Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 May 20, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
mexico07
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by 2point View Post
We've got it.

I did it myself, the base I constructed from C16 treated timber (lasts about 30 years without further treatment). To level/get correct fall I used plastic decking supports, you just screw/twist them to the correct height - job done.

An absolute breeze to put down, it's been down 2 years and all I've had to do is brush it and give it a light jet wash (don't go super heavy on it as like any material a jet wash can destroy/eat it in seconds).

Can't see any cons so far. Doesn't seem to get all green and slippy like some decking can.
Hi we are in the process of redoing ours just now , just cleared all the old deck and framing and decided on composite this time but still going with the timber frame , trying to find the easiest way to do it as my husband is doing it himself , we have looked at the pedestal supports and thought they were a great idea but my husband read that they need to go on concrete or a completely flat surface , can you tell me what you put them on please ?xxx
mexico07 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 20, 11:56 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mexico07 View Post
Hi we are in the process of redoing ours just now , just cleared all the old deck and framing and decided on composite this time but still going with the timber frame , trying to find the easiest way to do it as my husband is doing it himself , we have looked at the pedestal supports and thought they were a great idea but my husband read that they need to go on concrete or a completely flat surface , can you tell me what you put them on please ?xxx
I used them for 3 areas.

First was decking over the top of existing slabs - so just straight on the top.

Second was decking over the top of a lifted lawn, I used 1ft square slabs layed over sand.

Third was for the framing and floor of a 4m x 4m log cabin. I relocated a number of 3ft x 2ft 'council slabs' (70kg each) into a grid pattern, layed over sand. Each slab had 2 supports on.

The slabs were level but not to a micro amount, there is a fair amount of leeway when using those plastic supports. Some of the more expensive supports are self levelling. As you space them out over the length of the beams any slight variations of level are very easy to correct by screwing them up on down. You don't have to get the slabs absolutely level, just close enough.
2point is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 20, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

We have composite deckI got in our garden. It’s great! We have had it for over 3 years and so far looks good as new. No fading at all. The only maintenance it needs is a good jet wash with a little scrub after winter and of course it is more expensive but so worth it!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 20, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Cutiepie
Imagineer

We are in the process of getting a composite deck as we didn't want any maintenance. Just waiting on a date for it to be fitted
Cutiepie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 20, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
As a Carpenter by trade I would always recommend composite over timber for external work.

Years ago you could get well preserved seasoned timber. Sadly those days are long gone and the pressure impregnated stuff they sell now is ok but nowhere near as good as it was.

Composite delivers two big wins. Maintenance reduction and more durable. Job done.
Depends on what type of timber to be fair. DH is in "timber" and he manufactures fencing, decking, any outdoor timber. He uses larch, sometimes douglas fir, then pressure treats it. Lasts for years and is good quality. If using for walking on I'd put a treatment on that stops is getting slippy. The timber you see in the garden centres and cheap homeware shops is terrible stuff. I was in a shop yesterday and saw wooden panels which were so thin. The posts they had were shoddy at best and twice the price of us.

There's some good composite out there if that's the look you want. Totally different look from timber.
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 20, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post
myaquarium
Imagineer

Built our composite decks las year. One was built on composite joists directly on top of patio. the other on 4x2 timber. Laid on some old flags and gravel.
The old deck was lifted after 15 years of use and no sign of rodents. They tend to live under sheds or holes in the ground.

Also building composite gates as we speak

Edited at 11:36 AM.
myaquarium is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List