer half board/ full board - normally I wouldn’t consider this but a friend said they paid £40 each for a burger and fries meal when they had a day stop over on the way to AUS so paying for a board basis might be good value?

Any help/ advise appreciated ( should add this is going to be a solo trip - I’m female and just short of 30 in in case this helps with any tips )
langside is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 19, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post
mazworld15
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by langside View Post
Hoping some people can give some guidance seen some cheap deals for May but aware this is probably due to Ramadan occurring.
I’ve read a few things and aware of not eating/ drinking in public areas and that some things like attractions and restaurants will be shut during the day or at least have blinds down but just wondering if anyone has experience of going during this time - did you find it difficult/ affect your time (most worried about drinking enough fluids due to the heat - I’m a northerner after all so anything over 15C is balmy . )

2nd question what area should I be looking at staying - a lot of my searches were coming up with good deals for Dubai creek but not sure if this is the best base (only going for 4 or 5 days)

And final question is - how expensive is food etc - quite a few hotels offer half board/ full board - normally I wouldn’t consider this but a friend said they paid £40 each for a burger and fries meal when they had a day stop over on the way to AUS so paying for a board basis might be good value?

Any help/ advise appreciated ( should add this is going to be a solo trip - I’m female and just short of 30 in in case this helps with any tips )
Only been once but we stayed at Sheraton Dubai Creek , it was fab! If you paid a bit extra for club access (and a creek view room was beautiful) you get access to the club lounge, all day for breakfast tea soft drinks etc , high tea every day, but the main draw was the 2 hour free bar and canapes every night, literally saved us 100s, as much alchahol as you wanted, fabulous service and staff and lots of nibbles, so much so we didn't bother with a meal 2 of the nights! Felt very safe so might be an idea if on your own, have a look at the reviews and have a fab time xx
mazworld15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 19, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
langside
Very Serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 54
Originally Posted by mazworld15 View Post
Only been once but we stayed at Sheraton Dubai Creek , it was fab! If you paid a bit extra for club access (and a creek view room was beautiful) you get access to the club lounge, all day for breakfast tea soft drinks etc , high tea every day, but the main draw was the 2 hour free bar and canapes every night, literally saved us 100s, as much alchahol as you wanted, fabulous service and staff and lots of nibbles, so much so we didn't bother with a meal 2 of the nights! Felt very safe so might be an idea if on your own, have a look at the reviews and have a fab time xx
Thank you the Sheraton Dubai Creek is one that was short listed too so great to hear a good review - can I ask how easy it was to get around from there (ie to the mall for example?)
langside is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 19, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

We have stayed twice at Jumeriah Creekside (the cheapest Jumeriah hotel!). We stayed in a club room which I would recommend wherever you stay as you can save so much!

I did a trip report on the second trip (in my signature)!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 19, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
mazworld15
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by langside View Post
Thank you the Sheraton Dubai Creek is one that was short listed too so great to hear a good review - can I ask how easy it was to get around from there (ie to the mall for example?)
Taxis were cheap (we got one to the new Warner Bros theme park in Abu Dabai was about £60 I think) hotel will get you a car but taxis a little bit cheaper, the Mall was a huge letdown for us unless your used to spending lots of money on Chanel etc wouldn't bother, my son (21) said it was like a rubbish Trafford Centre lol x
mazworld15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 19, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
joanna23
Imagineer

joanna23's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
Mobile

We stayed in Ramadan in Westin Mina Seyhai. It was amazing. There were not alterations in our hotel and all food drink served as normal.

We did notice one day when we went out to the Mall at little too early the impact it does have on the restaurants. We tended to stay by the pool/beach all day and then go out at around 7.30pm.
August 2006 RPR & Rosen Plaza; August 2008 RPR & Regal Sun; August 2009 RPR & Buena Vista Palace; July/August 2010 RPR & SSR; July/August 2011 & 2012 Loews Miami Beach, RPR & SSR; 2013 SSR & RPR: 2014 Rosen Plaza, SSR & RPR; 2015 Renaissance, RPR & SSR;2016 Cabana Bay, SSR & RPR; 2018 CB, Portofino, SSR 2019 St Petes, Renaissance & SSR
joanna23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 19, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
We have stayed twice at Jumeriah Creekside (the cheapest Jumeriah hotel!). We stayed in a club room which I would recommend wherever you stay as you can save so much!

I did a trip report on the second trip (in my signature)!
Ramadan actually improves Club at jumeriah as happy hour is an hour later each night
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 19, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Geordieprincess
Apprentice Imagineer

We’ve been twice and stayed Atlantis the Palm first time and Grand Hyatt at the creek the second time (for a fraction of the price).
Loved both hotels but actually preferred the creek location for getting around. Taxis are super cheap. Food is very expensive in the hotels but can be as cheap as home in the food courts in the malls and even the Cheesecake Factory wasn’t bad (£70 for family of 4). Think about what you plan to do in the evenings (stay in hotel or go out sightseeing) as we found the half board too restrictive as we wanted to go out in the evenings.
I did a couple of mini trippies below:

5 nights in Dubai, April 2017
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1104715

Halloween in Dubai, October 2018
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1106980
Geordieprincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 19, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

We've stayed at The Atlantis during Ramadanin 2016, we chose it for that purpose, it was half board and a couples only trip so we wanted somewhere where we knew we'd be happy just being around the hotel for our 5 days.

Drinks with our dinner were extortionate, a bottle of water was around £7, I don't know food prices as we didn't need them, the half board and Club early evening snacks were more than enough for us.

We made the most of the pool, water park and aquarium while we were there, the air-conditioning was fierce, and the staff came round the pool with iced flannels which were gorgeous in the heat.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 19, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Bads
Trying for More Ears

I previously lived in Dubai for nearly 7 years, during Ramadan the restaurants and coffee shops in the malls will either close, or a few places will have black curtains up around them that means you can eat/drink behind these, it will be very quiet during the day
I would say that if you confine yourself to your hotel during the day you will be OK drinking in the hotel and round the pool as long as you are considerate of any people that are fasting around you. Its generally frowned upon to eat/drink in public places during ramadan. Going out after sunset for to eat /drink in shopping malls etc. bear in mind its likely to be mad busy as the locals will be out breaking fast at this time also.

Food costs in mall restaurants and coffee shops are comparable with London costs. In hotels food costs are higher. Its the alcohol that pushes up cost of eating out generally, so if you can avoid this you will save money.
Bads is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List