Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Apr 19, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
myvot
Excited about Disney

Mobile Knee pain after hillwalking

I climbed the Merrick in Dumfries but on the way down I was getting really bad pain in one of me knees. It was that bad it was a struggle to lift my foot from the floor.

I'm hoping it'll heal in a few weeks but any suggestions to stop this happening again. I have walking poles but they didn't help much.
myvot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 06:26 PM  
Link to this Post
whlparkstone
Imagineer

Mobile

For now I would suggest lots of rest. Have you thought about getting a knee support?
Old 23 Apr 19, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

Sorry to hear about your pain.

Firstly, book yourself a physio session - £40 well spent to get some advice.

Secondly - do you adjust your walking poles to lengthen them on the way down? I find them really helpful both up and down - they take a little bit of the strain off your knees.

Thirdly - is your footwear up to the job? Do you need insoles? Maybe see a podiatrist if you think that your feet could be the culprit...

Good luck with the recovery...

Edited at 06:41 PM.
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by myvot View Post
I climbed the Merrick in Dumfries but on the way down I was getting really bad pain in one of me knees. It was that bad it was a struggle to lift my foot from the floor.

I'm hoping it'll heal in a few weeks but any suggestions to stop this happening again. I have walking poles but they didn't help much.
My suggestion is not to climb the Merrick again
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 06:56 AM  
Link to this Post
malt1977
Apprentice Imagineer

Get it checked out, it could be many things. In my case, knee pain was due to torn cartilage and needed surgery to remove it.

Look after your knees, you’ll miss them when they’re gone.
malt1977 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 07:36 AM  
Link to this Post
katiebaz
Apprentice Imagineer

katiebaz's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
My DH had something similar. We do lots of hill walking and he was getting increasingly bad pain in his knees on the descent. I nagged him to go to the docs and he ended up with a course of physio which has helped immensely. His knees were worn from years of playing cricket and hill walking but the physio has really sorted things out.
katiebaz is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 08:06 AM  
Link to this Post
myvot
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Thanks for all the advice. If the pain doesn't ease in a few days I'll get it checked. I will adjust my poles next time and if I get pain like it again I'll need to give it up and try something else x
myvot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
louiseybobs
Imagineer

louiseybobs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Its very common to get pain in legs and knees when going downhill. Sorry no advice here. But I know when our team climbed snowdon the ones that got the train back down were fine, yet the ones who walked down were in pain the next day x