Notices
Itineraries Post your Trip Itineraries here.

Old 1 Feb 19, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
ASCollins
Trying for More Ears

Day 1 lands on Veteran's Day Weekend

Hi All,

We are booked for November 2019 and trying to start putting itinerary together.

We fly on the 9th and therefore the 10th is our Day 1 which also happens to be the Sunday of the Veteran's Day weekend (Veteran's Day is the 11th). I had originally anticipated an easy day that day, outlet's/Walmart, but my wife really wants to kick the magic off straight away with Magic Kingdom.
Is this totally out of the question given the crowds at that time?
Also, if we were to do MK Day 1, is it best to force ourselves up and out (maybe with a Be Our Guest breakfast reservation) or is it better to lie in on that day?

Many thanks.
ASCollins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Feb 19, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
If you want to do mk on your first day ( I always do ) then just go for it and don’t worry about crowds . Nothing more special than seeing the castle for the first time of your trip . It may be a mvmcp date so the park may be quieter in the morning but we won’t know for sure until the dates are released which could be anytime.
We are not a rise a 4am family even on the first day ( we work shifts so perhaps that helps ) but you may benefit from a 8am adr if you can get one it all depends on your family , no point get up at the crack of dawn if everyone is going to be tired and grumpy all day.
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ

Edited at 02:56 PM.
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Feb 19, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

Veterans Day is not a huge holiday and it is celebrated on different days by different states. My son lives in Texas and it has never been a holiday for either him or his wife. Sometimes ours is a Monday holiday, other years duyring the week.

I think Disney may have a special offer for veterans but I don't think it would dramatically impact park attendance.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 19, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
ASCollins
Trying for More Ears

Thanks for your responses. I have decided we will go to MK on Day 1 but just for the morning, we are going to convert 1 MK day and 1 rest day into 1 MK Morning with a rest afternoon and 1 MK Afternoon with a rest morning.

Hopefully this will work!
ASCollins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 19, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
We were there in 2014 the first two weeks of November. The first week was 'Jersey week' when apparently loads of people from New Jersey come to the parks. This had no impact on us at all, apart from hearing quite a few Noo Joisey accents around.

The middle weekend was the Food & Wine Half Marathon. We had been told to avoid Epcot on that day (and indeed all weekends during F&W Festival) so we did. We should also have avoided Disney Springs (or DTD as it still was then) as it was really full of people wandering round with drinks, and we were in a hurry to get to Cirque de Soleil!

As for Veterans' Day, we timed it so our 2 night Universal stay was over those days, so we'd have early entry and FOLP to avoid the crowds. Well, nice though that was, we needn't have bothered. Universal was almost completely deserted on Veterans' Day, despite having a special parade. Everything was a walk on!

However, I did hear that MK was rammed that day.

Seaworld/Busch give free entry to veterans, but I don't know if that has much impact. The only two times I have been to Seaworld it was deathly quiet!
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 19, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post
princemarkie
Trying for More Ears

we were there for Martin Luther King day a couple of weeks ago...avoid all parks like the plague...it was rammed stupid
Old 15 Feb 19, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post
guinness_79
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
We were there in 2014 the first two weeks of November. The first week was 'Jersey week' when apparently loads of people from New Jersey come to the parks. This had no impact on us at all, apart from hearing quite a few Noo Joisey accents around.

The middle weekend was the Food & Wine Half Marathon. We had been told to avoid Epcot on that day (and indeed all weekends during F&W Festival) so we did. We should also have avoided Disney Springs (or DTD as it still was then) as it was really full of people wandering round with drinks, and we were in a hurry to get to Cirque de Soleil!

As for Veterans' Day, we timed it so our 2 night Universal stay was over those days, so we'd have early entry and FOLP to avoid the crowds. Well, nice though that was, we needn't have bothered. Universal was almost completely deserted on Veterans' Day, despite having a special parade. Everything was a walk on!

However, I did hear that MK was rammed that day.

Seaworld/Busch give free entry to veterans, but I don't know if that has much impact. The only two times I have been to Seaworld it was deathly quiet!

same for us ... in 2017 we did US/IOA with express passes from hotel- however the parks were dead - didn't really need the passes ... they did have a parade for veterans day which was great to watch ... and very humbling!
guinness_79 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List