Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 21 Apr 19, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Custancia
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 16
The 3 Mouseketeers Non-Stop WDW Adventure (Aug 2018) Day 7 Part 2 - Ohana and MK

Day 7 - Part 1 is here

We’d had a busy morning, but there was only time for a quick change and freshen up before we headed out for our ADR. We’d had to change our original ADRs and needed to move our Ohana reservation. The only time we could get was 4.20pm, which didn’t leave us much time to get ready as we weren’t back in our room until after 3pm.

Clearly we were not going to be able to get a bus to MK, and then the monorail to Ohana’s in that timescale! But I’d never intended to - our day planner was instructing us to take a Minnie Van, and after yesterday’s excellent experience, we were looking forward to it. The Lyft app was easy to use. We had installed it at home and, when it recognized we were at WDW, it automatically gave us Minnie Van as an option to choose. Our car was heading over from Disney Springs, so only took a few minutes to arrive and the pickup location for our building was just outside our room. It really couldn’t have been easier! The car was lovely again, and so was the CM driving it. I’m not sure that I would pay the expensive by the mile rate they charge now, but it felt reasonable value for $25 (taxi, uber or standard lyft would have been cheaper – but the experience was more luxurious).

In fact, it was all so easy we were at the Polynesian by 3.50pm! We decided to have a look around:

and thought we would see if we could find the small (secret-ish) door to Trader Sam’s Grog Grotto that we’d heard so much about.

We found it very quickly, and there was a cast member taking names ready for admission when it opened at 4pm. DH signed us up (there were already a few other names down), and we headed outside to explore for a couple of minutes. I was thinking (as you might be!) that this is quite tight on time for a 4.20pm reservation, but I thought maybe a quick drink and arriving a few minutes late would be OK. DH had not looked at the day planner, and had no idea what time our ADR was! It was soon time to go in, and we were shown to a table and handed a menu/drinks list. The drinks looked very tempting (although the prices less so – and DH is a sucker for a souvenir mug). There's even some good non-alchoholic choices.

It is an amazing bar, incredibly themed. It's quite dark to get pictures though!

However, I realised that by the time we’d given our drinks order and got our drinks – let alone had time to enjoy them – we’d be running very late for our ADR. So we left without ordering, and headed up to Ohanas, promising ourselves we would return on a future holiday.
We headed upstairs and checked in for Ohana’s – remembering that the check-in desk is a little distance from the actual restaurant.

We sat on the chairs nearby for a little while and admired the Polynesian building.

Our name was called and we were taken into the restaurant:

We had a table near the window, with a nice view.

We’d had a great meal here last time, but this time it was just fine. Not really sure why, as it’s the same menu. Perhaps because the server seemed rather unavailable, and we had to ask him, and remind him, for the cocktail menu (as we wanted to use the alcoholic drink included with our TS credit). We did eventually get cocktails – I had the sangria and DH had something layered and frozen! DD had a fanta I think!

There was pineapple coconut bread to start – this was really nice!

Then they brought salad

Followed by chicken wings and pork gyoza/dumplings (with dipping sauces), and there were noodles, and stir fry veg too.

I only really like the chicken skewers (not too keen on prawn, or steak – although DH and DD love them!) however they only seemed to be giving out a couple of pieces at a time and didn’t come around with the skewers as frequently as last time. They are impressively long skewers though.

There were also hot towels, very useful for DD and DH after the peel-your-own prawns

And finally dessert… Bread Pudding with caramel banana sauce, and ice-cream. This was really lovely!

0nce we’d eaten, we browsed the shop in the Polynesian

and DH seriously considered buying a Stitch hoodie…. But didn’t (wasn’t sure when he would wear it). Then we caught the monorail to Magic Kingdom, which was quite busy!

When we arrived at Magic Kingdom, they were advertising Mickeys Not So Scary Halloween Party - and I was really glad that we'd extended our holiday so we could be going to this!

DH and DD teased me about getting a map and times guide as we went in - they can both find their way round by memory, but I have very little sense of direction so feel much safer with a map (even though it's on the app too!)

We went for a ride on the railroad, to make sure our dinner had settled sufficiently. It has such a grand entrance - very reminiscent of the 'age of steam trains'.

Then it was time for our first Fastpass of the day, Big Thunder Mountain (DD’s favourite ride, although she is adamant she doesn’t like rollercoasters!)

We browsed for a little while in the Briar Patch shop, the theming in the shops at WDW is incredible.

