Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Nov 20, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Do Universities look at GCSE result on applications

as above in the event of student a and student b having the required A level results , would they then look how they performed at GSCE ?

my Y11 daughters mocks arent going well* & she is in meltdown about not getting good GCSE

we have tried to re assure her that getting the grades to do the A levels she wants is all that matters

but not having been to university neither her mam or I know how this works or of thats true?

Ta

* she went back monday after 2 weeks in isolation straight into mocks ... has had about 8 weeks actual in front of teacher teaching in school since March...
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 20, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

[QUOTE=novocastrian;14732171]as above in the event of student a and student b having the required A level results , would they then look how they performed at GSCE ?

my Y11 daughters mocks arent going well* & she is in meltdown about not getting good GCSE

we have tried to re assure her that getting the grades to do the A levels she wants is all that matters

but not having been to university neither her mam or I know how this works or of thats true?

Ta

* she went back monday after 2 weeks in isolation straight into mocks ... has had about 8 weeks actual in front of teacher teaching in school since March...[/QUOTE

Generally, they do not matter in the way you are thinking... but some gcses matter for some universities... dd required a 6 in gcse English for some applications for pharmacy for instance.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 20, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Biscaya
Excited about Disney

No not usually. As long as she gets her Maths and English I don't think they generally look at other grades. It will be held A Level grades that matter.
Biscaya is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 20, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

I very much doubt it as the subjects could be completely different.
So long as she gets 4 in her English and Maths she will be able to do the next step without resits.
If she's planning on doing Alevels she might need 5/6 in the subjects she wants to carry on. Dds school wanted this but the local 6th form colleges didn't
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 20, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

Lots of uni's insist on a basic grade in English and possibly maths, but I think as long as she gets those she will be fine. More important that the grades is what she puts in her personal statement/application. She is more likely to be selected if she can show she had a life outside of school, get her to take up some interesting hobbies if she doesn't already.
My DD got accepted on 4 out of 5 applications (one she applied for she was way off the required grades, but went for it anyway), she did lots outside of school, Girls Brigade, Volunteered as a young leader with boys bridgade, helped as a 1 to 1 with a special need lad on a holiday club. Did summer camps etc
My friends DD had brilliant Gcse's and the grades for her courses and got accepted on 1 out of 5 - her personal statement read 'I like reading and going to the cinema'
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 20, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
langside
Very Serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 54
Sorry I can’t help fully with your answer but to hopefully ease your daughters concerns- i was someone who was predicted A*/ A’s in most her GCSES & I ended up getting mostly D’s, but once at sixth form doing subjects I really thrived & getting help to manage nerves etc I managed to get 2 x A’s and 2 x B’s at A level. When applying for uni’s my gcse results didn’t seem to affect my offers - I got 5 offers -Newcastle, Liverpool, Edinburgh (unconditional), Sheffield, Durham and Cambridge (although never picker here as my 1st or 2nd option knew it wasn’t for me- but it was still a pretty nice feeling to get such a prestigious offer).

I hope this helps, I remember it’s so hard to accept/ understand at the time but know it’s not the end of the dream/ educational path going forward
langside is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 20, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
nasty
Imagineer

It depends on the course. My DS GCSE’s were taken into consideration when applying for medicine and biomed degrees.
nasty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 20, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkerBabe
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by nasty View Post
It depends on the course. My DS GCSE’s were taken into consideration when applying for medicine and biomed degrees.
Absolutely this...I manage ucas applications in a sixth form centre and for the top tier universities, and for courses such as maths, economics, the sciences, engineering etc, there will often be a GCSE requirement. Sometimes they can be surprising, for example for some maths/finance courses at Warwick, LSE, they require a 7 or above in a humanities or social science. So the key thing is to check specific unis/courses when the time comes.
TinkerBabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 20, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Something to bear in mind is that some 6th forms and colleges will require a certain grade GCSE in the subject they want to study at A-Level too. She shouldn’t worry too much as everyone is in the same boat and I’m sure allowances will be made

Edited at 10:00 PM.
Colette-S is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 20, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamadream
Imagineer

My course, midwifery, wanted everything from GCSE onwards.
It’s best to check with each uni and each course
dreamadream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List