Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Apr 19, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by inky1 View Post
We wanted a rescue puppy but as we work it’s quite difficult to find places that will re home to you and we wanted a Labrador
Ended up buying one from a working farm she’s not KC registered but we saw both her parents with no problem at all .
I think it depends what you want a pet or a show dog .Our girl very rarely barks (apparently this would make her a good working dog ) but does make it her life’s mission to chase birds !
We waited a long time to get a dog - and I have to say although hard work she is just the best addition to our family and makes us get more exercise - even makes our grumpy teenage son smile !
A friend of mine had border collies and they were more obedient than her kids
Don’t over think it - I wish we’d done it years ago .Good Luck and enjoy .
We did exactly the same, almost identically but picked a little boy.

I knew I wanted a black, lab dog as my first adult dog from having one as a child, we weren’t fussed however about KC papers etc, so got him from a farm where they had both Mum and Dad, not a puppy farm, a working livery yard.
We chose a working dog rather than a show dog because they are more athletic, leaner, and easy to train.
He gets buckets of exercise as I take him for a 45 min off lead walk every morning before work, my husband finishes his main work at 2 and then the dog goes down with the horses and plays with the other dogs whilst my husband rides and mucks out etc, and our elderly neighbour loves him so we have given him a key and he wanders him round the neighbourhood, and even takes him into the pub for a drink.
I also did loads of puppy training and obedience classes with him.
Like yours though he isn’t a barker. But thinks birds and rabbits look a lot of fun 😂

So a working breed is definitely right for us, but he is very active even if not worked, he’s 11 months old and and no trouble.

I do hear collies are quite clingy though, and so I maybe wouldn’t choose that breed if he’s going to be home alone for long periods of time

Edited at 09:36 AM.
mitch84 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
hexagon
VIP Dibber

hexagon's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Originally Posted by THE WIZARD View Post
Don't get a working line unless your going to work him, that's what working lines are bread for not what they look like, they are an extremely intelligent breed & as such need a lot of mental as well as physical stimulation. Great if you are serious about trying for an agility club & will be training/working with the dog on a continual regular basis but they get very bored very quickly if not, just be aware of that. Go to Crufts n hang around the agility section to pick up some info. If you do have the time & are prepared to put the effort in then it's a fantastic thing to do.
I’m not fussed what the dog looks like. I’ve been repeatedly recommended to go for a working line dog, rather than a show line dog, and reading around makes it look like that’s what I should do. I’m looking for a border collie because you can do all this stuff with them, (not that you can’t do it with another dog, and I’ve looked through so many breeds over the past few years and no other breed has sung to me).
hexagon is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishmum
Imagineer

scottishmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by hexagon View Post
I’m not fussed what the dog looks like. I’ve been repeatedly recommended to go for a working line dog, rather than a show line dog, and reading around makes it look like that’s what I should do. I’m looking for a border collie because you can do all this stuff with them, (not that you can’t do it with another dog, and I’ve looked through so many breeds over the past few years and no other breed has sung to me).
I think wizard means that working border collies need an awful lot of stimulation, physically they can work all day long,
That takes a lot of commitment from the “average” owner.
They won’t be happy with just an hour or two a day.
Old 22 Apr 19, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
hexagon
VIP Dibber

hexagon's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by scottishmum View Post
I think wizard means that working border collies need an awful lot of stimulation, physically they can work all day long,
That takes a lot of commitment from the “average” owner.
They won’t be happy with just an hour or two a day.
Ohh, I’m not the best at interpreting text, sorry. I am very aware of how much stimulation both physically and mentally they need. I have all the time in the world, I am more than prepared to put in all the effort.
hexagon is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by hexagon View Post
Ohh, I’m not the best at interpreting text, sorry. I am very aware of how much stimulation both physically and mentally they need. I have all the time in the world, I am more than prepared to put in all the effort.
I think you sound very well prepared, and should go with your gut and get the dog you want.
Best of luck
We didn’t ask the breeder that much really with ours, we saw Mum and Dad and came early after the viewings started so we could get our pick of pups;
They separated the dogs from the bitches, and 2 of the little guys came straight to me, one was a little chubster who when I picked him up fell straight asleep on me. But because we are an active couple with horses my husband was keen on the other one, an inquisitive little guy who was trying to eat my necklace and earrings, we’ve had him nearly a year now

