Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 4 Nov 20, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
whlparkstone
Imagineer

Donating blood/platelets

Dh and I were regular donators up until about 18 months ago. I guess we got wrapped up in life and the time skipped by.

Well last week I gave blood and hubby platelets.

Please, if you are able to, please make a donation. I was surprised when I called to make the appointments and they could get us an appointment the following day.

I know they are keen to receive donations of platelets particularly from men who have suffered from Covid-but I am sure that every donation makes a difference.

I found that my donation station were practicing high levels of covid safety.

I know that not everyone can, or feels comfortable donating, but if you are able to then please make that phone call 💜

Edited at 11:44 AM.
whlparkstone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 20, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Ciano
Imagineer

Ciano's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
As someone who has recieved blood before and will need to in the future can I just say thank you so much for taking the time to do that. For me I was completely exhausted, I couldn't climb the stairs at 42 yrs of age without having to stop and be out of breath. 2 hours later I felt 100 times better thanks to someone like you who selflessly took time out of their busy life to help a stranger x
Old 4 Nov 20, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
disney1st timer
Imagineer

Mobile

I give blood every 4 months and I echo what you have to say. I have been donating for 12 years, some years not as much as others but I always do whilst I can. I’ve given twice in lockdown and they are really keeping it safe to carry on so please do if you can.
2018 - Villa in Davenport
2022 - Blue Tree Resort
disney1st timer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 20, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
the_weird_one
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

I'm registered as both a platelet and plasma donor but they prefer taking full blood from me as I'm O+ and suitable for neonatal use, and made my 50th donation at my last session.

Have found that getting an appointment near me though is near impossible; recommending me to go to the fixed centre in the city rather than my local session.

But I do agree that if you can you really should, it makes such a big difference to so many people for not a lot of your time if you can.
the_weird_one is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 20, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

I went to donate plasma for covid patients. At my appointment time, we were all ladies (I think there was about 6 of us) and not had veins suitable to donate. Apparently you have to have really 'juicy' veins close to the surface and its more likely that men have this than women. That is what I was told by the technicians working there anyhow.
marypoppins38 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 20, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
whlparkstone
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
I went to donate plasma for covid patients. At my appointment time, we were all ladies (I think there was about 6 of us) and not had veins suitable to donate. Apparently you have to have really 'juicy' veins close to the surface and its more likely that men have this than women. That is what I was told by the technicians working there anyhow.
Yes I do believe that is to be true. I wanted to donate platelets years ago but they said that my veins were not robust enough. I guess it generally more common for men to be more suitable for the platelet donation.
Old 4 Nov 20, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Twinkle-Dolphin
Apprentice Imagineer

My husband booked his appt for next week
Old 4 Nov 20, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
LexiBantam
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Such a coincidence that you post this today - I gave blood yesterday, and when I was looking to book my next appointment, I started thinking about platelets. I’ve been put off in the past because of the length of time it takes, (more having to go to a city center, rather than the actual donation) but given that I don’t exactly have a full diary at the moment, I should be able to find time! How did your husband feel after? I always feel fine after a regular donation, but wondered if you might feel a bit more drained after such a long session? (Thinking about the drive home) Xx
LexiBantam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 20, 02:40 PM  
Link to this Post
whlparkstone
Imagineer

Originally Posted by LexiBantam View Post
Such a coincidence that you post this today - I gave blood yesterday, and when I was looking to book my next appointment, I started thinking about platelets. I’ve been put off in the past because of the length of time it takes, (more having to go to a city center, rather than the actual donation) but given that I don’t exactly have a full diary at the moment, I should be able to find time! How did your husband feel after? I always feel fine after a regular donation, but wondered if you might feel a bit more drained after such a long session? (Thinking about the drive home) Xx
Fantasy news about your blood donation. My husband used to feel a little bit lethargic after his platelet donation which is understandable. He had issues because he started donating every other week. He did this for about a year and he started to feel drained. I think he over did it! So he has decided this time around to maybe stick to every 6 weeks or so.

I think the nurses will probably take a loot at your veins and maybe take a sample, before they decide if they can take your platelets. Buts it's Fantastic that you are considering this.
Old 4 Nov 20, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Cinderellas
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

To all of you, thank you for donating blood and especially platelets. My husband has had countless transfusions and wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for lovely people like you ❤️
Cinderellas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List