Notices

Old 15 Feb 15, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
redspottyowl
Imagineer

redspottyowl's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
"These things are fun, and fun is good!" NYC and Florida family pre trippie

A few people have asked me if I am going to write a trip report, so here goes!, I am a bit nervous about committing to doing so as on our last holiday I wrote an ion depth pre trippie, took extensive notes on the trip with the intention of doing so, however, on our return I was confronted with the news that my dad had an aggressive form of cancer, hence it never got written. Fast forward to today, dad is doing really well, after difficult treatment he was given the all clear, for now so I will try and actually finish a trip report this time!

So who are we? We are a family of 4

Me (38) chief planner and organiser

DH (soon to be 39) goes with the flow

DD1 celebrates her 10th birthday in NYC

DD2 (7) our basketball fan

This will be our first visit to NYC as a family, I visited 20 years ago, on my way home from Camp America, I think it has changed a lot since then and seems to have cleaned up! It is our third family visit to Orlando, once offsite, once onsite and as you will see this trip contains no Disney!

We have learnt that Florida is vast so try to have a specific element to each trip, last trip was all about Disney, this trip is more about having fun and a less pressured pace, that I find all the ADR's that come with DDP bring.

We are planning 3 nights in New York then 12 nights in Orlando, here are the basic details:- (more details later)
21st May - overnight stay Feltham travel lodge - bargain £29
22nd May - 9.15 am flight LHR to JFK - stay in New Yorker for 3 nights - £440
25th May - 5pm Jet Blue flight NWK -MCO - £220 for all of us - stay Fantasy World resort for 12 nights £606
6 June - 18.15 flight home to the UK

As with all my trips there are lots of details planned and I will update you in due course, please join me on our adventure!

These things are fun..and fun is good NYC/Orlando May/June 15 Pretrippy
Adults are only kids grown up pretrippy Oct/Nov 2013
A Bargain Hunters Pre-trip report Nov 2011
NOV 2011 - Villa offsite 'bargain hunters'
OCT/NOV 2013 - OLD KEY WEST Disney trip - DDP
OCT/NOV 2018 - Disney pixie dust Yacht Club stay
AUG 2022 - Cabana Bay -teen choice

Edited at 05:33 PM. Reason: add photos
redspottyowl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 15, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
gartland87
Very Serious Dibber

Ooh sounds fantastic! I, also planning on doing the same in Dec 17 so still a whilst off but it will be good to get ideas from you in regards to the New York stay

Look forward to reading more
gartland87 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 15, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post

Hello

sounds great. Looking forward to more.

Me and hubby had a NYC trip a couple of years ago. I ddin't love it like I thought I would but he did. Hope to go again with our youngest maybe towards the end of next year. Would love to combine it with either a cruise from NYC or a trip down to Orlando.

Happy planning
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 15, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
academy
slightly serious Dibber

Hi

Have subscribed to this one. We are doing a similar sort of thing in August. 4nts New York then 12 nights Orlando.

First time for us to New York so really looking forward to it.

Have drafted (and posted) my proposed itinerary - well a starting point anyway so I will be really interested in how yours goes to compare notes

Looking forward to following you on your journey
academy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 15, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
redspottyowl
Imagineer

redspottyowl's Reviews
Originally Posted by academy View Post
Hi

Have subscribed to this one. We are doing a similar sort of thing in August. 4nts New York then 12 nights Orlando.

First time for us to New York so really looking forward to it.

Have drafted (and posted) my proposed itinerary - well a starting point anyway so I will be really interested in how yours goes to compare notes

Looking forward to following you on your journey
I read your itinerary, hopefully we can get some ideas from each other!

redspottyowl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 15, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
redspottyowl
Imagineer

redspottyowl's Reviews
Originally Posted by minnie-magic View Post
Hello

sounds great. Looking forward to more.

Me and hubby had a NYC trip a couple of years ago. I ddin't love it like I thought I would but he did. Hope to go again with our youngest maybe towards the end of next year. Would love to combine it with either a cruise from NYC or a trip down to Orlando.

Happy planning
Thanks, hope you enjoy the pre-trippie, my girls have driven the NYC part, they both really want to go!

Originally Posted by gartland87 View Post
Ooh sounds fantastic! I, also planning on doing the same in Dec 17 so still a whilst off but it will be good to get ideas from you in regards to the New York stay

Look forward to reading more
Enjoy reading, hope we can give you some good ideas!

