Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Apr 19, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Boothy16
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by MillieMoo23 View Post
I'm an Office Manager and my husband is a Service Manager (IT).

Unfortunately, we both only get statutory sick pay
Thanks for that.

I have just looked on our quote system for same levels of cover you been quoted with Aviva.

Legal & General £88.61 per month
AIG £104.37 per month
Royal London £106.22 per month
LV £114.61 per month

LV & Royal London will also offer fracture cover on their plans as standard so if you break a bone you will get a pay out for this also.

Just to give you an idea of costings hope that helps
Boothy16 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
waiting4disney
Imagineer

Mobile

Can you get any insurance through your work?
Old 24 Apr 19, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
MillieMoo23
Getting Excited

Unfortunately not, we both work for rather small companies
MillieMoo23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

My late Fiance and I had life insurance with Aviva. We didn't have the income protection on top but from memory we only paid about £20 per month for the both of us which covered the mortgage if one of us died. Unfortunately he died when he was 31. Based on my experience of dealing with them under such circumstances I can highly recommend them as they were very professional and easy to deal with.
Old 24 Apr 19, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyBeliever
Getting Excited

Mobile

I am not a financial advisor, however:

£120 a month is a hell of a lot of money. If you simply saved that into your savings every month that’s £1440 a year that you would have as an extra buffer in case something went wrong.

You say you are both in your 30s and healthy. Have you had much time off sick from your work? If not then why do you need this cover?

It would benefit you to work out how many times and how much you would need to claim in order for the policy to pay back I.e. you might need to be off sick for one month every year in order for it to pay back. Once you’ve done that calculation you can work out if it’s worth it to you.
DisneyBeliever is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I would also recommend Aviva. Don’t fall into that “fit and well, won’t need it trap” you never know what is round the corner believe me..
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumba75
Imagineer

Pumba75's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by DisneyBeliever View Post
I am not a financial advisor, however:

£120 a month is a hell of a lot of money. If you simply saved that into your savings every month that’s £1440 a year that you would have as an extra buffer in case something went wrong.

You say you are both in your 30s and healthy. Have you had much time off sick from your work? If not then why do you need this cover?

It would benefit you to work out how many times and how much you would need to claim in order for the policy to pay back I.e. you might need to be off sick for one month every year in order for it to pay back. Once you’ve done that calculation you can work out if it’s worth it to you.
I don't think you quite understand how the cover the OP is referring to works, or the benefit it is designed to provide. Simply putting the premiums into a savings account each month is nowhere near enough to self-insure to the same level of cover these benefits provide.
Pumba75 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyBeliever
Getting Excited

Mobile

Originally Posted by Pumba75 View Post
I don't think you quite understand how the cover the OP is referring to works, or the benefit it is designed to provide. Simply putting the premiums into a savings account each month is nowhere near enough to self-insure to the same level of cover these benefits provide.
Sorry, I was mainly referring to the sickness cover which is the expensive bit. You’re right that it wouldn’t touch the life cover aspect but that is available a lot cheaper than £120 per month.

Clearly people will have different views but £120 a month is a lot of money to pay out for a benefit that you may not use (again, sickness cover).
DisneyBeliever is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumba75
Imagineer

Pumba75's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by DisneyBeliever View Post
Sorry, I was mainly referring to the sickness cover which is the expensive bit. You’re right that it wouldn’t touch the life cover aspect but that is available a lot cheaper than £120 per month.

Clearly people will have different views but £120 a month is a lot of money to pay out for a benefit that you may not use (again, sickness cover).
The premiums the OP has quoted for the Income Protection are around £88pm, so saving that rather than paying for the cover won't even provide one month's benefit over the course of a year. Again, it's not a lot to pay for the benefit that will be provided if a claim is needed, and really not a lot to pay to mitigate that risk.
Pumba75 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List