Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 1 Dec 20, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
We are just back from buying some floor tiles but my Wife wanted some new pillows

Retail Park near us:-

Dunelm massive store - pillows bought
Mothercare next door - massive store. Empty
Argos further along - huge. Closed

Whats left there
Aldi - trading well
Cancer Research - busy
Iceland - busy
TK Max - busy

The changing face of retail parks

I cannot see the old Argos and Mothercare shops being let as they are too big. I can see Cancer Research being replaced by Dunelm and the other part of the Park being demolished and Flats built.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
We are just back from buying some floor tiles but my Wife wanted some new pillows

Retail Park near us:-

Dunelm massive store - pillows bought
Mothercare next door - massive store. Empty
Argos further along - huge. Closed

Whats left there
Aldi - trading well
Cancer Research - busy
Iceland - busy
TK Max - busy

The changing face of retil parks

I cannot see the old Argos and Mothercare shops being let as they are too big. I can see Cancer Research being replaced by Dunelm and the other part of the Park being demolished and Flats built.
I can’t see Argos round here opening back up, most seem to just be trading out sainsburys now.
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Scaramouche View Post
I can’t see Argos round here opening back up, most seem to just be trading out sainsburys now.
That's exactly what happened by us. That huge one closed, Sainsbury's did a refurb and closed their delicatessen and slotted Argos in to the spare space.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
We have 3 Argos stores with in 2 miles one on saint Stevens street cente of Norwich know closed permanently the one on Carrow industrial estate open for pay online ect there also one in Sainsbury’s which is out the city in thope which is still open. The city is dead apart from 5 coffee shops 7 betting shops one adult arcade fruit machines there a massive prime mark there 5 Tesco’s metros one large Tesco one Sainsbury’s one Sainsbury’s metro 2 malls and not a lot else.
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
laura
Imagineer

My son was one of the ones who were made redundant from Debenhams during first lockdown after 7 years with them.

The thing there was because they where in administration he did not receive redundancy, holiday or notice pay from them, he had to claim from government that deals with this, he lost money as they will only pay so much and it took ages.

I genuinely feel for the people who work for them, most of these people are the main wage earner in their home, my son isn’t so I would say he was more fortunate than most.

He also graduated during lockdown and he has been lucky now to have employment.

I work in retail in one of the stores mentioned and we are at this time doing well, however if all these other stores close then no doubt our store may go as we are in a shopping centre which sadly has lots of empty units and Debenhams is the flagship store in it.

No one knows what is going to happen in this uncertain world but I do wish everyone well.
Old 1 Dec 20, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

So does going inti liquidation mean all the stores will close? Or could they still be bought out?
I feel so sorry for the people who will loose their jobs. Just before this second lockdown I was in looking at the Christmas gift section, to be honest it was all ridiculously priced. One lady picked up a large lindt ball £15 and shook her head and saying very loudly that it was only £10 in tesco.
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
There is another aspect to all the mass redundancy that have been announced recently, it is going to have a disproportionate affect on women in the workplace. We had 800 from Greg’s I would expect there to be more women than men losing their jobs. We are talking about low paid jobs that these women need to help keep a roof over their heads and food on the table.
Mazbar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mazbar View Post
There is another aspect to all the mass redundancy that have been announced recently, it is going to have a disproportionate affect on women in the workplace. We had 800 from Greg’s I would expect there to be more women than men losing their jobs. We are talking about low paid jobs that these women need to help keep a roof over their heads and food on the table.
It is statistically correct that most low paid retail jobs are staffed by women and not men.

However that doesn;t make this sexist or any other form of "ism"; it's just harsh reality of life, when a business folds it is always the employees who are hardest hit.

When Lehman's went under (which was predominately staffed by rich white men) there was not the same outpouring of support on this forum. Despite all the same "facts" being there
  1. It did have a biased effect on one cultural group
  2. Those people needed the money to help keep a roof over heads and food on table

All job losses are sad, let's not try to create a hierarchy of worthiness and suffering
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
myaquarium
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
This is not true, certainly in my case.

I would MUCH rather visit a store but with Covid many have been closed March so I have been forced to shop online. Then when they re-opened before last lockdown JL (Peter Jones) insisted on having a virtual line t get into their store an I wasnt going to do that so I had to shop, again, online. The stores have been slow to adapt and shoppers patience thin - I would love to shop local (infact I ordered my bed and bedroom furniture local to me in Clapham) but I am looking for a new settee online as I dont have an alternative but it certainly has probably cost me a “pound or 2” more ...

Debanhams didnt adapt to change - M&S and JL are not recognising what is happening and are too slow to adapt so I feel will move online at best or disappear all together...
I’m not blaming you I’m saying it’s because of everyone changing their shopping habits encouraged by online companies who have less overheads.
The more companies adopt online sales the quicker the push to close down their shops. They won’t need them anymore. I don’t want them to close. I want us to shop in them. it’s pointless us all saying isn’t it a shame that all the high street and shopping areas are closing and becoming rows upon rows of coffee shops ,charity shops and betting shops when we as a collective group are not shopping there anymore.
Habits are changing, it’s a bad thing in my eyes, but that’s what the consumer wants. Reality shopping which leads to more waste and thousands of diesel vans delivering goods which much of will be returned when it does not fit.

Edited at 02:47 PM.
myaquarium is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
I hate Harrow shopping centre and I haven't been there for maybe 15 years and it's only 10 minutes from Ruislip Manor on the Met line.

I won't miss Debenhams but if it goes I will obviously feel for the staff. They even put a costa in the one in Uxbridge and its the biggest unit in the new shopping centre there (Debenhams not costa) so that will be a blow as intu shopping centres were in financial trouble even before the pandemic.
It has sentimental value, when I was about 5 I walked off outside Soapers (now Debenhams) when my mum found me she slapped me! Harrow isn’t the best but it was mine and my sisters shopping Friday fun. We mooched around and had lunch out, westfield is better but I won’t go till the virus has bogged off! Btw when my son got lost in Sainsburys I hugged him and kissed him when I found him!