Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 22 Apr 19, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs dee
Imagineer

San Francisco and LA

Hi everyone
So thinking about forward planning for dh’s 50th birthday in two years. Appreciate it’s sounds far away but for planning for me it’s really not in terms of budget and learning more about the place and maybe Costing it for next year to get an idea etc. There’s two of us plus two kids who will then be 17 and 12. We have both always wanted to do san fran for separate reasons so that’s a must - looking for best ‘area’ to stay for hotels. Secondly L.A. - now this terrifies me tbh. Done nyc countless times etc but it’s so spread out. I know he’s rather not drive but would if he had to. Ideally we would like to do a beach resort for a few days again ideas would be great - San Diego/ Santa Monica ? Would like to do universal perhaps too and see the LA sites. If we had 14 nights in total what would you do as a first timer ? I need easy to follow instructions here lol because despite being someone who plans, organised diy holidays etc I feel really out my depth here - would love some help on areas what’s there etc. Off to read some trippies in the sun

Edited at 03:23 PM.
Mrs dee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Are you wanting to do a road trip on between the two cities i.e. stop along the way down the coast or do you just want to visit the two cities and get between them with flights?

You won’t find beach resort per se in California, in the way we’d define a resort in Spain. You will find hotels on the beach front but expect to pay $$$$.

Would you drive in LA if your husband doesn’t want to? If neither of you are keen you can do Uber/Lyft and metro to get around. A car isn’t recommend in SF because of parking costs but there a a few hotels that have free parking.

I think once you’ve decided on road trip vs two city visits you’ll get more helpful responses in assembling an itinerary.

Edited at 05:09 PM.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I would guess that you need to read reviews and then start debating with your family group. It is worth the hassle as it truly is the most fantastic vacation.

My review ‘California N to South at Easter’ might make a good start point as it covers pretty much all that you are talking about and rather than ‘flipping around’ gives you everything with images and in the one single thread. From there, you may form a plan and then, with a better idea of what you want, look at some of the ‘one thread one day’ reviews of others that may contain greater detail.

I agree that it is not really a beach vacation as there are such an enormous number of iconic attractions to view.. even with 3 weeks. What I would suggest is that you look at SFO, LA Yosemite or SFO, LA, San Diego, rather than try to hit all 4 or even Las Vegas as well.

Any questions are free by personal message if you have any. I also have my spreadsheet and some material remaining should you want it (although others have had the vast majority of the maps etc that I bought back for this very purpose).

No1 tip... look at San Diego with the age of your boys and have a look at the ‘sticky’ of Aims. She was invaluable.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 09:40 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs dee
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks so much guys I’ll make a point of looking at the info and trip reports 👍
And too many canary/Balearic island visits to list
Mrs dee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List