Old 15 Feb 15, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
sheluk
Imagineer

Fab start! We just got back from NY in December and loved it- sure you and your Fam will too! And to mix it with orlando how great will that be

Happy planning!
sheluk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 15, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
redspottyowl
Imagineer

redspottyowl's Reviews
Nyc plan

Ok.. so introductions over, lets start with some planning, this section is all about NYC, the big apple! I have to say that when I visited 20 years ago aged 18, I really didn't enjoy NYC, I think this was mainly attributable to the fact I had been in the US for nearly 4 months and just wanted to go home, plus I think, there were areas you just really didn't want to be. From what I understand NYC is much safer, cleaner and generally friendly these days, so I am excited about this visit as are the rest of the family. My DD's are the key drivers in this element of the trip.

So here are some of our plans...

22nd May 2015 - Depart Heathrow, flying Virgin Atlantic, we have pre-booked our seats (for free I hasten to add) and are sitting on the left hand side, which, I understand has the best views. DH has an exit row seat and me and the girls are behind.

We land just before midday. After our passports are checked we are thinking of getting the AirTrain into Penn Station, but this plan may change and we may opt for a yellow cab.
We then check into our hotel, the New Yorker

We will then have a wander around and get our bairings before going for food at the Hard Rock Cafe. Me and DH have meal vouchers we bought from Attraction Tickets Direct for £15 each

23rd May - is DD1's 10th Birthday, so we have a day full of surprises, starting off with a Toy Soldier Breakfast at FAO Shwartz ($40 each)

We will then head towards Central Park as I have pre-booked a horse and carriage ride, which will last about 1 hour (about £85)

We will then grab a drink, here if possible... and some treats too!

We will then head up to the Rockefeller Centre and go to the 'Top of the Rock"

Ending the day with a celebration meal at Ellens Stardust Diner!

24th May 2015

So far we have booked Crown Access tickets for the Statue of Liberty, not sure If I will make it up there , but we will see!

We will then jump on the subway across to Dumbo for some Pizza before walking back across the Brooklyn Bridge!

We will then head to BareBurger for Dinner, which I have a Groupon for $14 for $26 worth of food!

25th May -
Today we check out of our New York Hotel, but as we don't fly until 5pm we will leave our bags with the concierge.
We plan to have a look in Century 21, Macy's, Times Square and if time, Chelsea Market and Toys R US before heading to Penn Station to catch the Air Train to Newark for a 5pm flight with JetBlue to ORLANDO!

Old 15 Feb 15, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
academy
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by redspottyowl View Post
I read your itinerary, hopefully we can get some ideas from each other!

Yeah good idea
academy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 15, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
academy
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by redspottyowl View Post
Ok.. so introductions over, lets start with some planning, this section is all about NYC, the big apple! I have to say that when I visited 20 years ago aged 18, I really didn't enjoy NYC, I think this was mainly attributable to the fact I had been in the US for nearly 4 months and just wanted to go home, plus I think, there were areas you just really didn't want to be. From what I understand NYC is much safer, cleaner and generally friendly these days, so I am excited about this visit as are the rest of the family. My DD's are the key drivers in this element of the trip.

So here are some of our plans...

22nd May 2015 - Depart Heathrow, flying Virgin Atlantic, we have pre-booked our seats (for free I hasten to add) and are sitting on the left hand side, which, I understand has the best views. DH has an exit row seat and me and the girls are behind.

We land just before midday. After our passports are checked we are thinking of getting the AirTrain into Penn Station, but this plan may change and we may opt for a yellow cab.
We then check into our hotel, the New Yorker

We will then have a wander around and get our bairings before going for food at the Hard Rock Cafe. Me and DH have meal vouchers we bought from Attraction Tickets Direct for £15 each

23rd May - is DD1's 10th Birthday, so we have a day full of surprises, starting off with a Toy Soldier Breakfast at FAO Shwartz ($40 each)

We will then head towards Central Park as I have pre-booked a horse and carriage ride, which will last about 1 hour (about £85)

We will then grab a drink, here if possible... and some treats too!

We will then head up to the Rockefeller Centre and go to the 'Top of the Rock"

Ending the day with a celebration meal at Ellens Stardust Diner!

24th May 2015

So far we have booked Crown Access tickets for the Statue of Liberty, not sure If I will make it up there , but we will see!

We will then jump on the subway across to Dumbo for some Pizza before walking back across the Brooklyn Bridge!

We will then head to BareBurger for Dinner, which I have a Groupon for $14 for $26 worth of food!

25th May -
Today we check out of our New York Hotel, but as we don't fly until 5pm we will leave our bags with the concierge.
We plan to have a look in Century 21, Macy's, Times Square and if time, Chelsea Market and Toys R US before heading to Penn Station to catch the Air Train to Newark for a 5pm flight with JetBlue to ORLANDO!
Looking Good so far