Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 12 Jan 18, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
EllieandCarl
Trainee Dibber

Mobile POR... talk to me!

What do you like about POR? What do you dislike? As a young couple on our honeymoon will it be suitable?

I like the look of Magnolia Bend but interested to hear what others think is the best area to stay! First time on site so any advice is appreciated
EllieandCarl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 18, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

POR is my favourite moderate resort. Personally I like the Alligator Bayou area better as it is more rustic and the foliage is deeper. The resort is supposed to mirror the properties of the area it is portraying in terms of wealth so the Bayou area is rustic and the Magnolia Bend area more majestic. However. With the outside decor of the buildings is just a shell with the same size room behind them with the same basic amenities. Exceptions are AG ha less drawer space but a fifth pull down bed and MG doesn’t have the pull down but has more drawer space. The Royal Rooms are more themed and more expensive. Pool views cost more. Water views more again. You can’t see any view unless you leave your room. It’s a large resort and preferred rooms are in AG and near to the food court and main reception and shop. These are where I stay. There are four bus stops. The main pool is great and there is a spa pool, lockers, bar and shower facilities. The QS food court is excellent and the TS restaurant is fine for a visit if convenience of a resort day appeals. Boats to Disney Springs. Walkable to POFQ for more QS options. Beautiful to walk around. Fishing. Couple of hammocks. Kids play area. Great quiet pools next to laundry facilities. Decent shop. Excellent bar with Ye Haw Bob some nights who is not to be missed! I think you’ll have a lovely time. For a honeymoon I’d request a corner room with a king bed and keep my fingers crossed x
Old 12 Jan 18, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
For a honeymoon I’d request a corner room with a king bed and keep my fingers crossed x
Note that king bed is a separate booking category at the moderates, so you'd have to book a king bed to receive one. But otherwise I agree with the suggestion of requesting a corner room.

And I would also request MB over AB since you get the drawer space and I personally prefer the theming. Most of the differences are external as mentioned but there are subtle differences inside. Lighter and brighter, IMO.

Royal Rooms don't have king beds so that section is out for me. Love a king bed!
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 18, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
anna68
VIP Dibber

anna68's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Stayed there in April last year for the first time on property. We were impressed- it felt like a quality hotel in a beautiful non Disney setting. It's calm and beautiful. The boat to Disney springs is lovely. I liked magnolia bend.
anna68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 18, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
mollybogle
Apprentice Imagineer

We stayed there in September it was a nice enough resort but I personally don’t see what all the fuss is, considering the price I would rather pay the extra and stay at OKW or stay at CBR
Old 12 Jan 18, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post

We moved from Cbr we had 3 rooms in Alligator Bayou and loved them . It was a lovely resort and very peaceful even in August it never felt full no problems with buses either. We will definitely go back loved the boat to Disney springs.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 18, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Unexpectedpenny
Imagineer

French Quarter is my favourite mod but Riverside would be a close second, it’s lovely! Boat to DS, nice walks around the resort/river, horse carriage rides etc.

Originally Posted by loldis View Post
Note that king bed is a separate booking category at the moderates, so you'd have to book a king bed to receive one. But otherwise I agree with the suggestion of requesting a corner room.
You can fax a request and ask for a king bed though. We were upgraded to one when we stayed at POFQ
Unexpectedpenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 18, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
shepherdypie
VIP Dibber

POR is my favourite moderate. We stayed in Magnoloia Bend and loved it. I just find it so tranquil and lovely. Lots of rabbits, squirrels, ducks etc.

I would stay there again without a doubt.
Old 12 Jan 18, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Potterer
Very Serious Dibber

We have stayed twice and are booked in for this August.

If you haven't already discovered portorleans then have a look, it is the unofficial website run by Andre.

We like to stay in Alligator Bayou, it is lush and green, lots of dappled shade surrounding the buildings making the walk to and from your room a pleasure. It is a lovely place to stroll. After the hectic parks, this is the place that will help you to relax, slow down and enjoy every step you take in this stunningly beautiful resort.

Magnolia bend is more opulent looking from the exterior but there is little shade.

The boat to Disney springs is a welcome change from the buses, you get to enjoy the riverbank view, stop off and French Quarter and listen to the water rushing past the boat.

The Rivermill food court offers a lot of choice and the food is good. There is a lot of seating, you can sit by the watermill and watch the wheel, or look over the marina area.

You can toast marshmallows for free around a firepit, it feels decadent!

I could talk about it all day

Even though we have the children with us, strolling back to the room hand in hand with my husband feels romantic and calm. I hope you have a lovely time.

Edited at 09:58 PM. Reason: added marshmallow info
Potterer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 18, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
EllieandCarl
Trainee Dibber

Thank you so much for all your replies! They are so helpful
EllieandCarl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List