Then it was time for our next Fastpass, this time one of my favourite rides, Splash Mountain.

Then we went to watch Country Bears, with its disproportionately large waiting area.

It’s very corny, and that’s perhaps why we love it so much. DH also (he’s just told me) likes that it’s a purpose built stage, designed to showcase different elements at different times. No getting away from the fact that it is very corny though!

Then onto our third Fastpass; Pirates of the Caribbean. I enjoy the theming of the queue, being able to look into the small rooms, even if the lighting levels are rather low!

Whilst in the queue, I booked a fourth fast pass for Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin.
We headed over to the hub in plenty of time for Happily Ever After, so that we could get a good viewing place (typically we’re ‘find a last minute space somewhere around the edge’ people!). Then we dispatched DH off to Starbucks to get a Caramel Frappucino (for DD) and 2 strawberry acai refreshers (DH’s and my drink of choice this holiday!). We positioned ourselves at the railing by a flower bed, so that no-one tall could stand just in front of us. It was a bad night for ‘a stakeout with a takeout’ (as DD described it) as it was really wet. There was rain, thunder and lightning. It was August so not freezing rain, but it was the closest I felt to being cold all holiday!

Obviously we had left our ponchos in our room so DH and I huddled together to try to keep half dry. DD had sensibly brought the huge towel she’d got at Discovery Cove with her (intended for sitting on, whilst waiting), but wrapped herself up in it, to stay fairly dry.

It was the first time we’d seen Happily Ever After, so no photos I’m afraid as I wanted to just absorb it (plus my camera isn’t waterproof!). Wishes will always be very special to me – but we all really enjoyed Happily Ever After. We waited to see the Once Upon a Time projection too, which was like a good night story, and very lovely!

We wandered over, discussing the relative merits of Wishes and HEA, to Space Ranger Spin. I love this ride, but as there are 3 of us, we always end up as a 2 and a 1 in the cars. Usually on rides, it’s less good to be alone – but on this ride, we are all trying to have a car to ourselves so that we’re guaranteed to be able to steer and shoot.

There’s nothing more annoying than having lined up the perfect shot only to unexpectedly find yourself facing the opposite direction. (Well, OK there are probably more annoying things – but not at WDW!).

It was the Incredibles Summer whilst we were there. We didn’t manage to do many of the special Incredible things, but we did find this omnidroid photo location!

Then onto the people mover – which is almost always a walk on, and a fabulous chance to sit down, and travel around Tomorrowland, including peeking into Space Mountain and Buzz, and the view of the castle is fabulous (especially lit up at night).

By this time, the extra magic evening hours were coming to an end, so we were gently ushered towards Main Street and out of the park.

We were shattered by now (it was very late!) but at least there wasn’t much of a queue for the bus back to Riverside.

Day 8 is here

WDW POR 2010, 2012, 2014, 2015 (Xmas), 2016 and 2018

Edited at 09:28 PM.
Custancia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
A quick change and then out for dinner. The evening at MK sounds perfect. We don't normally bother to go to the fireworks too early either as the kids get a bit fidgety waiting just for fireworks. It sounds like you picked a great spot with the railing in front of you a shame you got a bit wet though.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Custancia
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
A quick change and then out for dinner. The evening at MK sounds perfect. We don't normally bother to go to the fireworks too early either as the kids get a bit fidgety waiting just for fireworks. It sounds like you picked a great spot with the railing in front of you a shame you got a bit wet though.
It was a great evening at MK. Thank you so much for reading and commenting - it's helping me keep up my motivation to get this trippie complete

Custancia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 19, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
katnav
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I am really enjoying your trip report. We are going this August so interesting to see what you managed on a day to day basis and whether my current plan is sensible or not.
katnav is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 19, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Custancia
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by katnav View Post
I am really enjoying your trip report. We are going this August so interesting to see what you managed on a day to day basis and whether my current plan is sensible or not.
I'm so glad you're enjoying it

I've just read out your comment to DH, who replied "As long as they do less than us, it will probably be sensible!"- no idea what he means

August is hot, so planning to spend time in air con environments is key.

Old 6 Jun 19, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
jothp
Apprentice Imagineer

An excellent evening at MK. We love being in the parks in the dark, it just seems more magical somehow. We tried O'hana for the first time on our last trip and didn't love it. The food wasn't bad but it wasn't one of our stand out meals so I don't think we'll be back.
jothp is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List