mitch84 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
A working collie is a massive commitment. A friend of mine has one she got free when it fell off an ATV at one year old and tore off a hind leg in the machinery being towed (well, not really free, she paid the vet bill, but the dog with all its legs was worth about £2,000)
This dog spends all day with her as she works outside - and I do mean all day. She NEVER leaves it at home alone. It's had a massive amount of training but because it isn't doing the job it was bred for she has to always find it things to do. It's a very happy and beautifully behaved dog because of her commitment to it. Having only three legs hasn't slowed it at all and it comes out riding with us and keeps up with the horses for hours.
The other thing about real working dogs is that they are not very people oriented. They're more interested in the task than they are in the person with them. They're not 'fuss' dogs if there are things to do.
On the other hand I know many working type collies that are paranoid and hyperactive due to just not having enough to do all day. OP can you give a working dog the input it needs?
I agree with you about 'show' dogs though I wouldn't have any breed that was bred specifically for show.
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by FlorayG View Post
The other thing about real working dogs is that they are not very people oriented. They're more interested in the task than they are in the person with them. They're not 'fuss' dogs if there are things to do.
I personally think there is a bit of nature vs nurture can play out here.

I know mine is a lab, not a collie, but he is from completely working lines. We got him at 7 weeks old, and he was fairly independent, he liked to sleep on his own, under a table, and wasn't particularly affectionate or clingy.

We picked him up, cuddled him, spent hours stroking him, talking to him, to the point now he is basically a very large lap dog, he loves nothing better than getting on his Dad's knee, and when he naps he prefers to have his head on one of our knees.

We don't work him, but he is outside with the horses plenty and walked a lot. I've also done quite a lot of obedience/fun training with him, so he gets tired. When he's in he basically sleeps.

Whilst I don't think you need to work working bred dogs, they might need more exercise/mental stimulation than their show friends, so it just depends on your lifestyle really I think
Old 23 Apr 19, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
hexagon
VIP Dibber

hexagon's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by mitch84 View Post
I think you sound very well prepared, and should go with your gut and get the dog you want.
Best of luck
We didn’t ask the breeder that much really with ours, we saw Mum and Dad and came early after the viewings started so we could get our pick of pups;
They separated the dogs from the bitches, and 2 of the little guys came straight to me, one was a little chubster who when I picked him up fell straight asleep on me. But because we are an active couple with horses my husband was keen on the other one, an inquisitive little guy who was trying to eat my necklace and earrings, we’ve had him nearly a year now

Thank you . Your doggo is beautiful.
Old 23 Apr 19, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
hexagon
VIP Dibber

hexagon's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by FlorayG View Post
A working collie is a massive commitment. A friend of mine has one she got free when it fell off an ATV at one year old and tore off a hind leg in the machinery being towed (well, not really free, she paid the vet bill, but the dog with all its legs was worth about £2,000)
This dog spends all day with her as she works outside - and I do mean all day. She NEVER leaves it at home alone. It's had a massive amount of training but because it isn't doing the job it was bred for she has to always find it things to do. It's a very happy and beautifully behaved dog because of her commitment to it. Having only three legs hasn't slowed it at all and it comes out riding with us and keeps up with the horses for hours.
On the other hand I know many working type collies that are paranoid and hyperactive due to just not having enough to do all day. OP can you give a working dog the input it needs?
I agree with you about 'show' dogs though I wouldn't have any breed that was bred specifically for show.
Yes i will have all the time in the world for the dog, I have thought this through very well and done my research