Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 19 Apr 19, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

The storm is nothing more than a usual daily storm that everyone gets during the summer months.
Most people just throw on a poncho and carry on as normal. Many rides will continue as normal in rain, bigger rides stop during thunder/lightening.
If you are not aware, Florida storms are very different. We have been in Epcot and its been dry, while thunder storms in MK. We have even been in AK when one side of the park was wet, but the other side was scorching hot.

Originally Posted by BuzzStarkiller View Post
Anybody know what the policy is if you’re in a park and a bad storm hits. It it just basically run for cover and do they close most rides?

Reason for asking is that tomorrow there is a bad one heading in around 3ish and we’re at Animal Kingdom.

If there is any sign of thunder/lightening within a few miles then the water parks will close the water areas and rides. Usually the food stalls stay open. Most years we are affected, but its usually a good thing because we leave the water, get some food and wait the storm out. Afterwards when the storms past, the water park is dead and everything is walk on.

Originally Posted by disney1st timer View Post
The only Park I’ve been in that they actually closed was Typhoon Lagoon.
Aug 2017 - RPR & AKL, Oct 2019 - HRH & BC
Oct 2022 - RPR, Poly & AKL
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 19, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Mo&Chris
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by disney332 View Post
Normal drill to my recollection, is to stop boat transportation, and if bad close the water parks.

Disney332
Yep. First year we went, there was an amazing storm hit just after the afternoon parade at MK - looking back on my photos, you can actually watch the clouds rolling in! The Liberty Belle - which was our next stop - was cancelled and we ended up huddled under the stands at Liberty Square Market waiting for the worse to pass - it was so bad, even the ducks were sheltering from the rain with us! We eventually gave up, and made our way back to the exit in the rain, and got the monorail back, as the ferry boats were cancelled.

Still a fab memory, though!

/Mo
Mo&Chris is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 19, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
RobandLynsey
Very Serious Dibber

We were there last summer and had plenty of storms. As others have said it is very common in the summer. The outdoor rides that involve anything that is an electrical conductor will shut down (grab a fast pass quick for one of these, something like barnstormer, and if it is shut during the FP hour you get an FP you can use on almost anything, apart form 7dmt and pp). If you decide to carry on you will probably get soaked, even with a Poncho as I hate those things, but lines are generally a lot smaller for other rides as people are sheltering where they were when the rain hits. Once over everything opens again fairly rapidly, just watch out for the lakes, I mean puddles!
Old 19 Apr 19, 11:36 PM  
Link to this Post
choccielover
Imagineer

The storm hit, we had left AK and were stopping in at our hotel momentarily (POFQ) but ended up staying there for 30 mins whilst the worst passed

Headed to Epcot where it’s continied raining and has just about stopped and all open except Test track. We have an open FP as soarin went down but we have dinner at coral reef shortly so will head there afterwards

Was hoping for a carriage ride round POR tonight but suspect that’ll not be happening.

It was rather humid and muggy though which has lifted now the storm has passed
choccielover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 19, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Thunderstorms are really common in Orlando but from my anecdotal experience it feels like most of them pass pretty quickly.

Any chance of lightning in the area will shut down outdoor rides (it could be clear skies and no rain yet but Disney will pre-emptively shut down the outdoor rides due to risk of lightning). Some rides are more prone to being shut down too, like Test Track. Indoor rides and shows will continue as normal. Parades and fireworks may be postponed (or in really extreme cases, cancelled - but in my experience Disney really does try to keep it going even if the fireworks might go off an hour late, or once starting an MNSSHP parade at midnight when the party was meant to end at midnight).

It feels like once it rains many shops will bring out a stack of ponchos to sell so those will be easily available if you find yourself caught out without one.

Personally my wet weather plan for Disney is to bring along a pair of flip flops in my bag and a poncho, then at the first sign of heavy rain change into flip flops (which dry out fast) and wear the poncho. Makes for a much more pleasant experience than squelching around in wet shoes for the rest of the day!
Old 21 Apr 19, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
adreamisawish
Excited about Disney

Mobile

If you can semi predict when the storm is gonna hit - try and plan to either queue for Dinosaur or go to watch Nemo or Lion King. Or even better if the times good, book an ADR.

I wouldn’t worry too much. Storms are very typical for Florida and they pass. The best thing is that it does tend to drive people out of the parks. And the longer it goes on the more people that leave. The rides then reopen when lightning is out of the area and they’re all walk ons for a period of time.

Embrace the weather as a positive thing.